lebron james
(Photo via LeBron James’ Instagram | @kingjames)

lebron james

(Photo via LeBron James’ Instagram | @kingjames)

Is this the beginning of the end of the NBA’s bubble?

The Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers have reportedly voted to boycott the remainder of the NBA season in the wake of the Jacob Blake shooting, according to multiple reports late Wednesday night. Several NBA reporters took to twitter to keep sports fans updated on the quickly-progressing news, although there has been some degree of conflicting information regarding the severity of the “vote” that took place.

While several prominent media outlets are reporting the two Los Angeles franchises have “voted” against resuming competition, Wojnarowski tweeted his sources say it was “considered more of a polling, than a final vote” and the fate of the playoffs is “still up in the air.”

Fellow ESPN NBA reporter Dave McMenamin is reporting there was “no sense of accomplishment” felt after Wednesday’s meeting, adding there will continue to be uncertainty until Thursday’s 11 a.m. Board of Governors meeting.

For now, it seems as though there will not be NBA games played on Thursday, with Wojnarowski tweeting “Everyone is still too emotional… There needs to be more time to come together on this,” according to one high-ranking source.

In a later tweet, Woj added several details about the late-night meeting, including some of the key speakers and the main talking points:

“NBPA explained financial implications of ending season, including possible lockout next year. [NBPA president] Chris Paul on leaving meeting unified; CJ McCollum on needing a plan of action. Doc Rivers on using platform, voting, holding police accountable,” Woj posted at 11:13 p.m.

NBPA Vice President Andre Iguodala and Kyle Korver also spoke at the meeting. LeBron James apparently made it clear he wants the teams’ owners to be more involved and take action, as well.

After news broke there would not be basketball played Wednesday evening, Wojnarowski reported every NBA player currently in the bubble was invited to a meeting set for 8 p.m. to discuss the league’s next steps. Yahoo Sports reported the meeting ended by 10:53 p.m.

In that window, those inside the bubble discussed the issues at hand and whether or not the playoffs could continue amid America’s current state of unrest. At one point, the coaches were asked to step out of the meeting to allow the players to speak freely about the pending decisions. There was also some frustration pointed toward the Milwaukee Bucks for “blindsiding” the other teams on their walk-out plan, according to The Athletic’s Shams Charania.

We should know more about the future of the NBA bubble and this year’s long-awaited playoffs by Thursday afternoon, but for now, don’t plan your day around a full day of basketball.

UPDATE 11:50 p.m. – Woj is now reporting the players will have a meeting of their own Thursday at 11 a.m. to continue the conversation, while the Board of Governors will be hosting their own meeting.

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

64 Comments for Uncertainty continues regarding NBA Bubble’s future; Lakers, Clippers trending toward boycott

1. PensacolaCat
    11:38 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Please boycott the rest of the season. Absolutely no one will miss it.

• Maggie Davis
      11:55 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

I will miss it.

• Dr. Tom
      12:25 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I will not miss it!! And as much as I love the CATS and college basketball, if this crap spills over into the college game I will turn it off too.

• catdaddyd
      1:16 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Agree with Tom.

• catdaddyd
      1:15 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I quit watching when they went all social justice warrior bs. Sports is just entertainment / distraction from everyday life. There’s is plenty of entertainment out there.

• sprtphan
      6:53 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

NBwho?

• JT55
      6:26 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m with ya. No one will miss it! Maybe all of us should boycott work today? Hold their checks until they return to work!

• UK_fac_boi
      8:37 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I’ll miss it

• Gazza
      9:19 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I agree. Haven’t watched it so far so won’t miss it tomorrow. Peace

2. runningunnin.454
    11:55 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Careful, fellas…careful; the country might come to the realization that it doesn’t need you. We don’t, you know.

3. friendsofcoal
    11:59 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Who gives a rats a$$ about the NBA? I’m pretty sure the last game I watched was the Warriors and Cavs a few years ago when Cleveland won game 7. The NBA is slowly falling into the “dying” nascar category imo.

• UKFaninCO
      1:02 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

^^

4. UKNUTZ
    12:03 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s time BLM demands that all the multimillionaire players donate half their salaries to the cause. I bet they’d have a different attitude about it all then. I wonder how they would vote then. Keep letting iall this go on long enough and they will come after their money also sooner or later. Wearing a tshirt ain’t gonna be enough forever for these ANTIFATARDS….lol

5. UKNUTZ
    12:05 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

KSP already silencing my comments. Be careful what you write guys. Make sure it fits the narrative

• rickat
      6:59 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

What is “KSP”?

• PensacolaCat
      12:15 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky Sports and Propaganda

6. ukwildcat1991
    12:06 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

i just dont get why the NBA, staff, and players consist on trying to push their narrative and policies on the fans or viewers when its the fans or viewers right to decide what policies and narratives for themselves. thats my problem with the whole shabang. the names on the back of the jerseys, the black lives matter, t-shirts, and kneeling during the anthem is all rubbish and the man who is leading them is so called king James who no one except fans of his own care about what he thinks about politics and social justice. nba averaged 3.2 million viewers for all the postseason games last year, before this, 1.3 million viewers. they are killing themselves and they just dont see it. hell, the RPC had 4 million viewers last night and the only sport worth watching except hockey or base ball and is considered the second most popular sport in america cant compete with them. its sad but like the people who commented above said, no one cares and we dont need you. i have no sympathy whatsoever. also im a constitutionalist/independent sothese comments are not toward either side of politics.

