Was that topical White House humor on Calipari’s call-in show?

Coach Cal worked in some political humor during his first call-in show Monday while taking a call from Jamie in Sawyersville. Jamie said he had two questions for UK’s head coach, but Calipari cut him off to make a topical joke about the White House’s new policy at press conferences.

Cal said, “I thought we only gave one question. We only allow question here — oh, that’s the White House. I’m sorry. We allow you two questions here.”

Once the caller started talking, Cal butted back in to make sure his joke played.

“Why are you laughing? I’m not supposed to say it? I thought it was funny,” he said. “I’ll let you know if you can have a follow-up, so go ahead with the first one.”

Hear the entire exchange:

Article written by Drew Franklin

31 Comments for Was that topical White House humor on Calipari’s call-in show?

1. lexcatfan2367
    5:05 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Lmbo! God, I love Cal.

• GoCatsChays
      6:21 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

My God you all know how to ruin sports!! Maybe Cal could pay attention to basketball instead of politics, or the fact he lost another big man recruit today and the one he lost to Duke this year helped destroy us in Indy. Maybe we could have callers filibuster the call in show and keep Cal from speaking to see how he likes being disrespected. It wouldn’t be long before UK media relations team created rules like the White House to keep order. KSR used to be a place to come together and talk sports but half of it is politics from clueless buffoons. When you have Matt saying read books from communists like Cass Sunstein and a complete moron like Ryan telling you who to vote for in the midterms you know that it’s over. Maybe people don’t like having a good economy cause they think the guy making it happen in brash (I’d argue our coach is brash as well), but I do like having a good sports team and venue to discuss it. My family and friends have long since left KSR but I was holding out hoping for a return to actual sports.

• BBNDan7
      6:40 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Then leave Chays, bye

• bigbluebanana
      7:32 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

You don’t have to come here chays, go be angry somewhere else.

• BluejayK
      7:51 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

You’re an idiot. I bet you are your biggest fan.

• shelby
      9:19 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Clueless buffoons? U mean Trump!

2. UKPROF
    5:15 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

LOL, yep, no doubt he was referring to that CNN a-hole Acosta. Quick witted Coach Cal !

• WildcatCam
      5:39 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

He was referring to Trump, actually..not Acosta.

• Han
      5:46 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Bet you think that video Sanders used from InfoWars was legit, too, huh?

But yea, Acosta’s an a-hole for trying to get the President to actually answer a question, any question, truthfully. But I wouldn’t expect any MAGA folks to know what’s going on since even the White House changes its story/excuses every other day.

How about Ivanka’s emails, amirite? Lock her up.

• jaws2
      5:53 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

When she has a ‘private’ server at her house hidden, sending classified national security emails over it I’d be concerned. Just MORE fake news!!

• bigbluebanana
      7:32 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

You mean like Ivanka??????????

• jaws2
      9:51 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

No stupid a*ss, that’s NOT what they’re accusing her of. My God are you that uninformed? Some of you folks are absolutely ignorant, have no ability to read, or are just too damn lazy to investigate. Part of the dumb downed America. It’s just pathetic.

3. J. Did
    5:57 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

CAL is on his own timetable. Alert: Unless there have been prior discretions – not happening with the stalwart Catholic…attends Mass daily. And, with the Sandy Bell ringing, Kentucky should be clean forever. It will be up to CAL. He is smart enough to realize. We bitch and complain, ad infinitum. It is what we do. But, this is his call.

4. SanDiegoDave
    5:58 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

God damn, having Trump in the White House is bad enough. Unfortunately, I have to read about that moron here.

• nicky
      6:15 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Try Mohammed damn next time…

• bigbluebanana
      7:33 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Lol, wot?

• katmark
      9:21 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

This is not a political site and please don’t you my Gods name in vain.

