Matt mentioned Cal’s appearance on Bill O’Reilly last night, but looking at the clip this morning, it truly was odd. Here’s a three-minute clip of O’Reilly asking Cal about “the rap stuff, the hip-hop stuff,” and the “hustlers everywhere,” and Cal shooting down all of O’Reilly’s assumptions and stereotypes.

Transcript of the comments after the jump.

O’Reilly: I mean, you are a good guy coach but – now, the coaching has coarsened, you teach at the University of Kentucky it’s coarsened. I don’t know if you listen to this rap stuff and hip hop stuff. Has that changed their attitude? I mean, how do you impose discipline on kids who are pretty much gonna do what they want to do.

Cal: They trust – you have got to have trust first that they look at me and say is he about me. That’s what this book is about. They know that i’m about them and the decisions i make are in their interest, not my own, which is why I have a lot of kids leaving. I’m not influencing them to stay. I will tell them I want to keep copying you but i’m not going to hold you back. That’s a big part of this. Do they trust you enough? Do they look at you and say he is going to do right by my? If i tell a kid to starks you know the people around them are going to say he is just trying to win more games. I have got to let them make their decisions.

O’Reilly: Do they act differently toward you? Do these use four letter words towards you.

Cal: No, no.

O’Reilly: None of that?

Cal: No.

O’Reilly: So you impose strict discipline on that.

Cal: Yes. Here is what I would tell you. These kids come from good homes. People will say well he doesn’t have a father. Some of the best kids I coach were raised by a grandmother who was so firm that they understood.

O’Reilly: So you evaluate their character before you give them the scholarships.

Cal: If I walk in a home and a young man disrespects his mother or grandfather, grandmother in front of me, I’m out. Because if that’s the case, he respects no one. He is not going to respect me.

O’Reilly: Okay. How do you keep them away from temptation with the hustlers everywhere?

Cal: Who?

O’Reilly: So they go out with a girl and the girl said hey you raped me. There is drugs everywhere. They are giving the kids drugs for free. How do you keep them away from that?

Cal: One of the things I tell them coming to kentucky as you know, if you want to smoke, drink, chase, do all that stuff, they will do a 30/30 on you. They will be on the ticker, every news show. You can’t do that here. You are coming here to be developed as a person and a player.

O’Reilly: How many do that?

Cal: They all do.

O’Reilly: Temptation is strong.

Cal: We’ll deal with issues as they come up. They all look at the results. You and I know it’s one thing to walk in and say we’re going to do, this we’re going to do that it’s another thing to say here’s what we have done. Here is how they have been developed. We have had 17 players drafted. We have had 10 players get their college degrees. Our apr is as high as anybody in the country. Four years of a 30-0. They understand they are there to be educated. People will say well, they don’t want to go to school. That’s a bunch of crap. They do want to go to school. But their genius is basketball.

O’Reilly: Now, do you have guys on them all the time? Curfews? Coaches watching them drug testing it do you drug test.

Cal: We do all of that we have housing with no women that can go in there. 30 beds. People get honest about it. Why would you have separate them from the college? Because of what you said.

O’Reilly: Yeah.

Cal: They have to be. We also, I’m embarrassed to say take NBA security with us on the road. You would say, what? Well, where do you get to these guys? You are not getting to them on my campus. You are getting to them when we gone 00 road. We bring nba security with us to protect them. At the end of the day, how they were raised, what we looked at the when we recruited them, how we are now the standards that’s being set, they are going to be in situations where you are offered this, that, and the other. Do you take it or do you protect yourself to protect your brand? We used to call it our name. Now it’s your brand.

138 Comments for Watch Bill O’Reilly ask Calipari about “the rap stuff, the hip-hop stuff,” and hustlers

1. billybob
    12:37 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Shorter O’Reilly – “how do you deal with all those crazy wild black kids”

And by “black kids,” he means “my own idiot made-up perception of what I think they’re like”

• asdf
      12:49 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

You are the one injecting race into it. I didn’t hear O’Reilly mention ANYTHING in a racial context. He’s a former teacher and seemed interested in that context.

• stoopid
      12:52 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

O’Reilly literally said “African Americans” at the outset of that bit. Maybe you don’t hear so good.

O’Reilly is a blowhard asshat, but in this case and in general I think he’s just trying to stir up interesting conversation. He’s good at what he does.

• asdf
      12:54 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

If everyone too smart for you to understand is a “racist”, then everyone is racist…

• stoopid
      1:01 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

^^ Says the guy who claimed race was not injected in the interview. Come on man, you’re representing all UK fans when you post. Think.

