Washington Post columnist rips Pitino a new one

You’re looking at Sally Jenkins, and today, we all bow at her feet. Jenkins is a columnist for The Washington Post, and today, wrote quite possibly the most epic piece of satire yet about Rick Pitino and the Louisville scandal. Jenkins eviscerated Pitino and his hypocrisy in her piece, entitled “Nothing to see in Louisville basketball program; just ask Rick Pitino.” The opening paragraph:

In my basketball program, we promote a family atmosphere. Okay, maybe the atmosphere got a little too family, when my chief recruiter modeled himself on a father figure who once got blackmailed for having sex on a restaurant tabletop. But our team is based on relationships and trust, so you should trust me when I say that I didn’t know a thing about any strippers and prostitutes. Just in case you don’t take my word for it, here is my nephew, who can vouch for me. He says I didn’t know.

(That last line refers to William Minardi.)

No other coach, player, or trainer knew anything about any of this, especially not me. Obviously something happened in that dorm, from what people are saying on ESPN, the strippers who danced at two dozen parties over four years, and the five players who would talk to ESPN only anonymously for fear of reprisals from the Louisville family. I am dedicated to finding the whole truth of the matter. Which is why I texted my nephew, who used to live in the dorm, the one I named after his father. He said, “I never saw a thing.”

Girl did the damn thing. Go check it out right now.

[Washington Post: Nothing to see in Louisville basketball program; just ask Rick Pitino]

48 Comments for Washington Post columnist rips Pitino a new one

1. John Ellis
    2:47 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I don’t mean to question her veracity, but I believe it was actually on the booth cushion, all fifteen seconds of it.

• John Ellis
      2:48 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Any settlement with Pitino should include requiring him to remove the Louisville tattoo.

• UofLOL
      3:53 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

How much funnier would that “National champion” tattoo be when they vacate the title haha

• tony
      12:45 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I suggest everyone read Ms Jenkins response to Lance Armstrong’s (her co-author of two books) being stripped of his Tour medals… She has no credibility….

“I’ve searched high and low for my anger at Lance, and I can’t find it. It’s just not there. I checked – looked in every corner, and I’m empty of it. I’ve tried for weeks now to summon the moral certitude and outrage that others seem to demand, and I don’t have it, maybe because he’s my friend and co-author……but also because my opinion of him was never based on what he did in a bike race in France 10 years ago. And while we’re on that subject, there is no question in my mind he was the hardest-working cyclist in the world, and for the life of me, I can’t find the competitive injustice in his seven Tour de France victories.”

2. UKChillfan
    3:05 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

About as good as it gets, enjoyed the read.

• catdaddyd
      10:13 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Damn Catlin Jenner is everywhere.

3. Dude
    3:07 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Did she confuse Richard for Rick’s nephew?

4. Dude
    3:09 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

OK, nevermind.

5. BlueFins
    3:11 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

BOOM! Very nice! L1*C7 laughing stock of college basketball.

6. Joe Kyle
    3:11 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

She’s convinced me of one thing, Tom Jurich didn’t know this was going on, if he did no way he would re-up Rick’s long term high dollar contract for as long and as much as he did.

• UKBlue1!
      3:51 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Ole Tommy Turtleneck thought they would never get caught. I think they all knew. This is one of the dirtiest programs in all of college sports.

7. Catlogic 15
    3:21 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Great satirical view.
    Makes hilarious the absurdness of “nobody knew or saw a thing”.

8. Fayette County
    3:23 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Many colleges have scandals. I’m sure at some point something was taken to Pitino. But, laughing stock? No, just joke of the day. Uk, Syracuse, and many others have been there. Times moves fast. This, too, shall pass. We need little brother to be strong to lift our state with us so we propser. In otherwords, laugh now but quit sucking this b*tches tit you douche.

• CatsBy80
      3:36 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

T-Will, is that you?

• ClutchCargo
      3:42 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Not only is he in denial about the severity of this, he is even trying to pretend he isn’t a U of L fan.

