UK not even in Top 50 in NCAA’s first NET Rankings

The NCAA released its first ever NET rankings today and… oh my… Kentucky is ranked all the way down at No. 61, way below its No. 10 place in the AP poll.

The NET (NCAA Evaluation Tool) is the NCAA’s alternative to the RPI and it is being used for the first time this season. It is the primary metric the selection committee will use to choose and seed teams for the tournament next spring.

The NET is unique in that, unlike the RPI, it will take into account margin of victory. It also relies on game results, strength of schedule, game location, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses.

Ohio State, of all teams, is the No. 1 overall team in this first rankings set.

The entire top 10 looks like this:

1. Ohio St.
2. Virginia
3. Texas Tech
4. Michigan
5. Gonzaga
6. Duke
7. Michigan St.
8. Wisconsin Big Ten
9. Virginia Tech
10. Loyola Marymount

What?!

See the NET rankings here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

51 Comments for UK not even in Top 50 in NCAA’s first NET Rankings

1. BBNJeffrey
    12:50 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

At this point I’m going to say, what a joke!!!!

• runningunnin.454
      12:53 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

How many Wisconsins are there?

• KYCat4EVER
      5:02 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

One too many! Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan… they all are Gods curse on the USA!?

• ClutchCargo
      1:53 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

I have no idea, but all the Loyolas need to join forces and conquer college basketball.

2. IrishCat
    12:52 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

On paper the system seems okay, but using only those analytics and nothing else, it makes sense that the rankings could be way off this early in the season. Let’s see how it looks in February.

3. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    12:58 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

And just like the RPI it’s entirely worthless at this point in the season. Unless you’re a blogger filling space.

• mashburnfan1
      3:16 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

RPI we are 82nd

4. VirginiaCat
    1:19 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Yet another indicator that Kentucky basketball is on a downward slope. The Duke loss was a huge wake-up call and there are more to come. For those of you who believe that such comments are tantamount to disloyalty, I say that when there is writing on the wall, we best read it.

• ClutchCargo
      1:48 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

The only thing this indicates is that it is a new ranking tool being used, our team got crushed by the one really good team they have played, and the strength of schedule to date hasn’t been good enough to move back up. Virginia went from 77 last week to 2 this week. That tells me it is only really useful when looking at the whole schedule at the end of the season, if that.

• AwesomeBillFromDawsonville
      1:54 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

What does that writing say exactly? After we read it, what are we going to do? Turn to you for suggestions on how to rebuild our supposed downwardly trajected perennial powerhouse basketball team?

On second thought, I’ll skip all that and just trust Cal. Enjoy it while you can.

• bigblue2284
      3:47 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

He’s saying the formula isn’t working, it works when you get top 10 recruits not when you get top 50 recruits. I pretend to know how to fix the issues we have but a start would be adjusting the play calling. Maybe mix in zone and try dribble drive kick outs for open looks, run an actually system instead of letting guys play AAU style with no ball movement what so ever.

• JASUN74
      5:03 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Big blue 2284, it’s worked so far but they top 50 guys worked for Villanova the past few years. We can’t snap our fingers and make PJ , green, Richards juniors or seniors. Maybe this has been Cal recruiting the way all you all wanted him to. I’ve heard for five years now that we need guys to stay longer. Well now it’s getting started!!! They’re you go. This is more for people like mash tater and the likes. Anyway we’re still the Best program in the Country!! We’ve just missed a couple guys the last couple years that we really wanted and would’ve made a big difference. Coach John Calipari is the only Coach in the Universe that I’d want as our Coach. He will figure it out and when he does , like he does every year, every thing will be right again. Well I love our team, and think they have everything they need to end up in the Final Four this year. I think Richards is just now starting to realize that he can be a difference maker. Anyway Go Cats.

• bigbluebanana
      9:23 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Well said Jasun

• bigblue2284
      6:14 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

I’m not a fan who wanted 3 or 4 year players. I like elite recruiting which Cal isn’t doing for whatever reason anymore. It works for Jay Wright because he is a better coach than Cal.

5. michaelb
    1:20 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Not surprising

• UKPROF
      4:40 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Correct. It is not surprising. Why? Because, right now we are NOT a Top 50 team. We are no better than 4th in the SEC right now.

• bigbluebanana
      12:05 am November 27, 2018 Permalink

I’ll call your bs here prof, at worst we are 3rd.