1:14 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

touche

• scot
      1:32 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

exactly

• aldirt
      1:35 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

It’s called a dog whistle. Either you’re too dense to understand it, or too racist to aknowledge it

2. Mc
    12:38 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

This is like some bizarre scene from Back to the Future. Cal did an interview in the 50’s.

3. Steve
    12:41 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I actually had no problem with the interview questions. You have to remember the demographics of this show, and that a lot of the viewers had the same questions in their minds. Cal did a great job of answering them patiently.

4. Nothing weird at all about this
    12:42 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

If you watch Bill O’s show regularly he talks about these kinds of things all the time. He is just trying to raise awareness cause other journalists are cowards and won’t touch stuff like this because they will be called a racist. He wants to help the black community, so if you find something wrong with that then maybe you should look in the mirror.

• Bigger Blue
      1:02 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

He wants to help the black community???? Hahaha I guess that is because his party attracts so many black voters huh?

Dude, why don’t you get back to finishing your neck tattoo, slam a shot of Crown and show me one of those Ls you make with your fingers and thumb!

• Billsux
      1:21 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I am a fairly right-leaning guy, but that interview was embarrassing for Bill O. Making the behavior of the players the central issue might have made sense if our kids were thugs. He’s asking these questions about kids who have proven to be high-character kids by being in the spotlight for YEARS and keeping a clean profile.

Whatever Bill. All you apologists defending him, feel free to EAD.

Thanks!

• Blue
      1:25 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

“His party”? So I guess we have The Raciest Party and The Non-Raciest Party? Wow I thought both the Republican and Democratic party’s allowed people of any and all races. You have enlightened me to an incredible revelation when it comes to American politics. Thank you!

• jus sayin
      1:31 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Haha You really believe that?

5. ukfaninohio
    12:42 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

People cry racism over any and everything today.I keep waiting for Obama to say the only reason we’re making him leave after this term is because he’s black.

• YT
      1:19 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

That’s only something racists and racists apologists say. I bet you have a black friend…

• Luther
      4:58 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

The Democratic Party contains more racists, by far, than any other…

6. O'RLY
    12:43 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Bill O’Reilly is completely racist. This is awkwardly hilarious.

• Luther
      4:58 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

You’re a racist clown and bigot…

7. Eric
    12:43 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Honestly I don’t think it’s a bad interview. This “rap stuff, hip hop stuff” has changed the mindset and people are more disrespectful because of it.

A lot of inner-city, african american kids have no manners, no family values, and they do what they want (because they have never had a family). Stereotypes are generally true which is why they came about in the first place.

Now, that’s not the type of kids that Cal recruits, but when you look around college basketball and football as a whole and see the amount of ‘thugs’ that are out there, I can see where Bill can ask these questions.

I know that this website as a whole is a liberal website (Matt Jones is not secretive about his political values), but don’t jump on a guy who just goes by what he sees (this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo_FYVwIeaY) and then makes an interview out of it.

• Bigger Blue
      12:46 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Racist much?

• Good point
      12:48 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

This is a great point — you sound like someone who is a certified expert on the lives of young urban black kids. I think a lot of black people would be surprised to learn that they never had a family. Thanks professor!

12:56 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Bigger Blue ? Do u have a point or a fact cause your post is pitiful!!

• Bigger Blue
      1:03 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Carmine, get back in Class, UofL didn’t cancel because of snow today dude!

• bmack
      1:06 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Wow. Just … wow. Crawl back in your cave, Eric. Please stop embarrassing my home state with your ignorant, racist bile.

• J
      1:13 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I agree, Eric and a lot of others in this thread are a terrible example of people of Kentucky. Racist to the freaking core. Shut. Up.

1:18 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

If you made the statement that inner city crime was higher per capita than other parts of the country, I’m sure that someone would take offense and call you a racist. Wonder if they really understand what the word means.

8. That's what she said...
    12:43 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

It does sound out of touch. However, consider that Bill may be framing these things in a manner for his audience to get Cal to explain why the stereotypes aren’t true. On the flip side, if the “hustlers” comment had no merit, why would Cal have NBA security when the team is on the road? That part is legit. People can at least try to not let a bias dismiss everything in the interview. It did a great job of speaking to those people who may have no clue about the reality of the culture at UK and big time college basketball.

12:58 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

WOW we do have a person on here with a Brain!!! Kudos for actually thinking for yourself!!

1:19 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I second that.

9. Luda
    12:43 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Who let these hoes in my room?

10. Bob Cobb
    12:43 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

“So they go out with a girl and the girl said hey you raped me. There is drugs everywhere. They are giving the kids drugs for free. How do you keep them away from that?”