9. FayetteTheTroll
    3:38 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

nice try, but I’ll keep suckin this tit as long as it keeps tasting sweet. You go suckin on what ever you lke.

• ClutchCargo
      3:48 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Her face looks like she just walked in on Katina Powell taking it up the pooper from Montrezl, but yes by all means keep sucking that tit because it is indeed sweet!

• AlinIndy
      5:01 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Just last Monday a guy was still giving me hell for the loss to Wisconsin, as I told him I was over it and you uvel folks should be more worried about your future as your worried about our past. He then told me that’s going nowhere, they’ve all forgotten what that was all about….That was before the “Dutchess of the Dorm” made her TV debut Tuesday…….He’s missing in action as I type…..I’ve called, texted….Just like he’s disappeared off the face of the earth…..

10. BDP
    3:42 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

So can the Tards 2016 recruits get out of there commitments? I would not want to go there. Don’t they have one five star commit? Surely he doesn’t want to enter that mess. We already dominate this team, it is really going to get bad if they can’t recruit (bad PR, unable to use hookers, ect)

• inside info2
      3:55 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

If I knew the staff was going to give me money to get laid I wouldn’t want to leave!

• CatsBy80
      3:59 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

i read on ESPN yesterday that some kid committed to UofL yesterday, despite all of this swarming around their program… not sure i understand the logic of his choice.

11. inside info2
    3:54 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Any other coach in America would have already resigned over this. I really can’t believe The President or Chancellor hasn’t forced Jurich to force Pitino to resign. Yesterday and the day before the scuttlebutt in the Athletic Department was that Pitino was gone. Today somebody said that Jurich is defending Pitino even harder behind the scenes. Absolutely crazy. Jurich should be fired too.

• Catlogic15
      4:42 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Jurich wants Pitino there as long as he can. He wants to wait to serve him up when the NCAA gets serious.
      Jurich doesn’t want to be hanging out there all by himself right now.

• KT
      5:42 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

^^Catlogic nailed it. I hadn’t thought of it from that angle. He’s unscrupulous enough to do it too, even to his loyal coach who is lying for him right now. Hey Rick, check out that bus…shove.

12. Bowhunter4bucks
    4:25 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

The real question is….did he know or did he not know. That’s going to be difficult to prove either way.

• KT
      5:39 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

No, it doesn’t matter. He’s in charge, it’s his program, you make the big bucks, you get the big responsibilities. Simple as that. Personally, I think Jurich should also face scrutiny but he will slither quietly away I’m sure and let others take the fall, he’s good at that.

…and honestly, Pitino coached here too, does anybody actually believe he didn’t know about this? Dude is a tyrant and knows every aspect of everyone’s business or at least he did at UK. Unless that changed I call BS on him. With the crap they’ve had going on for years even Louis Braille would have seen something.

13. Randy Marsh
    4:54 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Sorry officers I haven’t seen any space cash here. France, Italy, Mexico, you guys seen any space cash? No? Alright. Yea, officers, doesn’t look like anyone in the world saw any space cash.

14. KT
    5:32 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Damn Sally. Mic dropped.

15. Tom
    5:44 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

As long as Saint Cal isn’t concerned about national championships, telling his players to play for the names on the back of their jerseys, kept the Harrison twins in the game late against Wisconsin out of loyality instead of putting the best he had on the floor, why worry about what happens in Louisville? Come on, Kentucky fans really are concerned about winning the big dance are they?

• CATandMONKEY
      5:58 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

This is only the biggest story in sports, nationally. Perhaps we should ignore this 4-alarm dumpster fire in the Commonwealth ‘s largest city…because it certainly is being ignored by the media across the entire country.

• TroLLoL
      9:43 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I always knew Tom was a pro-Louisville troll. 😉

16. Gill Tee
    5:58 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

What a weak, deceitful, little Napoleon.

