Update on Derek Willis and Alex Poythress

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 8.11.00 PM

Coach Cal had nothing to offer regarding the status of Derek Willis, when asked about Willis’ sprained ankle on today’s SEC coaches teleconference. Cal said he had not yet seen Willis today, therefore he doesn’t know if he will play tomorrow against Alabama.

Cal did say Alex Poythress worked out on Sunday. I’m told there is a chance he will return to action tomorrow night. That was the plan for Poythress as of late last week.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Update on Derek Willis and Alex Poythress

1. Sentient Third Eye
    12:00 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

From the swelling in that photo yesterday, we may not see Willis for at least a week or two.

2. yarg
    12:07 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

I think you gotta put Hawkins in now. He’s the only other player playing with confidence. Really hope both Poythress/Willis get right by tournament time.

3. Megan
    12:52 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

Update on Willis: There is no update. That’s twice in recent days that KSR has offered an update when there is no new information. The Poythress news actually qualifies. Half-right is better than nothing, I guess.

• UK1983
      1:49 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

Megan, you are an idiot. how can you complain that the free news you get on this site is not good enough for you. Get a life.

4. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:05 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

After seeing that picture, we’ll be lucky to have Willis in the SEC tournament. BBN shouldn’t be looking for hourly updates on the guy, or even daily updates. This injury may be measured in weeks.

5. Sin The
    1:13 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

We’ll be lucky if he even returns during the NCAA tournament. That was a very nasty sprain.

6. ncaa is in on it
    1:17 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

“MEGAN” Why don’t you half suck a dick.

7. plumloopy
    2:24 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

Well, I was encouraged even by this statement. That it was even a question for JC: “Cal said he had not yet seen Willis today, therefore he doesn’t know if he will play tomorrow against Alabama.” Looking for a ray of hope, I guess, that it’s not serious.

8. deltasig41
    2:26 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

Willis will be back for the SEC tournament. He may even be back next week. I sprained an ankle several years ago that was WAY worse than Willis…I didn’t have the benefit of a world-class training staff, rehabilitation and treatment. Just an Ace bandage and rest. I was back in 4 weeks. Willis may not do anything this week or next, but I’d say 2 weeks is the max he’ll be out.

What I don’t understand, though, is how little Calipari seems to know about player injuries. I would guess this is all just a ploy to provide as little information to opposing teams as possible, but is infuriating as a fan.

• kenny
      4:52 pm February 22, 2016 Permalink

He also said he didn’t know about poythress, and we know how that turned out. If Willis’ ankle sprain is anything like Hawkins, he may be out a while.