• bigbluebanana
      9:41 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

He/she can use any God’s name in vain. You don’t have to like it, but they can say it. Be angry at them for saying it if you want, but don’t ask them to censor themself because it’s what you want. I’m Muslim, and the second commenter used my prophet’s name in vain, I’ll never ask him not to though. Just because it may upset me, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the right to say it.

5. nicky
    6:27 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Cal kinda lame attempt at humor…trying to take a swipe at Trump and deflect from his own recruiting fail at the same time

Leave the Trump bashing to the late night guys and stick to what you (used) to do best

• BBNDan7
      6:41 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Yeah cause he’s not allowed to have a personality

• mj4uk
      6:43 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Trump is doing much better as President than Cal is at coaching. Not really the time to be snarky when most of the fan base is still pissed about Duke. Plus missing out on every truly elite recruit as of the last several years. He’s not as untouchable as he thinks with this fan base. He better just stick to coaching.

Cue the left wing nut jobs in 3, 2, 1………..

• bigbluebanana
      7:34 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Cue the rational people asking you to name one good thing Trump has done.

• Han
      7:16 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Let us know what Trump’s managed to do as President. Besides golf, lie about his accomplishments, and scream at anyone who points out his lies.

The only people who think Trump is doing a good job as President are Trump and Fox News.

• Perry1987
      9:56 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

To name a few President Trump has:
      1.Cut taxes
      2. Made tougher immigration laws
      3. Rolled back regulations on small businesses
      4. Pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal
      5. Starting construction on border wall
      6. Pulled out of the TPP
      7. Recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Isreal
      8. Stronger stance on ISIS ( and still fighting)
      9. Appointed two Supreme Court justices
      10. Repealed Obamacare

• nicky
      7:23 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

That’s not his personality….that’s his way of getting in front of criticism

6. catsarerunnin
    7:09 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I miss all the rights I had before the 2016 election. (sarcasm)

7. ukwildcat1991
    8:25 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I could care less if cal is a liberal or a republican. That’s his decision and his own right to decide what he wants to believe in. With that being said, no one should care what he thinks about politics or anything related to it. What you should care about is why lost to duke and how we lost wiseman and other recruits to other teams. As for this post, I think it’s disgraceful to make a big deal about it as post it on a sports site. But hey, if u want to make yourself look like an a-home and report it be my guest lol

8. katmark
    9:24 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Okay Cal made a joke please keep your political comments to yourself and let’s talk about recruiting

• big cat
      9:46 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Election is over. But, since it’s being discussed…I’m so glad McGrath lost…lol…BTW, Coach Trump would’ve beaten Duke.

• BigBlue4Three
      10:48 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Not much to talk about on the recruiting front, unless you like talking about losing. I’d like to have a coach that is a winner, that wins so much that people get tired of winning.

But, alas, we’re stuck with fat, tired and grumpy Cal who digs into his book of catch phrases and sound bites to explain that “we have the 2nd youngest team”, “we don’t trust each other”, “we have to go back to basics” or heaven forbid “he has to make a tweak”.

Face it, his schtick has gotten old. He is another example of a coach that is stuck in his ways and can’t/won’t change with the times. His dribble drive style may have worked 10 years ago, but it sure isn’t working now. Same for his “Kentucky isn’t for everyone” recruiting schtick – time to admit it isn’t working and come up with a new approach. Despite having the best basketball facilities in the country, recruits obviously aren’t impressed with his recruiting methods and without top 5 talent – Cal will fail every time. He couldn’t win with an all-star team of USA U-19 kids, so why would I believe he could win without top tier talent at UK?

Oh by the way, did you know McGrath flew a fighter plane and played soccer? I haven’t been reminded 37 times a night for the last few weeks, so I almost forgot.

9. BBNJeffrey
    9:25 am November 21, 2018 Permalink

I do sales for a living, the one thing they teach very quickly is do not talk to your customers about politics or religion, ever, ever. Why, because no matter what you’re going to alienate 1/2 the people. I love cal, in my opinion he is by far the best coach we could have or get. But, maybe he should leave politics out of it.