UK players support the checkerboard in a big way

This settles it. The narrative that Kentucky players hate the checkerboards has been proven false during Wednesday’s SEC Media Day.

UK forwards P.J. Washington and Reid Travis both said they like their school’s jerseys and Travis went as far to say he loved them.

“I love the uniforms,” Travis said. “I love the checkerboard. It’s tradition to me. Just to see that coming down the side, it really just embodies Kentucky. When you see that checker, I’m almost brainwashed now. I immediately am thinking about Kentucky whether it’s in blue or white.”

Read it and weep. UK’s oldest and smartest (he went to Stanford) player loves Kentucky’s jerseys and the checkerboards. I think we all owe Mitch Barnhart an apology. Another underrated job by the country’s most underrated athletic director.

Kentucky sophomore P.J. Washington didn’t use the L word, but he has no issues with the checkerboards on the jersey.

“Yeah, it doesn’t bother me,” he said. “I’m cool with it.”

Washington is fine with the jerseys, but there is something he would change. He wants more checkerboard.

Kinda. Washington wants more jersey options (which we can only assume would also have checkerboards).

“I have no problem with them,” Washington said. “I just wish we had more. I wish we had different colors like gray or black or something like that.”

Maybe now we can pivot back to the “Can UK wear black and gray jerseys” debate? I mean their colors are blue and white, but if the players want them…

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

45 Comments for UK players support the checkerboard in a big way

1. davis2319
    2:18 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I don’t mind the checkerboard idea but our jersey both pants and top have A LOT of it lol but glad the players like it. That’s all that really matters in the end!

• lexfan
      9:02 pm October 18, 2018 Permalink

Somebody else loved those checkerboards first.

Wish that I was on ole rocky top,
      Down in the tennessee hills.
      Ain’t no smoggy smoke on rocky top,
      Ain’t no telephone bills.

Once there was a girl on rocky top,
      Half bear the other half cat.
      Wild as a mink, sweet as soda pop,
      I still dream about that.

Rocky top, you’ll always be
      Home sweet home to me.
      Good ole rocky top,
      Rocky top tennessee, rocky top tennessee.

Once two strangers climbed on rocky top,
      Lookin’ for a moonshine still.
      Strangers ain’t come back from rocky top,
      Guess they never will.

Corn won’t grow at all on rocky top,
      Dirt’s too rocky by far.
      That’s why all the folks on rocky top
      Get their corn from a jar.

Rocky top, you’ll always be
      Home sweet home to me.
      Good ole rocky top,
      Rocky top tennessee, rocky top tennessee.

Now I’ve had years of cramped up city life,
      Trapped like a duck in a pen.
      Now all I know is it’s a pity life
      Can’t be simple again.

Rocky top, you’ll always be
      Home sweet home to me.
      Good ole rocky top,
      Rocky top tennessee, rocky top tennessee.

Rocky top tennessee, rocky top tennessee.
      Yeah rocky top tennesee eee eee eee.

Welcome bandwagon jumpers.

2. Memphis UK Cat
    2:23 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I like them but hate the new logo.

3. KatsKlaws
    2:24 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Washington and Travis know as much about Kentucky’s history and traditions as a gnat…

• Cat68
      3:15 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Don’t like ‘em; represents a complete lack of creativity and style for the winningest program ever!

• michaelb
      6:25 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

You don’t know what they know. They’re smarter than you bich

• 4everUKblue
      10:40 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Tell em’ Slater. You’ll turn on them first sign of adversity.

4. ClutchCargo
    2:33 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I have no problem with the checkerboard stuff. But the cut of the jerseys is just not very manly, imo.

• Realme
      2:39 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

This. Exactly.

• a21CATSfan
      3:00 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

They have actually changed them back to the way they were. Less wife-beater, more tank-top.

• ClutchCargo
      3:48 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

As long as it’s not halter top it will be an improvement.

5. Duuuuuude
    2:35 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I like the checkerboard……wish it could be toned down a bit. I never understood people at KSR losing their mind over checkerboard on unis.

• a21CATSfan
      3:00 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

The width of the checkerboard has also been lessened. You don’t notice from the front so much.

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      3:05 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

KSR folk tend to live in the extremes. It’s one of many reasons they shouldn’t be taken too seriously on most subjects.

6. Ridge Runner
    2:37 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

When the players are satisfied… I’m satisfied.

7. John Henry
    2:48 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

The only negative comments I have heard about the checker board came from KSR and followers. It is appreciated by 95% of our fan base. Or they don’t care one way or another.

• BillyJoeCatFan
      5:43 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Of course that’s who did the most complaining. Haven’t you heard ? Matt Jones speaks for ALL UK fans. At least that’s how so many of his minions feel.

• aklcat22
      11:14 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Don’t buy that 95% of fans appreciation the checkerboard. 50% can’t agree that the sky is blue. I don’t mind a small amount of checkerboard like they had on the waistband but the current uniforms are a bit much.

8. a21CATSfan
    3:02 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I agree with PJ. Nike use to do at least one ELITE uniform option for championship schools per season. Kentucky has wore the same iteration, either white or blue, for the past two seasons. There has not been one alternate jersey since Tyler Ulis left.

9. JD
    3:19 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I’ve always liked the checkerboard. I think it looks great. I think for one game we should just go full checkerboard on a jersey.