That sounds like a question from Da Ali G Show.

12:54 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

So no rape , drugs or women beating happens with college athletes?

• Bob Cobb
      1:02 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

No, I mean it literally sounds like a question from Da Ali G Show. The subject matter, the disjointed nature of the question, and the messed up grammar and sentence structure.

• DS
      1:14 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Like (Thumbs up)

11. Mark
    12:44 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Take a look at some of these Drake lyrics and maybe you’ll understand why O’Reilly has the perception he does. . .not that I’m an O’Reilly fan or anything because I’m not. He definitely does his share of ‘stereotyping and over-generalization’. However, the ‘rap and hip-hop culture’ is a thing and it is a thing that perpetuates major problems.

Drake is someone these kids idolize. This is not somebody I’d want my kids hanging around with. These lyrics strike me as racist, they objectify women, encourage violence, drug use, etc. I don’t see any way around that.

• Teachable Mo'
      1:17 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Ah, rap lyrics. If lyrics were the mirror of the man Johnny Cash could have been executed for murder around a dozen times.

“You got the Country ‘Outlaw’ Music.” How do you keep these ridge runners out of jail?”

1:22 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Name a Johnny Cash song where he encourages rape? Please research it while we wait patiently.

1:29 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Is this the same NCAA who failed/refused to investigate certain schools for impropriety, aka selective enforcement?

• Johnny Cash
      1:33 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

“… Because I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die…”

2:00 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Do you understand the meaning of “cause and effect”? Here let me help you.

“Well I know I had it coming, I know I can’t be free”

Carry on.

FYI, what you posted had nothing to do with encouraging rape.

• DS
      3:08 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Are you suggesting the NCAA is selectively surveying white athletes for illicit drug use?

12. Bigger Blue
    12:45 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

O’Really is a moron! Like most pundits of his ilk, he buys into stereotypes and soundbites, with no regard for credibility of “sources” and the authors of his “talking points.” I wish Cal had never done this interview… Bill O’Really didn’t even listen to the answers (you can’t listen when you are talking over someone), much less absorb anything Cal was teaching.

• stoopid
      12:57 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I don’t recall him talking over Cal when I saw this last night. I’m no fan of Bill, but let’s be reasonable here.

1:24 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Name me a host nowadays that does. People watch Jon Stewart for creditable “news”.

13. Ridge Runner
    12:45 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I know what you are saying Ms T but there are those out there (some blue hairs in fact) that have these questions I’m sure. Still, O’Reilly was respectful and courteous to Coach. I’m ok with it.

14. That's what she said...
    12:46 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Also, calling O’Reilly a racist is lazy and lacks any of the intellectual capability to have an honest conversation about race whereby parties try to understand one another. I’m not a fan of his, but I respect his attempts to push an honest conversation.

1:01 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Again you are right !! They dont want to discuss it rationally cause they have no facts to back up the interview being racist!! Like race baters do they want to end the argument cause they have no facts , information or even an informed opinion to offer.

• That's what she said...
      1:13 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

It’s sad more than being lazy, but it’s definitely both. The larger problem is having no clue that claiming “racist” every time the conversation shifts to a level whereby peoples perceptions and personal realities are put out in the open, is a sure fire way to ensure there can be no progress. True open-mindedness is where you can consider or try to understand something you absolutely disagree with. Dismissing things out of hand as “racist”, well what do you think that is?

2:01 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Could not have said it better myself.

15. Jeff
    12:49 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

African Americans have no family values because slavery destroyed their families and culture.

• asdf
      12:53 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Actually, the war on poverty did that, and not only to blacks.

• Mark
      12:56 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

There is a degree to which this is true. It would be difficult to maintain family values with the kind of treatment and oppression that African Americans have endured. However, many many have managed to do so.

The important question to me is for those who have broken families (white or black), how can those be rebuilt? In my opinion, lyrics like Drake’s are not helping…

• Bob Cobb
      12:56 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Epically dumb.

1:32 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

so when poor non blacks rise above poverty, what excuse do we use for them?

