Vanderbilt to get more minutes against Florida

Raise your hand if you want to see more Jarred Vanderbilt against Florida.

Now all of you with your hands raised, get really excited because Jarred Vanderbilt will likely see more of the floor in his second career game tomorrow against Florida.

Calipari said on Friday, “I asked him, ‘How are you?’ He said, ‘How many minutes did you think I played? I said, ‘I probably played you two too many. I was going to play you 12. You played 14.’ This game maybe 16, 18. I just told him if you think you can play more, fine. If not, that’s fine too. We’ll just keep going.”

Cal also raved about Vanderbilt’s play at South Carolina, saying, “He played hard. He competed. He went after rebounds in traffic, he went and got balls. He was the only guy. We had guys play 32 minutes and get two rebounds.”

“Somebody told me something that he was in 30 possessions. They scored .8 times per possession, under a point per possession. When he was out, it was 1.2 points per possession. That’s a big number. Just that one change. Again, toughness, being active. Maybe, it’s because he wasn’t playing 35 minutes. That could have been it. I will say this. He went in and competed. I was happy for him.”

Not to get too greedy here, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Vanderbilt play more than 16 or 18 minutes tomorrow, if he’s able to stay out there and compete. Like Cal said, there are guys playing a lot of minutes who are doing less than he did in his short time in the game in Tuesday’s loss. Leave him in there.

Oh and you can put your hands down now.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Vanderbilt to get more minutes against Florida

1. Bobbum Man
    5:25 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Man if the few minutes we saw against SC was any indication I think this kid could be a game changer. Maybe he can get some of that energy and intensity to rub off on Diallo and the rest of the gang. He looked to be arguably our best player (Shai) talent wise so I hope he can stay healthy and keep workin at it

2. Bluebloodtoo
    5:36 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

If Vanderbilt went in, then someone else came out. There are two drivers for that .4 point per possession change.

3. dballrb
    6:19 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

He has a good motor..Hustle pays off in winning time.

4. Aar
    6:29 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

I’m not Cal but if I were, I play him the first 4 and last 4 minutes of each half, assuming he’s a little more in rhythm with the team.

5. FACTS
    7:12 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

You need to leave him in to get his rhythm and heart rate up

6. FACTS
    7:13 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

You can’t just play him for 4 minutes then your out. He needs to understand what it’s like to play 6-8 minutes of hard basketball

• Aar
      10:29 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

One of the things I loved about the KAT “platoon” team was that they all played so hard all the time because they knew they’d get plenty recovery after 4 hard minutes.

I want Vanderbilt to have no setbacks, only success, as he gets fit, up to speed and integrated in the team. I also want his energy to rub off on the team instead of the other way around. I think that keeping him to 4 minute stints is the best way to do that. I know Cal will use him to best effect.

7. runningunnin.454
    7:43 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Hope he can avoid the injury bug…I keep thinking of Sam Bowie.

8. sincitycat
    8:26 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Hami needs more bench time so he can see he has four teammates.

• kydrummer