UK self-reported two players working with an NBA trainer for free

Remember when Hamidou Diallo and Nick Richards played in those pickup games with Kevin Durant, Carmleo Anthony, LeBron James, and other NBA players back in August? Well, because Hami and Nick also received free instruction from Chris Brickley, a UofL grad who trains many of those stars, it’s an NCAA violation.

According to the Courier-Journal, UK self-reported the violation and two players were ruled temporarily ineligible before the season began. The players’ names were redacted from the report, but Hamidou Diallo and Nick Richards are shown working out with Brickley in New York in August on Brickley’s Instagram feed:

Everything would have been fine had Hami or Nick paid for the training sessions, but Brickley reportedly refuses to charge amateurs for his services. As a result, the NCAA determined the going rate for training sessions like that and the players paid that value to the charity of their choice. The entire team had to go through rules education as well.

The NCAA at work, my friends.

[Courier-Journal]

[mobile_ad]

26 Comments for UK self-reported two players working with an NBA trainer for free

1. tunesquad11
    1:31 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

That’s the best Nick’s looked all year

• Willis Wolf Tattoo
      2:04 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Hope you mean on offense, bc I counted him being scored on at least three times

• tunesquad11
      5:56 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Toward’s the end, I saw him grab a board with someone else close

2. nicky
    1:36 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Hope the fee wasn’t great…because the results haven’t been (yet, I hope??)

3. BigBlueNationDude
    2:05 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Obviously wasnt good training. Didnt help those guys.

• Booby Petrino
      2:13 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Kind of like your English teacher. Obviously wasn’t good at teaching and didn’t help you.

• Miller45
      9:10 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

I think they could at least acknowledge the earth is round

• Booby Petrino
      2:15 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Before anyone gets offended, I’m aware it isn’t the teacher’s fault that bbndude is dumb. I was just going along with his scenario.

• 4everUKblue
      3:32 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

I don’t mind if anyone gets offended if I call Slater dumb or stupid, because based solely on his comments he makes his own case.

4. Bobbum Man
    2:10 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

15 years of fake classes and academic fraud is fine… we draw the line at free training sessions and free lunches

5. uktribe
    2:17 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

might make SKJ step up and give Quade more playing time. missing Tai’s extra body and fouls about now!!

6. DerBaron
    2:18 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

The NCAA…what a bunch of clowns

7. chrislarkey
    2:19 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Two things.
    1. I will make sure to never send my kids to them to train, their results are pure pathetic. The BBB needs to shut them down.

2. Way to go NCAA, do this but let UNC players take fake classes and nothing happen.

8. UK Fan In Nashville
    2:36 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Hmmm…he refused to charge amateurs for his service. Then in that case the going rate for his services to amateurs should be free. What a bunch of clowns in Indianapolis. They don’t freaking understand what market rate actually means. Ugh this boils my blood.

9. kvltclassic
    2:44 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

I know that not everybody understands how this works but the NCAA didn’t come investigate this and pop them with a violation. Kentucky discovered the violation, determined it was a violation, and self reported the violation as well as self imposed the sanction (paying restitution to a charity). The NCAA doesn’t do anything with that accept to say “yeah you’re right.”

• Booby Petrino
      3:27 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

I think most of us understand that. It had to be reported because of the NCAA being petty, so hence the frustration with the NCAA. If they hadn’t self reported and the NCAA found out, it would be an issue…and that’s our issue with them.

• Aar
      3:32 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

It may be nuance but I suggest that UK self-reported these sessions just in case the NCAA determined that they were violations.

10. meeksfor3
    2:46 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Meanwhile in Chapel Hill Old Roy is still crowing about how they do things the right way. I would argue they are just able to get away with doing things the wrong way.

11. Ukfan1010
    3:02 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

It’s ok though right? They’re able to play the rest of the season correct?

12. Aar
    3:44 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

IMHO, the talent level in NCAA basketball will plummet if the NBA builds a way to bring young players into a “farm system” that pays them and the NCAA doesn’t allow “pros” or “semi-pros” to play college basketball. The knock on to that will be fewer NCAA basketball players being drafted. It also follows that viewership and TV money for March Madness will also drop. I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. It’s just a change. If it happens, I suspect we’ll see more 3-4 year players and the college game will become more team oriented. That could change the college game back to the style that I loved when I was younger.

• ukbradstith
      4:01 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

It will basically be like it was before the one and done started…at one point, 10-15 guys were leaving from high school, maybe more. It sucks, but I doubt it hurt tv ratings much, and I didn’t like bball any less than I do now.

• bluecrowe
      7:09 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Barely anyone cares about the NBA anymore anyway, so I am confused as to how the NBA thinks they need to build a farm system. It is just insane and college basketball will suffer horribly. It may kill college basketball.

• Miller45
      9:14 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

the NBA has had ratings trend positive every year since 2011 in regular season, playoff, and finals In an era of pretty high quality star level and a loaded young talent era. NBA is doing fine…..

13. 57nukeduke
    4:22 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

Hey you should have seen them before the free instructions, lol. By self reporting we probably dodged the death penalty!

14. bigbluehank
    6:26 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

For as little as he has contributed over his two year stint, it’s comical how much stress Hami has put the program and fanbase through. A prototypical “me-first” player.

15. Miller45
    9:01 pm March 8, 2018 Permalink

maybe they should get the chance to go to college after their first season in G league if they can’t hang?