17. wooddoug
    6:00 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

This comment was made in the original article…It is unfortunate that I read this before seeing it was written by Ms. Jenkins. After her hagiographic defense of Lance Armstrong without expressly acknowledging that she ghost wrote a book for Mr. Armstrong, I agreed with Mr. Walsh of the Sunday Times that Ms. Jenkins had forfeited her right to continue as a journalist and should disappear. So I promised myself I would never read anything she wrote again. I need to pay closer attention to the byline. Perhaps articles written by Ms. Jenkins should come with a warning .

18. NoelGallagher
    6:18 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

She wrote that best selling Lance Armstrong Fiction, hard to put much weight in her opinion.

19. jmlville
    6:54 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I hope that none of you are in a situation where you are accused of something and are being judged by other human beings on a national platform like social media. There is a lot of components involved here that no one knows about but, apparently, most of you and the writer of this glorious (sarcastic) article know more than the NCAA at this time to the point where you are confident in your stance and opinions. Pitino is a coach but, he is also a father, a patriarch in his family, a mentor and more, How about respecting those that are his ‘family’ and stop the noise. If any one of you can look in the mirror and truly state that you have not done something in your life that you regret and shouldn’t have done then by all means, continue to post judgement and blame. He made a mistake in the past, but, who hasn’t? B/c of his highly public role, his mistake provoked national media attention. I believe everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves forgiveness and second chances. He has kept a clean slate and if it comes out that mcgee was the one and only UL staff member that took part and created this mess, you all might feel pretty bad (at least I hope – b/c otherwise you aren’t human) to smear pitino’s name. You all are contributing to what is wrong with our society – there is no focus on positive, good feeling stories but, negative media and judgement and ridicule; congrats, most of you are now part of that. I wish you all peace and have some faith in our system to get to the truth and be the ones to judge in a legal manner. I am supporting pitino.

• Stormin'
      7:06 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Assume you were not one of the Card fans who continue to bring up Coach Cal and NCAA actions at his previous schools. Assume you are not one of those fans who continue to make comments about when UK will have its title taken away by NCAA because UK has all of those evil ones and dones, and, well, you are sure you know how evil the UK coach is. You’re not THAT guy, right?

Glass house, meet rock.

• Ha!
      9:45 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Too bad. Your program f*cked up. Everything you get, you deserve. Karma is a bitch, huh? 😉

#L1CWHORE

• Hey
      10:21 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

If this was reversed, Cal would be KILLED in the media and especially by Louisville fans. Absolutely slaughtered. So just save it.

20. Stormin'
    6:58 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

The story just ran on ABC evening news. Was treated as a major piece. Hits just keep on comin’ for Rick and the birdies.

21. leon singleton
    7:16 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Washington is home to sleeze bags. What Louisville done would be normall there.

• Ha!
      9:46 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I knew you were a Louisville troll. 🙂

#L1CWHORE

• Dude
      10:04 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

“…..sleeze bags. What Louisville done would be normall there.”

Beautifully written. Well done, sir.

22. Capitalcatfan
    7:23 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Geez, jlmville…Looks like I wasted 90 seconds of my life that I can’t get back. Let’s see…patriarch, father, mentor, uh, what am I missing? Oh yeah, head coach of a major college basketball program supposedly forming the habits and work ethic of young men in his charge. Look in the mirror? Of course I can, but then I’m not being paid nearly 5 mil a year to do so. Support him if you choose to do so, but I have a feeling you’ll be doing so while he’s looking for another job.

23. JC
    8:01 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Your obsession with RP continues. Shameless piling on.

• Ha!
      9:47 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Ha! 🙂

#L1CWHORE
      #LittleBrothel

24. timer
    9:02 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I can’t help but wonder what the folks at YUM! brands are thinking about their decision to pay to have the arena in da Vile named after their company.

25. AmITheOnlyOne
    9:34 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

who thinks the only thing worse than Pitino knowing is him not knowing? At least a guy who hires prostitutes for your teenager is concerned with what’s happening in your child’s life.

26. Bill
    10:31 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

For anyone interested in journalism, Eric Crawford has a story he updated recently on his WDRB website.