After covering football for even just a few years, I’ve learned that sometimes a “bad practice” is nothing more than a gimmick by a football coach to fire up his squad.

After covering football for even just a few years, I don’t think that’s what happened this weekend in Lexington.

On Friday, fifteen days into camp, we finally saw “Angry Stoops,” and when the team didn’t rebound to his liking during Saturday’s scrimmage, it stopped seeming like a ploy and started to be a little bit worrisome. Admit it, long suffering UK football fans: fear creeped into your periphery. I mean, I had to talk Freddie Maggard out of putting on his old pads and running up to Lexington to straighten things out; however, all was for naught when Stoops collected his troops for a late night practice. The first thing I thought of was the scene from “Remember the Titans” where Denzel Washington and his staff woke the players up at 3 a.m. to run the trail around Gettysburg battlefield:

Almost every single football player tweeted about the “amazing” and “special” practice, but yesterday, Drew Barker told reporters the practice also reminded him of “Remember the Titans”:

“We know that first practice we had didn’t cut it,” Barker said. “He brought us back out here, something like out of Remember the Titans. It was awesome. It was just a great practice and it was great team bonding and team building last night.”

Can I get a little “Left Side, Strong Side” before we move on to today’s agenda?

Break!

STOOPS will be on KSR this morning

This afternoon, we’ll hear from Stoops and the defensive coaches and players. With less than two weeks until the opener, the team is inching towards game prep, and in turn, we are too. Tune in this week for tons of football coverage, including a way, way, ridiculously too early look at the Ragin Cajuns from Freddie Maggard this afternoon.

Before all of that, Mark Stoops will call in to KSR to talk about the eventful weekend. Tune in to hear what he has to say about the team’s eventful weekend.

The basketball team is back on campus

One by one, the basketball players are arriving back on campus for class, meaning you should be on the lookout for players and/or hordes of jersey chasers. The first person to send us a picture of Jamal Murray safe and sound in Lexington gets free KSR for life.

The visitor’s list for Big Blue Madness continues to grow

This weekend, five-star small forward Miles Bridges announced he’ll take five official visits, one to Kentucky for Big Blue Madness. He’ll join Harry Giles and potentially Rawle Alkins at the event, which is shaping up to be even bigger than usual. The Cats are gaining momentum with Bridges, who was long thought to be a Michigan State lean.

Bridges’ dunk this weekend in the Bahamas will show why we want to take him from Izzo:

That’s the same gym UK played in one year ago during the Bahamas tour. I can almost smell the $1 hot dogs.

I finally saw “The Gift”

And yes, it was just as good as everyone said it would be. Like “Gone Girl,” the twist at the end was a bit expected since everyone kept hyping it up, but I enjoyed it all the same. I also watched “The Theory of Everything” on HBOGO, and liked it. Two vastly different movies, but both kept me thinking long after they were over.

Will our own Matt Jones run for Congress?

Last night, Matt confirmed to the Herald-Leader that the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has asked him to consider taking on U.S. Rep. Andy Barr in next year’s 6th Congressional District race. I know you guys love politics just as much as I love a vegan dinner menu, so I won’t go much further than to give you the link to the Herald-Leader’s story. I’m sure you’ll discuss it at length anyways.

Welcome to the Class of 2019

If the traffic in Lexington wasn’t indication enough, students are officially back on campus. The freshman class got together Saturday night to pose for this picture:

All this does is make me want the Power K logo back more and more. Oh well.

More coming all day…

19 Comments for Wake up from your late night football practice! It’s time for the Monday Morning Wakeup

1. SCCat
    9:29 am August 24, 2015 Permalink

Matt is really considering running? Time to get your big boy pants on – crazy CAYTS fans are at least all on the same side. Messing ’round in DC is a different business – and even when you win, you don’t really win…

If Matt Jones is reading this, here’s a little advice from an old DC politico – “You currently have one of the best jobs I know – all of us as Cats fans would give an appendage for the access and intimacy you have with the program. I am sure you are grateful, and I understand ambition too, and your possible wont to make a change in the Commonwealth. Just a word of caution – you might be trading the best job in the universe for one of the most difficult and least rewarding.”

Best of luck if you choose to enter the fray.

And most importantly – Go Cats and I can’t wait for the ULL game….

2. Xavier
    10:40 am August 24, 2015 Permalink

Wonderful, if Matt runs then we will have even more politics on this site.

• Henry
      12:20 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

Great. We can hear more right wingers cry about it at length…..

3. Radioshack Carl
    10:43 am August 24, 2015 Permalink

Good thing “Remember the Titans” is a total lie. The coach was an a$$ and the school integrated a decade prior to the season portrayed in the film. Also Gary Bertier played in the State Championship game, and was injured following the season. Disney is pushing lies. #Bushdid9/11

• catdaddyd
      4:43 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

True, people from there hate him.

4. Jake
    11:07 am August 24, 2015 Permalink

That’s not even the power k. That would be the new K but it’s good to know someone likes it like me

• Assume...
      11:24 am August 24, 2015 Permalink

you’re assuming her comment about this pic making her want the power K back means that she thinks this is the power K and likes it. Maybe you should assume she doesn’t think this looks as good as the power K would, and that the pic would be better if it were the power K.

5. inside info2
    12:40 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

I wonder who leaked the info to the LHL that Matt was running? My guess is that the guy”s name rhymes with Jatt Mones.

Matt’s extremely large ego was built for politics. He will fit in fine with all the other $h!tty politicians we currently have. Vote NONE OF THE ABOVE

• Funny....
      12:54 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

And yet you continue to visit this site and comment regularly here.

And after reading several of your comments, it appears you have quite the ego, yourself.

• J-Dub421
      1:03 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

Matt did not say he was running, only that people have been discussing it with him and that he is considering it. Don’t jump to conclusions.

• inside info2
      1:32 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

I enjoy the site (although less now than before Matt got into a fight with his best contributor). I can visit the site and still comment, both positively and negatively. I don’t wear blue colored glasses and drink the kool-aid like a lot of people on this site.

An ego yes. Just not the Matt Jones level.

• Funny....
      2:22 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

You should start your own site, with all of your “inside info” and no political leanings and all.

• Just wonderin'
      5:50 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

Of whom do you speak that fighteth with Mr. Jones?

6. Ray Montgomery
    3:33 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

As someone who is shut in his house a majority of the time, I have probably not missed more than half a dozen shows since Matt started. Therefore, selfishly, I hope like hell he doesn’t leave for any reason, but, unselfishly, nothing would please me more than for him to be turned loose in the halls of Congress. After hearing him with Mitch McConnell, I can only imagine how many of the “politicians as usual” would have their heads explode if they were put up against him. Kentucky deserves someone who will stand up for us, not someone who serves to get reelected.

7. WillMattEverClearHisThroat?
    3:34 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

Better question.

• Wow
      3:37 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

Hard hitting stuff there. You really brought a lot to the conversation.

8. catdaddyd
    4:49 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

Haven’t seen The Gift, but Gone Girl was horrible.

9. hickman
    5:26 pm August 24, 2015 Permalink

2 votes against Matt in this house
    we have enough Libs

• Tampa satchel
      9:11 am August 25, 2015 Permalink

You’re probably not his demographic anyway. I don’t believe he’s going for the hick man vote.