UK watching tape of K-State with and without Wade

AP Photo/Charlie Riedel

Kansas State has been without its leading scorer, Dean Wade, for its last three games.

The 6-10 junior, who averages 16.5 points and 6.3 rebounds per game this season, suffered a foot injury in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Tournament and hasn’t played since. Kansas State is 2-1 without him — two of those being the two NCAA wins — but beating Kentucky will be an enormous challenge if he is unable to go for a fourth straight game.

Wade is listed as probable for Thursday’s Sweet 16 contest, and he told the media in Manhattan, Ks., “I’m like 98 percent sure I’ll play. I don’t know if they can keep me out of this one. This is big time.”

But the unknown surrounding Wade’s status means more work for John Calipari and his staff because they’re watching film of Kansas State with and without Wade.

“Their leading scorer hasn’t played but says he’s playing against us,” Calipari said on his Monday call-in show. “But he said that the last couple of games and did not play, so we have to watch tape of him playing and him not playing. The good news: So do they! ‘What do they look like without Jarred? What do they look like with Jarred?'”

“Both us coaches are going to probably watch seven or six more tapes than we really need to, if either of those kids don’t play,” Cal said.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for UK watching tape of K-State with and without Wade

1. claydwildcat
    10:52 am March 20, 2018 Permalink

Think you got the 1-2 record wrong. They had to win at least two.

• Duuuuuude
      10:58 am March 20, 2018 Permalink

I read this 3 times. So they lost in the big 12 tournament, and then they lost to who? lol

• Drew Franklin
      11:02 am March 20, 2018 Permalink

One day I’ll start proofreading (probably not though)

2. Underdog
    11:12 am March 20, 2018 Permalink

As Cal has reminded us, if their kid isn’t near 100%, then he could really hurt Kansas State. Remember Keith Bogan’s attempt? We were playing 5 on 4, coincidentally when a kid named Wade was on the other team.

I doubt Jarred will play. I hope so, but we can manage to win, AND he is 95+% by Sat for the Loyola game (assuming they win), that’s when we’ll need him, even for 6 minutes a half.

3. Daddyof3Ballers
    11:44 am March 20, 2018 Permalink

We have a chance at #9, but we have to be at full strength including Jared. He needs to play this weekend to get himself ready for next weekend and help ensure we even get there

4. runningunnin.454
    1:20 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

So he suffered a stress fracture 12 days ago, and is going to play. Must not have any dreams of pro ball…stress fractures are unpredictable; Could take 6 to 8 weeks to heal.

• runningunnin.454
      1:21 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

Talking about Dean Wade, not Vando.

• SuperTroy18
      3:00 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing. Stress fractures take weeks to heal. Then, you’re supposed to LIGHTLY get back to physical activity…not play in the NCAA Tourney.
      I don’t think we see him. If we do, I think he re-injures himself; and I think he will possibly do it fairly quickly into the game. He’s gonna be sprinting and jumping. No way that injury doesn’t hinder him.

5. rlburd2
    5:25 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

Both coaches are going to watch 7 to 6 games. Sounds odd.