16. Carmine
    12:53 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Hey Tyler!! U too? DID LEN BIAS GET FREE COKE? DO COLLEGE ATHLETES GET ARRESTED FOR HITTING WOMEN? DID U of L players smoke pot? DIDNT WE HAVE UK PLAYERS BEFORE CAL GET ARRESTED FOR WEED? DIDNT RICHIE FARMER GET IN TROUBLE ? DIDNT FORMER UK PLAYERS HAVE SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE LAW? PLEASE Tyler since u made your opinion so clear why are these unfair questions? I thought one of UK players may have sworn at Cal, Im surprised they havent!!! WE GET IT KSR U DONT LIKE BILL O’REILLY BUT THE INTERVIEW WAS FAIR…Want to promote your book u answer questions that the host asks for christ sakes…NOT TO MENTION CAL HAD NO PROBLEM WITH IT AND IF U KSR IDIOTS SAW CAL YESTERDAY EVEN THOUGH HE SAID HE WASNT MAD AT REX.. IN THE CAL WAY HE MADE IT CLEAR HE WAS ANNOYED.. DONT U THINK THAT IF BILL OREILLY WAS THAT UNFAIR CAL WOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING? OR MADE A TYPICAL CAL COMMENT SHOWING HIS FEELINGS… BUT NO HE SAID TWICE NOW THE INTERVIEW WAS GREAT!!CAL ALSO SAID HE CANT WAIT TO GET OREILLY TO A GAME..WOW CAL SEEMS UPSET AT THAT INTERVIEW.. Dont u have something better to do then not just hate on people but trying to get others to hate also? Plus Tyler u were the main person blaming REX on the live blog..Please hating and begging others to hate is far worse then the questions Oreilly asked.. Plus im sure non of this is cause u are liberal im sure u judged Oreillys interview fairly.. U know maybe Cal going on Oreilly leaked right before Uconn game.. Maybe we can blame Oreilly for that too!!!

• Bigger Blue
      12:55 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Stop the shouting! Its starting to sound like Bill O’Reilly attacking a gulf war vet in here!

12:57 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Again Bigger Blue has nothing to offer!!

• UKnoff
      1:12 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

That was painful to read and credibility was lost on the all caps and improper spelling.

This is an odd line of questioning and everyone is speculating. I don’t think Bill O’Reilly is racist. I get that these questions could have been set up this way for Cal to shoot them down and change people’s perspective. But, these questions could also be gotcha questions to stir controversy like Fox, MSNBC, CNN,etc all do. They then have a manufactured story. I do think that it was poorly phrased.

And Carmine…we get it..you don’t like Liberals. If someone can’t see both sides of this then you aren’t thinking for yourself.

• DS
      1:18 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Seems about right for a Bill O’Reilly fan and poor grammar to go hand in hand.

• NO1UNO
      1:38 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I watched the interview and saw nothing wrong at all. MJones supports Obama (socialist marxist), MTyler works for Jones and recycles this liberal crap while the KSR braintrust sits around and makes sport of the shit-storm in the comments section. It would be funny if not so sad. I come here for news on UK sports…that’s all. I do admit that I get more than that although I don’t seek it out and am not interested about it. I have learned that generally, those here that are the most foul, loud, obnoxious support Matt and everything he says…AND defend liberals, socialism, marxism, rule-of-law, the US Constitution, America, fairness, honesty, integrity, good character, and liberty. Sounds like a bunch U of L fans to me but sadly, it’s not so…because ignorance has no alma mater.

1:40 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

LOL My credibility was lost cause i rushed it cause u idiots had me so mad!!!! SO my grammar is what u site ?? I dont hate liberals … I hate people who call racism with out anything to back it up .. LOL and who is speculating? Liberals are !! Name some people who are not liberal that had a problem with this interview!!! AND UKNOFF grats on using spell check !! Plus look again at your post !! You have 8 sentences and should have 5!! You Mullet..

17. lexslamman
    12:53 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Surprise, surprise – another racist conservative.

• Danny
      12:58 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Surprise, surprise — another racist blind libtard.

1:02 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

How is he a racist?

1:35 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Doubtful that you even understand the meaning.

18. blue
    12:53 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

can’t even begin to argue or have a discussion with a guy whose basic premises are false and bigoted

1:05 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

My guess is u are talking about yourself? Cause i missed any points or facts in your post

• DS
      1:24 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Carmine major burned you.

19. Danny
    12:54 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Stereotypes? Racism? Really? All you have to do it look up the road to see the point. Behanan, Ware, All the UL Running Backs… Its real people. Stop living with your heads in the sand. Oh wait, Colbert and Stewart don’t cover these things. That’s your excuse.

As for Cal, he didn’t deny that there is a real threat to his players from these things. He said he chooses players with great character. Meaning, there are those that don’t have great character. Great interview and dialog.

Libs………..

1:06 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Ditto

• DS
      1:21 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

What about this study that found that lacrosse players (which has to be one of the most upper-class and white-dominant college sports) has the highest rate of drug usage of all college athletes? How does that fit in with your racist stereotypes?

2:08 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

DS,

Did you even read the link before you posted it? Ask yourself how credible a vouluntary study conducted by the NCAA is and then get back to me for discussion.

