UK unveils new basketball uniforms

Earlier this year, UK unveiled new football uniforms that featured a prominent checkerboard pattern on the sleeves. If you like those, you’ll love the new basketball uniforms, which were unveiled this morning. Check out this picture from the UK Equipment Staff of the new basketball unis, which feature the checkerboard pattern and the new crooked-K UK logo:

The neckline also appears much slimmer than the 2016 jerseys, similar to the special edition uniforms UK wore during the second half of last season.

Thoughts?

polls

35 Comments for UK unveils new basketball uniforms

1. CapitalBlue
    9:54 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Two thumbs down.

2. A_Blue_Wildcat
    9:54 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Still hate the crooked K/H, but I don’t mind the checkerboard design

3. @GoCayts
    9:56 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

I honestly don’t like all the checkerboard designs on the football or basketball uniforms … I love the way it looks in the endzones, but not a fan of it on the unis … but, whatever, hope the players like it

• Cat68
      10:16 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Well said. Our football team needs no other reasons to be considered the laughing stock of the NCAA. The uni’s are just piling on. Basketball can stand up to anyone but come on Nike, you got to learn to override the UK decision makers – you know, show ’em what they want; tell ’em what they need. We don’t need the checkerboards!

4. GoodOlJDub
    10:05 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Call me crazy – but I’d take the old UK logo back over a new football coach. Hate it and let my family/friends know to not buy me any UK gear with the UH logo.

• jkmann1
      11:00 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Same. The problem is that Nike is phasing out any and all merchandise with that old logo on it. I really wonder how long they stick with this.

5. za
    10:07 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

I wish we’d go back to the arched “Kentucky” on the jerseys. These look pretty silly.

6. richhomie_tom
    10:15 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

I think Nike should have reworked the denim uniforms as a nod to the 20th anniversary of the ’96 Championship team

• Molly Ray Cypress
      10:48 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Well I think that might be a little awkward since the denim unis were Converse not Nike… just sayin’

• Catsby80
      11:08 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Pretty sure Nike bought Converse, Molly. Can anyone else confirm?

• za
      11:10 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Nike owns Converse as of 2014.

• Molly Ray Cypress
      11:14 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

That is true that Nike owns Converse, however they still maintain the Converse Brand… my point was with all of the focus on branding, wouldn’t it be kind of awkward to not only have the University of Houston logo on our unis, but also the Converse branding as well… kind of odd for a Nike School in KY don’t ya think?

• Catsby80
      11:23 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

I think Nike could make a throwback uniform for UK and it would be no problem. It isn’t like UK would be switching to Converse for the long term. You’re focusing on all of the wrong things.

• Molly Ray Cypress
      11:27 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

all the wrong things? You mean like logos and branding instead of tuition hikes? Maybe I should apply for a job in Capilouto’s office!

7. I personally don’t think the new UK logo is that huge of a deal, which is precisely why I don’t understand why they changed it. Who looked at the old version and said “You know, if we just change that K just EEEEEEEEEEver so slightly, it will look SOOOOOOOO much better, and our merchandising will go through the ROOF!!!”?

• Molly Ray Cypress
      10:52 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

” Who looked at the old version and said “You know, if we just change that K just EEEEEEEEEEver so slightly, it will look SOOOOOOOO much better, and our merchandising will go through the ROOF!!!”?”

I’ll tell you who did… some dude from Nike… that’s who. Or the dude who sells signs to the University… this wasn’t just an Athletic Dept. change the entire university is changing to the University of Houston logo… Bye-bye Academic logo with memorial Hall… hello signage contracts and tuition hikes to pay for it!

• J-Dub421
      12:11 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

If you’re going to complain about tuition hikes, then write a letter to our governor who just slashed education funding.

8. bigtaters6957
    10:26 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

These look like a woman’s uniform. The Prince/Bogans/Hayes years unis are the best we’ve ever had.

9. peyton
    10:46 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

The checkerboard pattern was in fashion when people were still using “on fleek” to praise things. Time for something new/original.

• Patches
      10:53 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Yes the checker design is way over used

• Molly Ray Cypress
      10:54 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Your comment is the bomb! and what a groovy observation… you are so rad peyton!

10. patrickaspen
    10:53 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Not a fan.

11. stl_cat
    11:02 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Not great, but I’m glad they went back to having some more blue on the home jerseys and more white on the away. The ones they’ve used the last 2 years look way too boring. I liked the ones they got midway through the John Wall year and wore until end of ’14 season

12. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    11:24 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Still better than anything Adidas makes….

13. TWhite
    11:47 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Wouldn’t mind it if it was only two rows of checkerboard down the sides. That’s a little much, and a little busy.

Changed the UK logo simply because all of us who have years worth of the old logo on apparel will have to go out and buy stuff with the new logo to stay up to date.

14. UKBlueGreen
    11:54 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

I have always wondered who designs the uniforms. I don’t care for the basketball uniforms. The new football uniforms look great with the checked sleeves. But the Power K will always rule.

15. Thundercats
    11:56 am September 14, 2016 Permalink

Dislike button. And pattern reminds me of the dirty Vols.

16. bluehue
    12:23 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

Don’t like this gingham look on the uniforms, the players are going to look like a tablecloth

17. KYcats11
    1:44 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

No sense in wasting time typing 100 words about these things. They are trash. I like the football jerseys but the basketball jerseys are just terrible.

• Billy Hill
      2:22 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

Nothing better to do in the Da’ Ville today?

• KYcats11
      4:15 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

18. KYcats11
    4:14 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

No I’m simply posting my view (what a comment section is for) I don’t live in Louisville first of all. Second of all I just feel like there is too much checkerboard on the new basketball jerseys. The football jerseys nike hit out of the park, they put the checkerboard on them, but just in the places it fit.

19. Elk
    8:49 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

I’m okay with the two tones of blue checkers, like the end zones, but, in my opinion, this and the football uniforms are terrible. How many millions of dollars did we spend to match the end zones up to the old sleeves and shorts just to change over to a blue version of Rocky Top?

20. lgmagruder