UK players not thinking about their basketball futures right now

Kentucky’s NBA prospects kept it short and simple when asked about their basketball futures. Many will have the opportunity to pursue their NBA dreams this upcoming summer, but for now, their minds are only with their teammates after the loss.

Hamidou Diallo: “I really don’t know and I’m not really worried about that right now. I just ended our season on a terrible note. I’m not worried about that. Whatever happens, happens.”

Nick Richards: “We just had a tough loss. I’m not even thinking about that right now.”

PJ Washington: “I have no clue right now. We just lost. I’m not thinking about none of that right now.”

Quade Green: “I’m just worried about my schoolwork right now and getting through school this year. I’m not worried about next year.”

Kevin Knox: “I’m just trying to focus on this season, focus on school. I want to make sure I get good grades. I’ll sit down with my parents and we’ll go from there.”

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: “I haven’t thought about it at all.”

Jarred Vanderbilt: “I haven’t put any consideration into it. Right now I’m focused on Kentucky basketball and I’m just here to support my guys right now.”

It’s easy to understand why they’re not up for discussing it right now, but it’s a conversation they’ll each be having very soon.

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for UK players not thinking about their basketball futures right now

1. backwaterd
    3:26 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Love the kids!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you

2. msnthrop
    5:52 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

That’s about the most ridiculous headline I’ve ever read…that is all this group has ever thought about.

• timbo
      6:04 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Your drivel is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read.

• bankerbh
      6:51 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Headline seems pretty accurate as they likely made their decision before the season began or shortly after their arrival at UK. The season and tournaments were formalities.

• BigBlueMeade
      8:44 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Please stop with that BS. You have no idea what these kids think about.

• syrin23
      9:29 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Oh really? You don’t think Vanderbilt sitting out wasn’t directly affected by his potential draft status when their player plays with a broken foot two weeks into an eight week recovery process? You’re delusional. They absolutely know what they are doing. Some may not know if the league wants them, but they know they are going.

3. UKLugo
    8:01 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I see Shai,Hami,Knox,Vanderbilt,Richards, and PJ walking. The only one of those that I feel has any desire to stay is Shai and he’s probably going to strike while the iron is hot. Can’t really blame him.
    It wouldnt surprise me all that much to see SKJ transfer, too.

• syrin23
      9:30 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

WHo is going to draft Hami and Shai on their body of work? The NBA has become a drive it to the hole or shoot the three league. PJ and Hami cannot shoot. Shooting has become much more important than ever at the next level.

4. chrisg18
    8:18 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Why would Quade, Hami, PJ, or Nick be having this conversation?

5. ClutchCargo
    8:26 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Why does the media feel the need to ask stupid questions like this in the locker room right after a loss? That question will never be answered with a reliable or useful answer, so why even go there.

• syrin23
      9:32 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I a;ways wonder the same thing. Why don’t they ask Cal why he didn’t throw alley oops and post up players down the stretch when they didn’t have anyone over 6’2″ in the game, or why he feels the need tpo step out of the coaches box and push the refs?

6. 3 fan
    8:54 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Did someone ACTUALLY ask Nick Richards his thoughts on the NBA???

Or Vanderbilt??? I mean, how much time would he take off for a hangnail? 3 months?

7. binarysolo
    10:48 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I appreciate very much how these guys are being very classy after a tough loss — looking at you, Lonzo — but we’re kidding ourselves if they didn’t come to UK for the sole purpose of being a one-and-done. Knox and Shai are lottery picks, I see Hami leaving the same way Briscoe did (no guarantee to be picked first round), PJ is probably 50/50. Would love to have everyone else back, especially Wenyen and Jarred.

8. RickE
    1:37 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for a great season Cats!

9. Randall lee
    1:43 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Why talk to Richards,there must be 50 centers better than him in college now.

10. FACTS