• dwhite
      2:50 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Shut down college and pro sports so these athletes can have some peace and not be taken advantage of. The distilleries in Ky are hiring so make your own way and quit being taken advantage of. The pays less than a million a year and if your a college player you’ll be expected to pay for your health care, room and board, meals, and transportation. Tell those NBA franchises and colleges you’ve had enough and go out on your own. That’ll show them that you’re fed up with the abuse you’re enduring under their rules. Tell them to take that pd for world class education and shove it. You deserve more and I hope y’all get it.

7. VulcanEar
    12:42 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Cool site, allows me to keep up with UK sports. Left Kentucky over a decade ago and that decision never makes me happier than when I read the cesspool of comments on any article this site posts. I don’t watch many Kentucky games anymore because I have an NBA team in my city. I love the NBA, never more than I do today. Solidarity!

• 4everUKBlue
      7:27 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

What a miracle the Commonwealth has able to go on and do just as well without you, good riddance.

• apocalypse
      7:53 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

It would appear this state is much better off without you as is. While our Governor is an idiot, I’m sure you’d surpass even his asinine rhetoric.

• rlee7932
      8:21 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Vulcan It used to be that there would occasionally there be racist dog whistles in the comments, however now the pandemic has turned those into bullhorns of bigotry. I guess the the Covid has eaten their brains and allowed their inner racism to thrive.

• rlee7932
      8:21 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

4ever you can just stfu you racist twat

• PensacolaCat
      9:34 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Why post on here if you aren’t even a fan? Seems like a waste of time for you and certainly for those that have to read your drivel.

• 4everUKBlue
      9:44 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Robt E Lee, nothing I said was even remotely racist, maybe you’re the racist and need to STFU.

8. Eddiemcwildcat
    5:36 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Shut it down. Solidarity…lol

9. 4everUKBlue
    7:28 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

All this bulllshit is making me lose interest in sports and if they change the name of Rupp all you BLM puppets can have it, burn it down just like you’re doing in the streets.

• rlee7932
      8:23 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

So your boys like kyle Rittenhouse can murder innocent people?
      Thanks again for showing who you are, Punk

• CMC
      9:38 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

David Dorn, Secoriea Turner, Joseph Mensah and family. Know any of these stories? We’re they innocent?

• mashman 93
      10:03 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

How about Cannon Hinnant? You haven’t mentioned him once. Why?

• 4everUKBlue
      9:45 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Mr Robt E Lee you’re a complete idiot, but we already knew that.

• 4everUKBlue
      9:49 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

@Robt E Lee, it wouldn’t take that much effort for you to find out the BLM is being funded and used by George Soros and some of his rich elite white associates. It’s called divide and conquer and idiots like you who slurp up the evening news without any independent research are a huge part of the problem. This whole BLM agenda is for nothing more than to fan the flames of racial tension and you’re buying it hook line and sinker.

10. Ben27
    7:42 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Who cares about the NBA. Time to close it down and let them get real jobs. No loss here!

11. apocalypse
    7:49 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m tired of having some spoiled/pampered millionaire trying to tell me what I should think and do. I’m just tired of BLM, they are nothing but Communist’s wrapped in NBA blankets and if these nit wits had any sense to them at all they would know that.

I’ve already cut pro sports from my life and I’m better off without it as they added nothing to it except the constant moaning and bitching on how bad they have it. I’d love to be able to moan and bitch with 50+ million in the bank instead of having to get up every day and go to work. I will never again support pro athletics in any shape, form, or size. And if Kentucky bends over and decides to rename Rupp Arena, I will cease all support for them as well.

I only wish our Teacher’s, fireman, policeman, military, and other essential workers made 1/100th as much as those sorry ass holes we pay millions to so they can bitch and whine about how hard they have it.

• rlee7932
      8:18 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Hey you forgot to add “Boys get back out there and pick that cotton”

• UKFanSC
      8:41 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Robert E Lee is back !! The voice of the Confederacy !

• Ukcatlee
      8:43 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

You are an idiot

• 4everUKBlue
      10:09 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Agree with apocalypse, and Robt E7932 Lee is a racist.

12. CatsFanFrankfort
    8:45 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

If KSR is becoming too liberal for all of these people who are ‘sick and tired of being told what to do by pampered millionaires, why don’t you find a different outlet for your frustration that the comments section of said liberal sports site? The comments you leave aren’t going to stop them from making these posts or get them shut down. They only serve to make you look bigoted and full of yourselves.