• DS
      3:06 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

UKfan,

Did you read the link? Ask yourself why we should discredit an ANONYMOUS voluntary survey and then get back to me for discussion.

20. Steve
    12:57 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Matt needs to get off the agenda with O’Reilly. I watched the interview Cal did with Mike Francesa on his show from New York and learned more about what happened during this season and what might happen during the off season than listening to the locals during the last 4 months.
    O’Reilly comes from a political standpoint and is asking tougher questions than a sports writer would.Cal did great and thought the Kentucky brand was enhanced by both the interviews with Francesa and O’Reilly.

1:03 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Agreed!!

21. Hill
    12:58 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I thought Cal did a great job in the interview. I thought Oreilly treated Cal better than he treats most of his guests.

22. Richard Rapp
    1:02 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

O’Baxter is NO conservative. Merely an obnoxious gas bag.

But he IS the most popular guy on TV-so, if ya wanta sell books…..

23. kumbaya
    1:04 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

So i’ll try to hit the center here. On the one hand, people (esp conservatives) are really really sensitive to being called racists. I think of part of it is that they resent being attacked for opposing policies that really have nothing to do with race. In short, they resent the bullying of it. I get that.

But at the same, there are some things that are motivated by racial anxiety, fear, etc. I think “racism” is not always the best word b/c it shuts down conversation. But here, O’Reilly’s questions are really problematic.

He is assuming that these players have characteristics (negative, cartoonish characteristics) based solely on their race. He’s not saying he’s for segregation, but that’s a form of racially motivated thinking (i.e., racism).

You can be skeptical of the use of race in American politics – again, I get that. But even if you do, these are incredibly ignorant questions that would outrage you if they were “Kentucky redneck” steroetype questions

1:15 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Cmon man u started the post correctly!!! Len Bias , Ray Rice , Aaron Hernandez, Aldon Slith , Many U of L players ( dope and death threats on there twitter account) I put Len Bias cause its said he never paid for Coke.. SO HE MUST HAVE BEEN GIVEN FREE DRUGS!! Was Len Bias given free drugs cause he was a good singer? The scary thing is that u idiots are showing that u cant even talk about any issue without the sleezy race merchants calling racism.. Its sad but not as sad as i feel for those of u who really think that was a racist interview!

• UKnoff
      1:17 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

It came across that he lumped everyone in that listens to Hip Hop or Rap as troublemakers or disrespectful.

Cal did a great job dismissing the culture that is at Kentucky.

• YT
      1:33 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

How is Len Bias relevant here? Carmine keeps bringing that up. Not sure the times and culture today even compares at all. These kids are under a microscope those guys knew nothing about.

1:44 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

SO YT? Players got free drugs when Len Bias played and u know that players today arent offered drugs? How do u know that? U of L seems to have many players who get lots of POT!! Pot is way more popular today then in Len Bias time!! Please explain why just saying that was a long time ago means that it doesnt happen today?

• YT
      2:37 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m sure all those things are true. My point was not that it doesn’t happen. I doubt there are too many basketball players at big time programs doing cocaine. Most of the guys especially the ones that are at UK know are looking toward the NBA and know that they have an image and brand to protect. With social media and camera phones today a lot of stuff can get out really fast. Just think kids these days are more cognoscente of the these things.

24. Danny
    1:06 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m really starting to hate coming to this website for all the political garbage. I expect it in the comments section, but when the writers/admins start pushing it, I’m done. Matt, if you read these comments, you should reconsider the political slants. Dont forget, the majority of the UK fan base is NOT liberal. That would be UL’s fanbase. I know you might hate this, but the free market controls your success.

• Steve
      1:12 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Well said. The title of this piece was a joke. Something the C-J would have done.

25. Honky Kong
    1:06 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I didn’t think that was odd at all & learned something new about what goes on behind the scenes.

26. wow
    1:10 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

O’Reilly is a elitist who things all blacks without ivy league degrees are thugs and all Kentuckians are red necks case closed

27. Bdmnky81
    1:10 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

It’s hilarious to read white suburban people scream racism….

28. WakeUp
    1:11 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

“Bill O’reilly” on his show is every bit as much a contrived character as “Stephen Colbert” is on the Colbert Report. It is a characiture painted in order to attract the demographic that has been sold to advertisers. This is how broadcast media works. Judging O’reilly the person based on what “O’reilly” the character does is irresponsible. That said, I hate the character. He gives conservatives a bad name with his closed-minded preachiness and hatred of liberty. Good for a laugh time to time though.

29. wow
    1:11 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Danny just go get on the fox news website and stay away this one

1:27 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

So danny makes a valid point so now he should go to fox news? Thanks for making it clear how truly ignorant the negative O’Reilly posts on here are today!!

