UK opens as a 13.5 point favorite against West Virginia

Vegas has spoken and the Cats opened as a 13.5-point favorite against West Virginia in Thursday’s matchup in Cleveland. The line stayed steady overnight.

Sounds about right. I’ve got the Cats to cover.

11 Comments for UK opens as a 13.5 point favorite against West Virginia

1. blakea
    11:30 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Over, see Texas vs. West Virginia result. Competent guard play paired with height is too much for WVU. Last years team would’ve struggled but this year we have better Harrisons and Ulis.

• blakea
      11:59 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Forgot to mention their half court offense is atrocious.

2. mgilkey13
    11:37 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Yeah I’ll take the McCoys by 20. I haven’t seen a press bother KY all year long. We have terrific ball handling ability with not one but 2 talented PGs, and we’ll stretch the floor and go right over the press. This will be a fast game with plenty of highlight dunks. WVU’s offense is poor and like EVERY OTHER TEAM we’ve played, are not used to our speed and length on defensive filling passing lanes. You can’t emulate that in practice. They’ll get in early foul trouble and we may shoot 35-40 free throws in the game. Couple that with two rowdy fan bases, drinking all evening, and a late game time and it could get ugly in more ways than one in Cleveland this Thursday. Be safe everyone. Go Cats!

3. jrudder0
    12:30 pm March 23, 2015 Permalink

But…what if (stay with me…WHAT IF)…Huggins goes crazy and goes back to a zone. Not the 2010 version of his 1-3-1 necessarily, but something slower. Granted, my wife and I just talked about how, in the tournament, teams generally don’t change their game drastically to fit the opponent, but I could absolutely see Huggins changing gears a bit and trying to slow it down, pack it in and force some outside shooting. I know in my head UK can handle any defense as they’ve done it all year. I guess the closer we get to #40, the more nervous I get…!

• blakea
      1:23 pm March 23, 2015 Permalink

I’m nervous too but I think you’d just get the Cincy game all over again. Lyles will be guarded by someone 1/3rd his size. It’d be a closer game but wouldn’t be a dangerous one unless Andrew, Aaron, Devin, and Ulis all missed threes like the 2010 team did

• EdC
      4:25 pm March 23, 2015 Permalink

Who cares? I frankly think that we play better overall against zone this year. We have certainly faced it a lot more. This team doesn’t settle for 3 nearly as much as 2010 did.

• deltasig41
      4:49 pm March 23, 2015 Permalink

So what if he does? That would be to our advantage…West Virginia has played this speed-up style all season long. They want to change their style that dramatically? Let them…They’ll be out of practice.

WVU’s defense will be tough…We will likely turn the ball over more than we have all season, and it will muck the game up considerably…But…WVU will also foul us incessantly, and we’ll shoot a ton of free throws (which we’ll make a good percentage of). Plus, something that seems to have been forgotten by the “experts”…WVU has to score too. They struggle offensively, we’re the best defense in America. They may struggle to break 40.

We don’t have an inherent weakness. If we play well, we’ll win easily. If we don’t…Well, it’s that time of year.

4. RealCatsFan
    1:46 pm March 23, 2015 Permalink

I hope the arena in Cleveland doesn’t have the state fair / circus style rims that don’t allow outside shots to fall. Seems like we always shoot lousy in that arena. UofL does too, although it might just be that they are a lousy shooting team. Although they did shoot much better in their game last night – maybe there IS something wrong with the rims in the YUM center.

5. jeffj
    3:48 pm March 23, 2015 Permalink

give that guy a Xanax , make it 2

6. satcheluk
    4:49 pm March 23, 2015 Permalink

My first thought was that spread seems a tad high. Cal seems to get us up by 20 or so and then let’s the foot off the gas in order to coast to a 10-12 point win.

7. catdaddyd
    9:07 pm March 23, 2015 Permalink

I don’t see us covering that spread. It would be great if we do though.