VIDEO: Watch the tribute to the 1978 champs

Kentucky’s 1978 national champions were honored at halftime of the game to a loud ovation from fans in Rupp Arena. The ceremony included player-by-player introductions at halfcourt, some words from Joe B. Hall, and a tribute video to their magical season of 40 years ago.

See that tribute video here:

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for VIDEO: Watch the tribute to the 1978 champs

1. Ridge Runner
    11:27 pm February 24, 2018 Permalink

Old guy here showing my age but this team lifted me up my senior year in high school and now that I have the DVD of beating Puke for the championship, it’s a nice way to revisit that team as well. Kyle has always been my favorite player of all time and thankful the tribute came to fruition tonight.

2. Ridge Runner
    11:29 pm February 24, 2018 Permalink

Thx Drew for putting this up sir. Still remember our small conversation down at the Peach Jam a few years ago. You guys are the best!

3. CatFan-n-volcountry
    11:48 pm February 24, 2018 Permalink

Pretty sure I recognize the “redhead from Knoxville” Chris G. near the end of table. My HS team had a preseason game against his in either 75 or 76. Wow what great memories this team has brought back.

4. Alleykat16
    11:52 pm February 24, 2018 Permalink

I was in Germany doing my duty in the Army and my father called me and told me UK had won the National Championship I then had to wait 2 days to read about it in the Stars&Stripes paper

5. runningunnin.454
    11:59 pm February 24, 2018 Permalink

The ’78 Championship Game, otherwise known as…
    “Primer: HOW TO TOTALLY, COMPLETELY, UTTERLY, ABSOLUTELY DESTROY A 2-3 ZONE”.

6. Angelo
    12:36 am February 25, 2018 Permalink

How about the names of the people in the photo?

7. IHATEUAVEL
    1:28 pm February 25, 2018 Permalink

Nice of UK to let Bill Keightley Daughter Karen Marlowe be recognized

8. jboy3403
    10:37 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I noticed these guys didn’t have their names on their jerseys. When did Kentucky start putting the names of the players on their jerseys?