30. Chris
    1:13 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

People saying this isn’t racist need to learn read between the lines. This team has had absolutely no discipline problems, yet Bill insists on making the whole interview about uncontrollable youths who listen to the rap and the hippity-hop. He sees a team of predominantly young black men and all he can think about is how undisciplined and rambunctious they must be, in spite of there being absolutely no evidence that that’s the case.

1:19 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

READ BETWEEN THE LINES lol thats always said when someone didnt say anything bad but u dont like the person and want to pin them as racist or some other unjustified insult!! HELLO Bill doesnt follow are team .. His questions were based in what he sees all athletes get into… Plus u must me a sexist.. Cause u clearly are ignoring how many women get beaten by young athletes.. See im joking about the sexist thing cause im not comfortable calling someone names like that without any eveidence of it… READ BETWEEN THE LINES lol such bs

• Steve
      1:32 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I doubt O’Reilly watched one game outside MAYBE the FF that Kentucky played in this year. I doubt O’Reilly could name more than one player on the entire Kentucky team.
      In my view, O’Reilly was asking general questions about discipline and respect, and how Cal was able to achieve those qualities with kids that young and that talented. Most kids are all about themselves.

For those who have not watched O’Reilly’s show, he has made a point to tell the country that the US is going down the tubes because of the lack of the family unit. 72% of black children are born out of wedlock thus his question to Cal about the respect his players pay to the person that is head of the household be it mother, grandmother, or whomever. O’Reilly has asked Obama to be more forthcoming about this problem but sadly, IN MY VIEW, Obama has been a divider.

• TheBigTrout
      1:33 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

It’s the same lines etched by the people hailing a black kid from Oakland for going to the Ivy League and getting a 1500 SAT score.

31. David
    1:16 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Nothing odd or surprising in interview. O’Reilly simply articulated stereo-types and perceptions that a majority of America has towards athletes in general and black athletes in particular. Doug Gottlieb was on CBS radio day after championship making the case that UConn won because their black athletes are “urban” while ours are “suburban” blacks. And he is supposedly a sports guy!!! I thought Cal did a great job answering questions and clearing up misconceptions that are real whether people want to acknowledge them or not. O’Reilly simply gave him the platform to do it. In fact, if Cal had been giving answers that O’Reilly didn’t like then he would have been a lot more confrontational, even attacking. IMO, he asked exactly what Cal wanted as this week has seemed to be all about protecting and projecting the “players first” brand that Cal wants to promote. O’Reilly helped Cal do just that.

32. Too sensitive
    1:19 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

O’Reilly admitted he doesn’t follow basketball. There is a faction of people out there who do believe certain programs, including UK, are full of uneducated, entitled trouble makers. He gave Cal a chance to respond to that myth. And Cal knocked it out of the park. That’s a good thing. Would you rather him ask softball questions?

1:22 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

THe questions have nothing to do with it.. They hate the person who asked them , so they are not concerned with being fair or how fair the interview was ,it seems they just want to hate on O’reilly!

• Ron Steele
      7:10 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

The vast majority of people don’t give a rat’s behind about college basketball. They don’t know the players or the coaches or the history at all. Put an Olympics Women’s Figure Skating event up against a basketball game & the skating event will blow it out of the water. To have your college coach go on the most wildly popular cable news show & talk basketball really is quite an accomplishment. Can you even name any other college coach who’s ever been on the O’Reilly Factor? I can’t.

33. Jayone
    1:20 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Is this a UK sports forum or a liberal forum to advance KSR’s political agenda. The term racist means nothing. Nothing at all. Calling somebody a racist is becoming a compliment. The more I read this site the more I have to question why. Sports is an outlet from the reality of the world and the last place political opinions should be shard.

The bottom line is Coach Cal went on Fox because that is where the ratings are. CNN is still looking for a lost plane in the Indian Ocean, MSNBC is preaching the KSR gospel of racism and no one is watching or paying attention to either one. So to promote the UK brand and sell his book, Coach went on the only network that matters to the majority. That is just the way it is.

• Chicago Chris
      2:44 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

You’re right, some do see it as a compliment. At least you don’t hide behind silly denial.

• Tampa Satchel
      7:14 am April 16, 2014 Permalink

Fox has high ratings for a fee of its shows, but nowhere near a majority of Americans. That would be around 175 million viewers. They’re highest rated shows bring in 10-20 million viewers which is below 5% of Americans. Theirs is not the majority point of view.

34. Kevin C.
    1:21 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I usually can’t stand Bill O’Reilly, but he was actually pretty professional and fair in that interview. #CalipariEffect ?

