Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

It’s a new week and Kentucky is holding steady as a three-seed in the East Region in the latest Bracketology from Joe Lunardi. Also in the East: Villanova (1), Purdue (4), and, yes, Louisville (2). Yes, that would mean a potential Sweet 16 showdown with the Cards in New York City.

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 12.28.11 PM

I made a promise to myself years ago not to stress out over hypothetical matchups, but that’s one that would do the trick. Lunardi has four SEC teams currently in: Kentucky (3), Florida (3), South Carolina (7), and Arkansas (9). Tennessee’s currently his second team out.

Meanwhile, CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm has Kentucky as the three-seed in the Midwest Region, which ALSO includes Louisville as the two-seed. USA Today’s Shelby Mast thinks Kentucky will be the three-seed in the East, but pits them against 2-seed Florida State in the Sweet 16 (as a side note, how people still consider #19 Florida State a two-seed is beyond me).

Bracketologists gonna bracketology, but I think the real question we’d like to know the answer to is whether or not Kentucky can get up to a two-seed by winning out.

12 Comments for UK still a 3-seed in latest Bracketology; potential rematch with Louisville in Sweet 16?

1. catsarerunnin
    6:06 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Well I guess I’ll be stocking up on Woodford just in case….

2. 8xchamp
    6:10 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Praying daily this happens, I want that one back.

3. Biglaw Dawgin'
    6:19 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I still agree with Cats as a #3 seed since they were rated a little high when their original bracket came out. At the time NCAA had them number 12 overall team, but Cats had just lost 3 out of last 5 games. I think now they are a legit #3 seed, on the border of a #2 seed. I think you’re right, Tyler. Current Rank #11, BPI #11, and RPI #7. The selection committee really favors RPI. If Cats can win out and win the SEC tourney, I think a #2 seed is locked up. Plus, if the committee screws UK, Cal will lose his mind on national TV again, so I’m thinking they’ll err cautiously.

FSU with a 2-seed after losing two in a row and four out of it’s last seven? Shelby Mast is out of his mind. They’re ranked #19, BPI #20, and RPI #12. They’ll be lucky to get a #3 seed.

• maximumscott
      6:50 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

FSU has not only lost their last 4 out of 7, but they have been to unranked teams and by double digits one of them was 20 point loss the others were around 12-16. I would pray for FSU to be a 2 seed especially in our bracket. I think they are extremely overrated. Most ACC get alot of attention bc there are so many ranked teams they are bound to have a day and when an unranked opponents wins they put em in the top 25. UNC is legit. Duke relys on 3s too much amd their defense is just as bad as ours was 3 weeks ago. UL plays good D, but cant string together back to back Offensive performances( they needed 12 3s st home to beat Va Tech) UVA has been exposed, their Offense isnt that good when decent Defensive pressure. UL lost to them bc UL doesnt have a consistent Offense. SEC sucks, but FSU as a 2 seed when they are 21 ranked?!?!? C’mon.

• CatBlue in LR
      10:26 am February 21, 2017 Permalink

They just scored 94 points! I didn’t see the game, but that tells me they must be doing something right on offense.

Agree with you about wanting FSU, though. I do, too. Much less nervous going against them at this point than U of L.

4. bdmnky81
    7:00 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Yes please. Dont care about the seed. Just lut us on the same side as ucla, ul, and kansas. I want revenge for the guys.

• AGSlater
      7:39 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

why? So the road is very bumpy and windy? ill take cupcakes

• kenny
      7:59 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I don’t agree with Ag much, but I’d say he’s right here. I’ll also admit I was a fan of sbtb growing up, like the name.

5. A_Blue_Wildcat
    7:17 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

We get a two seed if we win the rest of our games, which looking at the schedule, should happen.

6. Destroyou
    7:56 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I love this bracket. Basically a ticket to the FF. Overrated Nova. Louisville on a neutral court (easy W). Purdue replacing the only dangerous team (UCLA) is a cherry on top. To beat them all we need to do is feed Bam and put Swanigan on the bench.

• kenny
      8:01 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I hope you are right, I hate to admit it, but I think UL is playing good right now, and would be tough.

• bharlan24
      9:53 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Swanigan will have Bam on the bench early. Purdue at least Elite 8 could be more.