UK releases statement following SEC’s lift of alcohol ban

The Southeastern Conference voted to allow the sale of alcohol at its stadiums beginning this fall, lifting a league-wide ban on booze that stood for over 30 years. However, each individual school will have to decide if it will participate, so we are still not completely sure if beer is coming to Kroger Field and Rupp Arena just yet. The brain trust within the university, namely Eli Capilouto and Mitch Barnhart, will ultimately make that call.

Shortly after the SEC’s ruling, we learned via a press release that UK will “take several months” to consider the issue:

“The SEC has taken the right approach to this important issue by deferring to the individual, member institutions to make decisions about what is in the best interests of each university, their programs, and their fans.

“Led by Director Barnhart, UK will take the next several months to consider this issue. We will, as always, seek to do what is right for the University, our student-athletes, and the experience and safety of our fans.”

— President Eli Capilouto

Tomorrow’s the first day of June, so if “several months” are needed, I wonder if the beer will be iced down and ready for sale by the time Toledo comes to town on August 31, should it get the green light. There is a lot that will go into this and that first kickoff isn’t too far away.

Or will UK even do it at all?

Article written by Drew Franklin

43 Comments for UK releases statement following SEC’s lift of alcohol ban

1. runningunnin.454
    3:34 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like a no to me.

• J. Did
      5:14 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. UGA is going to allow it in a $elect $ection at Sanford Stadium (i.e., donor$). I think this is good. For the wealthy. No worries. So long as they continue to permit healthy tailgating, in time, so long as fans behave, it may become a reality. I’ve seen plenty of obnoxious and taunting DAWG fans. Would prefer to minimize that – and alcohol sales to the General Public (‘whom’ many drunk UGA fans believe fought alongside Robt. E. Lee).

• KayutsBy90
      10:14 am June 1, 2019 Permalink

J. Did, UGA was actually were doing that before the ban was lifted. It’ll be interesting to see if they go all in now.

2. calcat
    3:43 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Please keep alcohol out of Kroger field and rip

• Alex90
      4:30 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

No. Please give up your seats to someone who will make noise and stop complaining

• J. Did
      5:28 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Alcohol sales at Commonwealth Stadium would increase University/vendor income. It would create jobs as it would increase the need for additional law enforcement presence. Those in violation – hopefully- will be sequestered and/or jailed. A new app will be created to report thy offending neighbor. Lawyers will be hired. Court fees and fines will help the city. Uber and Lyft revenues will increase. It’s a win win.

• calcat
      7:27 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Kids could go with out eating. Drunk driving will occur at a higher rate. l

3. Decker
    3:45 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

I’m probably in the minority’s on this but I sure hope UK keeps the ban in place. I’d like to take my kids and not have to worry about the atmosphere so much. There are already enough morons to deal with, don’t make it worse.

• luke.emberton
      3:53 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Dude everybody is already drunk at these games and the atmosphere is part of sports it should be wild it shouldn’t be like Rupp where everybody does a golf clap the whole game

• IndianaSucks
      4:37 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Agreed Luke

• WKY Cat
      4:53 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

The problem is everyone binge drinks right before the game. If allowed to purchase it, in theory you won’t have as many drunk a$$holes.

• J. Did
      5:37 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

I’ve seen a bunch of drunk fans. The good news is – they left shortly after 3rd quarter. And, they were in the minority. Not sure if it was the product on the field or the need to reload. Nonetheless, I was pleased the drunkards left. If alcohol sales were allowed, we’d likely see – over time – a reduction in the pregame tailgating imbibing and increase in consumption at the venue. Who am I kidding. That will never happen. People are creatures of habit. The drunkards will continue – and, it will get out of hand when they have the opportunity to reload at the C-stand. Until you ban tailgating, don’t sell alcohol and expect it to go well.

• gobble gobble
      6:11 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

People who say we should keep the alcohol ban are complete morons. They probably voted for Trump and try to push religion on people too…

• TPACAT
      8:46 am June 1, 2019 Permalink

Or, they could have voted for a liberal progressive like Hillary Clinton who wants to control every aspect of people’s lives… No wonder your name is “gobble gobble”.

4. Rod Crandler
    3:46 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Been to a couple of UofL football games. Always fun to see fans hammered and getting in fist fights with their own teams fans.

• J. Did
      5:46 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Man, I am with you brother. I’ve always said, if I lived in the ‘ville, I’d have season tickets for Football just for that reason. I’d also have season tickets for Basketball and Baseball.

BTW – still praying for Denny Crum’s recovery.

Not sure most fans know this, but Denny is part Hispanic. His Grandmother taught him how to make Legendary Bologna Tacos.

We ate many a fried Bologna sandwich – hot and fresh off a skillet on cheap white bread- which reminds me of my maternal Grandmother.

Fond memories.

5. ClutchCargo
    3:50 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

You guys realize that the ones who want to drink to excess already find ways to do it, right?

6. UkChubbs
    3:50 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Are you all Russian trolls or something? There’s plenty of drunk ppl at the games already. Set up a family section where kids can be safe from the horrors of alcohol.

• calcat
      3:52 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Set up a drunk section and let the rest be kid friendly.

• Jesus H. Chrysler
      4:55 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

^5 Ding! Ding! We have a winner

• Cole28
      4:00 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

You’re both saying the same thing… Except that one of you misunderstands that the drunk section will be 90% of the arena/stadium.