The millionaires are not ‘telling you what you should think and do’. They want to bring attention to societal problems. As a sports site, KSR reports on it. Just like Yahoo Sports and Bleacher Report. Commenting on a post about pro sports bragging about how you’ve ‘cut pro sports’ from your life is ironic as hell. Youve clearly not done anything of the sort, if you’re still consuming and participating in media about said sports.

Thats all I have. Just wanted to point out the irony of someone who professes to be disgusted by something, but who spends a great deal of time interacting with that very thing.

• ukwildcat1991
      1:18 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

Then KSR should start not posting crap like this on a Kentucky’s sport site. It goes both ways brother

• CatsFanFrankfort
      1:50 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

This one seems to be pretty much the facts and the events taking place that concern the NBA and its players, many of whom are former Wildcats. I do agree that some posts contain too many of the authors’ own political views. Maggie does a good job of steering clear of that, though.

13. DaaaaCats
    8:45 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

So much vitriol here. If a citizen kills another person, there is a trial. If police do it, there isn’t. The law of self defense applies to both equally.

I’m not arguing whether this latest shooting was justifiable. I just believe that a jury should decide. Somebody’s life has ended.

14. UKFanSC
    8:54 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

If you thought 2020 was bad……just wait.

• 4everUKBlue
      9:52 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

2020 aint over, it’s going to bet much worse with lockdown II, pandemic II and the coming reset. Ya’ll can call me all the names you like but give it time and you’ll see I’m right.

15. bowill01
    9:00 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Did they forget the league has to make money to continue paying them? Fine for the wealthiest like LeBron I guess.

• DaaaaCats
      9:12 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Lol minimum salary is like 900K. I think they’ll be fine

16. Brogreg
    9:15 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Who cares the NBA is horrible basketball anyway!!!!! I never watch it because it is boring!!!!! So it won’t bother me at all if the cancel it permanently!!!!!

17. CatsDLegit
    9:22 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Hey LeBron, tell yo people’s to stop resisting. If they don’t agree with the police then that’s what court is for. But if you’re running around with a knife in your hand and run to your car saying you’re getting a gun, you will probably get shot. This is not hard to comprehend but it seems to be for many black people.

18. CMC
    9:35 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

rlee7932. David Dorn, Secoriea Turner, Joseph Mensah. Know any of these stories? We’re they innocent?

19. jwhit80
    9:40 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Please boycott the rest of the NBA season. If people are demanding more info on police and shootings and such, let’s have more info on which pro athletes actually give time and money back to underprivileged communities and donate to them. Wouldn’t doubt it that not many are donating any salary towards that.

20. UK_fac_boi
    9:57 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

You people need jobs.

21. 4everUKBlue
    10:05 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Anyone else find it odd that the 40,000 plus children who go missing every year and are being trafficked by the elite gets no news coverage? Why do you reckon that is? Could it be all this BLM is a distraction to keep occupied and not looking into the pedophilia epidemic? They would never do that would they?

• PensacolaCat
      12:10 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know about that but there certainly is selective outrage on the left. Problem for them though is that most of us aren’t stupid sheep like their base and aren’t fooled by their lies. Most blacks are very gullible…unfortunately many of them look to people like Lebron James and Obama who don’t live in the real world. A lot of them have never even met a conservative so they will continue to blindly vote for Democrats while all the while being oppressed by the very people they put into office.

22. Trinity45
    10:16 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

No loss to me, I found the NBA to be hard to watch since the early 2000’s.

23. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:21 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Questions:
    1) How many of you out there can just walk off the job and keep it? Would Matt (I guess it would actually be iHeart) allow his whole radio crew walk out right after going on the air this morning? How about the website crew? What if they all just decided they weren’t working today?
    2) What does Kenny Smith walking off set and players boycotting their games substantively accomplish? I said substantively. Don’t bring up “Raising awareness”. Awareness has been raised, and raised, and raised. Are they actually doing something substantive to change the situation while they’re enjoying their…”time off”?

• ThatsAShame
      12:30 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

Chris,

My guess is that they doing what they think will help. Their “voice” is manifest via a walkout or kneeling or whatever they think they need to do.

Similar to comments on this website. People are moved by what they read and few that they have to give voice to their feelings.

24. Wade
    10:58 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Black people need to be accountable for themselves the me me shit Is old.To much going on to worry about you. Cannon hinnant say his name. NBA nuthin but assholes. Police thanks for your service keep the cameras on on taking out scum so they don’t kill and rape white people.

25. SADmaninKy
    11:31 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Finally the NBA players and I agree on something! I’m boycotting their games, too!! And have been since their racism has spilled onto the courts.

• UKBigBlueForever
      11:56 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Lol.

• PensacolaCat
      12:02 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

That made me laugh

26. light my fire
    12:09 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

No need for the NBA, they need to start a league of their own.

27. dukeisking
    2:21 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

Funny how U ?s say you will not miss the NBA but y’all always the FIRST to comment on anything sports related. ??

28. rickshelton
    3:09 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

I’ve completely tuned out. Tired of political commentary with a side of sports. REALLY hoping NFL doesn’t make same mistake. Otherwise I will look elsewhere for entertainment.