UK slides to #5 in the AP Poll, #4 in the Coaches Poll

UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

After losing their first regular season game since March 2014, the Cats slid to #5 in the AP poll this week and #4 in the Coaches Poll. Your new #1 team? Michigan State, who took home almost all of the first-place votes in both polls.

Here’s the latest AP poll:

20. Gonzaga
21. Vanderbilt
22. Louisville
23. Cincinnati
24. Oregon
25. Utah

Others Receiving Votes: UConn 82, Syracuse 78, Texas A&M 69, George Washington 60, UNLV 40, UCLA 19, South Carolina 15, Dayton 7, UALR 5, Florida 4, Georgetown 4, Iowa 3, Pittsburgh 3, Indiana 2, Northwestern 2, Navy 1, Notre Dame 1

Honestly, I expected voters to pounce on the opportunity to drop UK out of the top five, but it looks like a loss on the road with two starters hurt to a team craving revenge is pretty understandable.

UPDATE – Both polls side-by-side for comparison:

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.51.28 PM

19 Comments for UK slides to #5 in the AP Poll, #4 in the Coaches Poll

1. RealCatsFan
    1:44 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

I honestly think we should be in the 8-12 range right now, and I think it would have been a better learning lesson for our team and given them additional motivation if they had dropped further.

2. Shawn Kemp
    1:47 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

Meanwhile Louisville loses and moves up? That stripper scandal media bias strikes again…

• Booby Petrino
      2:04 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

I hate Louisville too, but they lost an away game to the #2 (now #1) team in the nation by just a few points. They led almost the whole game. They looked decent in the loss. I don’t think they deserve to be in the top 20, but I’d give them a spot in 21-25. Of course I’m no coach.

• drewfranklinsbeer
      2:24 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

In all honesty, and I hate to even say this, Louisville looked pretty damn impressive against Michigan State. Its hard to really say where they should or should not be ranked this early, but I will say they impressed me.

• Shawn Kemp
      3:10 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

‘Looked’ impressive? If all rankings were subject to quantification, it ‘looked’ as though one of UKs starters missed the entire game and another starter had a gimp shooting arm. Whereas it similarly ‘looked’ as if Louisville lost a double-digit lead to lose the game to a michigan state team that shot …

A loss is a loss no matter how it ‘looks’ as usual this is relative when it comes to weekly ranking fluctuations…

Twitter: @dallonadams

• drewfranklinsbeer
      4:20 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

LMAO look hoss, I hate Louisville just as much as anyone else. I literally fking hate them but they “IMPRESSED” me. And your right, a loss is a loss. I’d prefer that they lose every game. I apologize for replying to your post. I’ll ask permission next time.

3. Rajonrondo9
    2:02 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

I hope we play well enough to be #1 team again. Get Skal going, stay healthy, Poythress be consistent, Murray hit some shots. Will be a scary team by March.

4. UKmoney
    2:04 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

I hate to say it but Louisville should move into the top 10. Pitino quietly brought one of the best recruiting classes and say what you want about Sticky Ricky…. But you cant say he isn’t one of the greatest X’s and O’s college coaches off all time. His defensive halftime adjustments are genius and blow my mind every time. After playing a few seasons in the best conference in college basketball, this team will be battle tested and ready come tourney time. Now UK at 5 is understandable and the loss to UCLA is a godsend. Lets a very talented team know that they have work to do. How they respond to this loss will tell me everything I need to know about this team. When I say respond, I mean what will be their win loss record in the next 5 games… if they go 5-0, we have a great chance of hanging #9. 4-1 maybe. 3-2 no shot

• UKmoney
      2:10 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

that Mich State UL game reminded me of that Duke Wisconsin game in the regular season last year. I knew then like I know now that I was watching two of the best teams in the country.

• Michael W
      2:11 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

Is this serious about halftime adjustments? I just went back and checked, and UK has outscored UL in the second half of every game they’ve played since Cal arrived.

• UKmoney
      2:18 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

YES Im serious about halftime adjustments… This has nothing to do about Cal vs Pitino…. So, put the hatred to the side for a second. I’m talking complete body of work in March over the last decade! Cal has had some the most talented teams In modern collegiate sports so his dominance over Rick is justified and understandable. But Rick has done very well with a lot less talent.

• Mc12
      2:53 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

I disagree. You don’t move a team up into the top 10 for almost beating a team when they were up at one point 21-8 and lost by 4. The remainder of their games so far have been against awful teams, and that will remain that way until they play UK. When they actually play decent teams and win, they will deserve it. Nobody has ever said that RP isn’t a great coach. I’m just not buying it yet after watching them play a couple of games. I think 20 is about right especially when looking at the teams in front of them. The majority of those teams have actually beaten a solid team.

• Booby Petrino
      4:18 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

your paragraph is pretty funny. “After playing a few seasons in the best conference in college basketball, this team will be battle tested and ready come tourney time” So we’re supposed to wait a few seasons for them to be good? Wtf? And his halftime adjustments blow your mind? I would imagine your mind must be easy to blow. And Rick brought in one of the best classes? Hilarious. I watched the MI St game, and they looked decent, but really only had 2 players that were contributing much. So while I think they are maybe one of the top 20-25 schools, having only 2 good players will not get you far in March/April.

• spincr4hire
      8:56 am December 8, 2015 Permalink

but will UofL be eligible come March?

5. UKmoney
    2:26 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

1. NC (With Paige healthy they are the obvious best team in the country). 2. Mich State (for obvious reasons) 3. Iowa State (this team is scary good and full of upper classmen leadership) 4. Maryland (another team that will be battle tested out the ACC. I think they match up the best against UK’s guard trio) 5. UK (Camp Cal needs to come early this year)

• justaguyinthebackrow
      2:45 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

Maryland is now in the B1G.

• Mc12
      2:47 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

Maryland is not in the ACC. North Carolina is not obviously the best team in the country. There are about 5-6 teams that are equally as talented as them. Iowa State is a “I’ll have to see it to believe it team” come March.

The teams I worry about though currently are teams with solid guard play, but a big physical low post presence.

UNC, Maryland (if Stone lives up to the hype, if not, I’m not worried about them), and then maybe random teams like a Purdue.

I think MSU has a great coach, but if Valentine has an off game sort of like Grayson Allen did when he was locked down by Briscoe, they’re very beatable. They aren’t loaded with talent.

• Catsby80
      3:41 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

Iowa State? The same Iowa state that lost to a 14 seed on the opening weekend of the tournament last year? Pass. UNC is good. MSU is good. Not sold on Maryland. UK is good. Duke is good. Oklahoma is good. Kansas is good. If you made me pick a final four today, I can guarantee you Iowa State would not be in the mix for me.

6. empiremaker
    4:06 pm December 7, 2015 Permalink

Rankings this early are like my fanduel winnings right around $0.54.