• UkChubbs
      4:17 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

At least there will be people at the games then

• gobble gobble
      6:13 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Hahaha kid friendly??!! It’s a football game… I’m sure kids hear about a thousand f bombs during the game. You should just worry about yourself

7. ukkatzfan
    4:03 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Since they are already allowing alcohol to big money spenders, the only question is “Are they going to continue to discriminate ?”. I guess money will once again win and it will soon be Kroger Field inside Budweiser Stadium.

8. CATandMONKEY
    4:03 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Thank heavens the SEC has kept the drunks out of stadiums across the South, all these years.

How will we, as a program survive without the protections of the conference?

9. Bluestreak
    4:16 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

I hope they keep the ban and not give the drunks 3 hours to get even more drunk. It’s for everyone’s own good. The only thing more annoying than a drunk to sober man is a sober man to a drunk. At least now they have 4 hours to sober up before they leave

10. 8generationsblue
    4:26 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

We don’t need a bunch of drunks at Kroger Field or Rupp Arena. Keep alcohol out!

• IndianaSucks
      4:39 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Have you ever even been to a game? The ban doesn’t keep alcohol out, it just keeps fans from buying it there…

11. tenmstar
    4:50 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Probably too soon after the death of the little boy
    at the stadium just last season -result of a drunk driving student.
    It would be tough to make a decision like that while thinking of that family.
    The administration will take their time.

• Harveyww
      5:16 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

That kid blew a 0.03 he wasn’t drunk just stupid

• UKnowMe
      1:00 am June 1, 2019 Permalink

@tenmstar you sir are an idiot. The person that caused that tragedy was underage and did not plan on entering the stadium that day.

12. Irwin R. Fletcher
    5:25 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Not sure I’ve ever been in Commonwealth without a flask. That’s not going to change. Regardless of their decision.

13. nellis234
    5:34 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

I’ve worked in a concession stand at Nissan Stadium in Nashville. The rule is (at every stadium that sells alcohol) only two drinks per person and the concessions people can cut you off if they think you are getting too drunk. This will actually keep people from binge drinking in the parking lot and maybe even keep people from sneaking in alcohol anyways. But let’s be honest here, I’d say 75% of Kroger Field probably has some amount of alcohol in them anyways lol

14. gobble gobble
    6:15 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

A lot of tiny little minds in here thinking upholding the ban will keep people from drinking…

• UK96Champs
      7:08 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

At least you didn’t say something stupid like… they probably voted for Trump

• TPACAT
      8:55 am June 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, you can tell “the gobbler” is your standard “I’m smarter and know better than you” liberal. Kind of like Matt Jones, now that I think about it…

15. abobicesaevior
    6:22 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Alcohol is already sold at Kroger Field in certain areas during games. To not allow it in the rest of the stadium is the epitome of hypocrisy.

16. bigblue98
    6:49 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

As a season ticket holder for 30+ years hope they keep the ban in place. Alcohol has been proven not to be a revenue generator as people are going to drink something inside the stadium anyway when they’re thirsty. The idea that people won’t binge drink before they go in is a good thought, but don’t believe that will happen. People who are tailgating at other stadiums such as U of L binge drink as they don’t want to pay 7 or 8 dollars for a beer and multiple times at that. It isn’t needed to boost attendance-put a good product on the field and people will come, as witnessed by 10-3 last year and now record season ticket sales so far. I realize that probably everyone posting to this section is responsible and mature with the ability to control their alcohol intake. However, it only takes one drunk moron at the game or drunk college kid over 21 to cause a terrible incident. Having said that, I also realize it is peoples right to drink if they allow in the stadium. These same people should also realize if they drink and become idiots it is my right to call them out. Not having alcohol for three hours on a Saturday isn’t the worst thing in the world. I would strongly encourage anyone to go to a U of L football game and decide after that if you want alcohol served to the general population at games.

• abobicesaevior
      7:09 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been to UL football games and they are no more rowdy than UK games. How about allowing the individual to decide instead of hypocritically allowing beer and wine in one part of the stadium and banning it elsewhere?

• bigblue98
      8:56 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

We can agree to disagree. I have been to more than 15 games at Louisville and there is no way crowds are same. As another poster said I’ve saw numerous fights between cards fans. I’ve laughed at the morons as looks pretty stupid watching two drunks rooting for same team fight. However, you know better than me. I’ve only been going to games since Claiborne came in. UK isn’t hypocritically doing anything. If you, me, or anyone else is willing to pay and get better seats then we can sit in the sections that allow to go inside for alcohol. Alcohol is also served in a much more controlled atmosphere as they can’t take out into the normal stands.

• abobicesaevior
      10:09 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

I’ll just continue to bring in my bourbon and share it with everyone around me if the ban stays in place.

17. notFromhere
    9:47 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

Beer… you mean BOURBON. Really dont care either way if it isnt bourbon. Luke said it well. The people are already drunk when they come into the stadium. They bring alcohol with them and continue to drink.

Dont know if it will help the atmosphere as much as it would improve revenue at the stadium. Ive seen so many fans being told to sit down or stop being loud all over the stadium. Gonna be worse now that only the golf clappers can afford to go, and with the team winning, it’ll draw more of the ones wanting to be seen rather than heard.

Let’s hope it doesnt ruin it

18. lex cath
    11:17 pm May 31, 2019 Permalink

My god it’s beer and wine, hopefully UK will have it available at the first game