35. raccoon
    1:23 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Pretty sure if Cal thought that O’Reilly was unfairly injecting racial stereotypes he would have said something. The extent to which people will read racist intent in political commentary as a mechanism to discredit those that they generally don’t agree with is alarming and pervasive. Cal did a great job – I think he really presented our program in a great light.

• TheBigTrout
      1:29 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Well said, Raccoon. People are fulfilling the prophecy of what Dr. Ben Carson addressed prior to Cal’s appearance on the factor.

36. HackRichards
    1:25 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Sad part is we have Liberal Lexingtonians who would actually BOO Bill O’Reilly, who happens to be the most successful News Analyst of all time. I am a democrat by the way.

37. TheBigTrout
    1:26 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

O’Reilly’s questions may have appeared out of left field, but they were questions that have ran through the minds of an overwhelming majority of people. While some of us may be beyond the pejorative use of hip hop and rap, it does not mean we aren’t immune to seeing the racial and class dynamics of what is occurring at Kentucky and all of college basketball. Hip hop, however irresponsibly it may, addresses some of these realities that many of these young men have faced outside of what we see on the basketball court; and for the average American the word “rap” is a slightly more politically correct way of saying “poor” or “black”, which are words that all cross our minds. Do you not think Cal is implying some of these societal hurdles when he says he is helping families? What types of families is Cal helping? What kind of lives is he improving? O’Reilly was simply trying to address some of these hurdles. As for the cultural literacy of those at KSR, it really is quite evident that hip hop appreciation is not Ms. Tyler’s or Matt Jones’s oyster. With that being said, I find it amusing that accusations of O’Reilly’s perceived insensitivity come from those with the same aloofness. Acknowledging stereotypes and assumptions is evidence of their own stereotypes and assumptions; stereotypes and assumptions we all possess. Posts like these reek of a condescending indignation and are no more than the pot calling the kettle black, or the white person accusing the next white person of being too white.

38. Sick and tired
    1:34 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I think O’Reilly asked the questions that should be asked….I wouldnt expect any reporter to ask the same questions. This is something that everyone at one time or the other wonders about. Get a life KSR.

39. HackRichards
    1:35 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Ask Chane Behanon, ask the Penn State Five, ask the Tennesee players from a few years back, ask Lenny Bias whenever you meet your maker if O’reilly’s questions were off base.

40. BigBlue37
    1:38 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

What is O’ Reilly’s obsession with drugs and rap? Is that all he thinks these kids do in their free time? lol He could have asked better questions than that.

41. J
    1:40 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

It’s only been a week and Cal is looking young again. Got his mojo back.

42. MJ4UK
    1:40 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

O’Reilly asked those questions with the intent of letting coach Cal put those stereotypes at rest, and to allow him to promote his way of discipline, players first, and how he runs the program. Cal done a great job. Its called journalism. That is how journalism is supposed to be done. It was not pandering to one party or the other, one group of people or another. Asking questions that the majority of Americans want to know the answer to. Not one time did he say he agreed with any stereotype, he brought them up for Cal to “shoot them down.” So all you liberal schmucks who can’t see past your party’s agenda of making everything about race, take a seat and learn how real, unbiased, journalism is done

• jus sayin
      1:43 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

No he didn’t if he was trying to “put stereotypes to rest” he wouldn’t bring them up every opportunity he gets.

2:10 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I bet you use throw out the word racist every chance you get “jus sayin”

• MJ4UK
      2:23 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Ok…Watch O’Reilly tonight and see how many stereotypes he mentions. Pretty sure he doesn’t bring them up every chance he gets.

43. jus sayin
    1:42 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I like how it is perfectly acceptable to assume our basketball players who were all honor roll students in High School “Don’t respect women” but you call O’Reily a racist for consistently saying racist things and all of sudden you are a hippy.

44. Tennessee’s Coaching Hot Board…Who Should Replace Cuonzo Martin? http://wp.me/p4pLOr-bN

45. Brian Jones
    1:48 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I agree with a previous comment. I didn’t have a problem with the questions at all. I love KSR and Matt, but I think he blew this out of proportion a little. Yes, i’m a republican and Yes i’m a fan of Bill O’Reilly; nevertheless, I DO think his questions were fine and I think the Cal did an FANTASTIC job of answering them and showing America that there ARE good kids out there and we recruit them. They care about school and the community, etc. I feel like Bill O’Reilly (it sounded to me) was asking in a manner as to say this is how it happens in places and this is the generalization that people make, now you tell us that those generalizations are not always true…..and of course Cal did that beautifully.