• jaws2
      4:03 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Opposing players would go WACKY looking at full checkerboard! It might even help us with the refs. People watching on tv would be getting dizzy and hurling! This would be awesome!!! It might even shut Vitale up!!!!

• ziplock
      6:37 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Full checkerboard would be fun but the NCAA wouldn’t allow it. The old Marquette “Bumblebee” uniforms were banned for being disorientating to opposing teams and ours would be even worse.

10. Capecat
    4:07 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Have to agree with the players, love the checkerboard and how it represents UK in a big way!

11. Booher
    4:36 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Black jerseys with the blue and white checkers down the side would be sick

12. TheAssman
    4:38 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I would love to know what merchandise sales are like since we’ve had these checkerboards (jerseys, shorts sales with the chkbrds) compared to past uniforms. And sorry R Travis, but checkerboards are NOT UK tradition….maybe you are thinking the orange checkerboard a little south of Lex.

• BillyJoeCatFan
      5:40 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Hey Assman, maybe you are the one who needs to be checking on tradition. UK had checkerboard end zones on the football field LONG before the Vols “borrowed” it from us. As far as sales go, today there are more options to buy the replica uniforms – especially for kids – that look just like what the players wear so it’s going to be higher. 25 years ago if you bought a UK jersey, it was done independently, not by the official supplier such as now with NIKE>

Another who hears Matt Jones say something and takes it as the gospel.

• TheAssman
      6:00 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I’ve heard your story before about how UK “started” the checkerboard thing. So tell me this, if it is so steeped in UK tradition, how come I have never seen it on any UK uniforms until about 6 or 7 years ago? Yeah, that’s a LOT of tradition you got going there BillyJoe. And I was also looking for a little more than “it’s going to be higher” in regard to merchandise sales. I was looking for an intelligent answer comparing sales numbers.

• BillyJoeCatFan
      1:44 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

You spoke of tradition and said Reid Travis was wrong, that it was Tennessee’s tradition and I correctly stated UK had checkerboard endzones before UT. As far as you stating we started checkerboard on the uniforms 6 or 7 years ago you are also incorrect on that as well. We used checkerboards on the basketball uniforms dating back to BCG’s first season at UK, double the time you stated.

As to sales. First as I said it hasn’t been too many years removed that you couldn’t get the same uniform (replicas of anyway). Doubt if there are comparable sales numbers. However if the “new” stuff (Cat head and new UK) if it wasn’t selling you better believe they would be changing something. Obviously you have listened to MJ drivel seemingly every other day about how “everyone hates the checkerboard, even the players”. Now at SEC Media Day players were asked and said they like them, some can’t handle it. So many people hear MJ say something on the radio and swear by it.

13. AllBall
    5:30 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

F the checkerboard.

14. AllBall
    5:33 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Keep checkerboards on the horsetrack and off the hardwood. These guys don’t know squat about tradition.

• BillyJoeCatFan
      5:41 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

See above on tradition

• TheAssman
      6:03 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, this BillyJoe dumbass has this while tradition thing figured out.

• madarchitect
      6:51 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I’m not sure why someone is being called a dumbass when they are correct. It baffles me why people who are incorrect feel like posting last somehow makes them correct.

• Blue Bill
      12:33 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

Yeah assman, and I think he’s kinda got a man crush on Matt Jones as much as he tries to bash him and his “minions”, while he’s on the KSR site himself. Ha.

15. ExiledUK
    6:16 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

I guess I can live with the checkerboard but I will never buy any UK gear with the new logo. It is so tacky.

• michaelb
      6:31 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Yea I’m not big on that sissy wildcat head . It needs to me more imposing and less pretty

• Memphis UK Cat
      7:38 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Exactly way worse than checkerboards

16. Alleykat16
    8:43 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Look the people who has shown out right hatred for the checkerboards are guys who graduated from dook and which are the same guys who was calling for Coach Stoops to be fired. They run a pretty good UK news site. But when it comes to the actual playing of the game either basketball or football they don’t know dodo. So please leave the checkerboards alone they were worn by one of the greatest Derby winner ever. And that is Kentucky tradition that for now will remain as part of the schools uniforms. But keep up the good work with keeping us fan informed about the games, players and everything bad about Loserville.

17. east-ky-boy
    9:23 pm October 17, 2018 Permalink

Bring back the denim lol

18. twdisciple
    12:48 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

So one player, Reid Travis, says he loves the checkerboards and you make a post saying,”UK players support the checkerboard in a big way”.
    Reid Travis seems like the kind of guy that would be positive about anything and seems grateful to be at Kentucky and probably doesn’t care what the uniforms look like.
    PJ didn’t say he liked it at all, he said “it doesn’t bother me”, or in other words,”I don’t like them but I’ll deal with it”. I’d like to see what the other players think but at the same time, they’re not gonna come out and say they hate the checkerboards to the media. I think this is a dumb article trying to insinuate something that’s not true.

• kbo24
      10:28 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

This. Asking leading questions…and probably coaching the players before putting them on the air…about the uniforms is ridiculous…let it go KSR!

19. kuhlkat
    3:15 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

Matt the ego Jones perpetuated the myth that the players hated them simply because he hates them.

20. Urincatland
    3:55 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

The players are the ones wearing them, let them decide on what style they want.

21. CopenhagenCat
    4:28 pm October 19, 2018 Permalink

I doubt they are going to say they hate . I know im ready for a change.