Matt I love what you do, but I think maybe you made that interview segment sound worse than it was. I know you said there are only a couple of instances you’d consider watching O’Reilly and I respect that, but I thought that portion of the interview was very good.

46. Brian Jones
    1:55 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

In short, I think O’Reilly is basically saying there ARE real problems out there and they cause these certain perceptions about college programs in general (U of L….hello!). Tell me about UK and how you handle your program. Cal did that and did it beautifully. There are issues and precautions that have to be taken, but WE HAVE A BASKETBALL PROGRAM AND KIDS TO BE PROUD OF. That’s what we should take from that!

47. Gman
    2:13 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

So racism is saying anything that reflects poorly on a large portion of the Black community, even if it is true? It’s racist even if backed with statistical, and allegorical data? I love Matt’s sport talk, but the guy is a raging socialist. Now whether that is because he wasn’t able to pass a basic economy 101 course, or because he honestly believes that the conservative values of capitalism and small government don’t work, is up for debate. The problem is that he has surrounded himself with sycophants, or the uneducated, who are willing to push his agenda on a growing number of articles. It is a sad day when inconvenient truth is labeled racist. There are racists in this world, but Bill O’Reilly isn’t one of them. Racism is believing someone is born bad. That being born black automatically makes you evil. It is however not racist to state that the predominant segment of black culture is one that supports and promotes crime and vulgarities. Many Black men and Women have escaped that culture, but many more have not. My statements are not racist, and if you believe so then I suppose you are simply beyond help. God bless you, and God bless UK!

48. mike
    2:52 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

WOW, how silly this is, I’m not going to change my mind, and you are not going to change yours, and do you think calling each other names going to do it, I think not, so can we just talk about some basketball?

49. ukhang9
    3:58 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

@Bigger Blue
    The Big O asks questions because the intolerant left is scared to ask the real questions. Furthermore, how in the hell is the Republican party racist??? The left screams uncle tom at every Republican black man/woman that chooses to think for himself vs. doing what the Democratic party tells him/her to do. It is intellectual slavery, something the left has been practicing for years.

50. No Bill No Way
    4:46 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Bill O’Reilly is a Grade A-USDA Prime @ss. You want to ruin Kentucky’s brand with 18-19 year old kids and especially African American ones? Yeah, bring that bitter old jerk to a game. Let him sit with Digger Phelps and Bobby Knight and whatever Klan leader you can round up.

• Ron Steele
      7:01 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Maybe he should bring Al Sharpton?

• Ron Steele
      7:20 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Hey, No Bill No Way, has the Dumbocrat got your tongue? Jerkweed………….

51. Seriously??
    4:54 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Based on the post, I thought O’Reilly’s interview was going to be awful. After watching it, I really don’t understand why so many people have a problem with anything that was discussed. Calipari certainly didn’t seem to have a problem with any of the questions. If anything, Cal seemed to embrace the questions. Sometimes the BBN overreacts to any implied slight to the coaches, players, etc, real or otherwise.

52. Roy
    5:24 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

When are Fox News producers going to discover that there are more fonts to choose from that Arial and Arial Bold?

53. el hombre juan
    5:31 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Lol @ the Colbert and Stewart burn.

If the lacrosse players are doing a lot of drugs, it’s because mommy and daddy’s allowance affords them a bump here and there. It’s ok though, after college they’ll grow up and go work for daddy at the company and be productive members of society….whatever that means.

DS, your post should have read, “and then get BLACK to me for discussion.” You missed one there, friend.

54. Ron Steele
    6:59 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Let’s be honest, the little girl that wrote this article is at the very best a pathetic hack writer on a pathetic hack site. If you want to know why some real journalists don’t like the KSR Frat crew look no further than this laughably idiotic “article” by this little girl. Oh & now they’ll ban me. Just what you’d expect from a jack-booted liberal Dumbocrat thug. As someone else pointed out, go look at how the national election played out in Kentucky & you’ll see why these weenie-tots here on KSR are playing with fire.

55. Rob Steele
    7:22 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Hey, No Bill No Way, has the Dumbocrat got your tongue? Jerkweed…..

56. roundball fool
    9:13 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Pretty typical Bill O’Reilly- he has certain themes he sticks to- cultural collapse etc.Cal handled this deftly and tried to steer it back to what he wanted to say.

I’m not sure how some of the above posters read so much into this and to trash the lady that did the post is rude and frankly, desperate.

57. Secretariat
    12:52 am April 16, 2014 Permalink

He never would have asked any of those questions if a majority of the players were white. He has shown a basic assumption that he makes about minority kids. Whether intentional or not, those assumptions are racist.