6. KYjellyRoll
    1:32 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Well the greatest thing about the coach we have…this is the norm for teams headed into December. They usually get better in conference play. Cals teams have a bad habit playing down to their competition (excluding the 14-15 team, they were special) so, when conference play starts, the team starts to get

• KYjellyRoll
      1:32 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Gel?

• BigolBlue
      7:51 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

8-8 in the sec upcoming

• bigbluebanana
      9:26 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

If they’re 8-8 I’ll build a statue of you in Pennsylvania, I’ve got a ton of extra horse sh!t on the farm anyway.

• BigolBlue
      11:05 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

10-8 last year with a worst team this year. Sorry 9-9

• bigbluebanana
      12:18 am November 27, 2018 Permalink

You’re a special kind of stupid ol blue. 10-8 at worst this year. Write it down, take a picture, whatever. And you know what? They could go 0-18, I’d still bleed blue, so would the rest of our fans. You’re an embarrassment to our university and to yourself. You’re just purposely contrarian, idk, maybe one of the players stole your girl, but you’re a sour puss. Your arguments are weak and based on nothing other than your own disappointment. You have poor grammar and your only ally around here is that tool combatmedic98. At least negative folks like mashburn fan have fairly stable arguments sometimes and they can clearly transcribe their perspective. You genuinely seem like a terrible person, and I mean that. I really hope you haven’t reproduced because I feel bad for your children if this is the example you set. And it’s not just me around here that sees that. You have 1 guy who jumps to your aid, and even when he does, he’s just making fun of the rest of us, he’s not actually taking up for you. There’s like 100 people constantly calling you out for your ludicrous, and moronic statements. When everyone tells you you’re the problem, but you think you’re the one in the right, that means you are, indeed, the problem. I don’t wish you ill will, or any harm, I just wish you’d think before you write. Life has obviously rolled you up tight and put you away wet…I’m sorry for that.

• BigolBlue
      4:44 pm November 27, 2018 Permalink

9-9. You know ive got you good now. You just wrote an entire article. Thanks. Keep sucking Cal off

7. Truth_Hurts
    1:39 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

With the way they’ve played so far this year, I don’t understand why this is surprising? With that said it’s still very early.

8. sprtphan
    1:48 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Come on. We beat Tennessee State and Winthrop!

9. Bluebloodtoo
    2:15 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

That’s probably accurate at this point in the season. We only played one good team and lost badly. We’ve played several cupcake teams and not won very convincingly.

• N-UR-i
      2:27 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

This. We will have plenty of opportunities to prove we belong higher against UNC, UL, UT, etc….

10. Aar
    2:24 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Numerical analysis doesn’t lie. It may be flawed but it doesn’t lie. Given that the Cats have been beat down once and only covered the spread once against cupcakes, I’d say 61st is somewhere between correct and generous. Gotta play (and beat) higher ranked teams in order to improve. It’s not where you start the season, it’s where you end it that matters. I still like this team to end the season in the top 10 or better.

11. chris47601
    2:33 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Shows how flawed polls are

• ukbradstith
      2:52 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

No, it really doesn’t have any factor in the polls, and vice versa. The polls are much more accurate at this point in the season anyway.

12. Boogie31
    2:54 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Using another shit system instead of just common sense is see.

13. satcheluk
    5:10 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

This actually seems closer than #10 we got because of the name on our jersey. I hate it when it happens in football, so It’d be hypocritical to accept it here.

• bigbluebanana
      9:35 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Two totally different systems man. As someone already stated, UVA went from #77 to #2 in less than week. Just like we could go up into the top 5 just by winning against UNC. We’ve played cupcakes, so undoubtedly we are lower. By the time we are half way through SEC play, we will be in the top 10.

• BigolBlue
      11:08 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

So wrong about this. This team struggles in almost everything with poor guard play which is everything in college bball. This team is going to struggle to stay in top 25 come conference play. Look if this team was better I would think otherwise. They just arent. Keldon and Reid are solid. Thats about it.

• bigbluebanana
      12:22 am November 27, 2018 Permalink

These guards will put it together and you’ll still be b!tching. We could win out and you’d still be an angry little runt.

• BigolBlue
      4:46 pm November 27, 2018 Permalink

Nope. Not accurate. I call it how it is. Until we improve I will call out their flaws. Which is a lot. Yes they could improve, but this team aint winning it. You play at uk for titles.

14. JASUN74
    5:20 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

DO NOT GIVE UP ON THESE CATS!!! Guys this team is going to be unbelievable by the end of the year. We have every piece we need to be a final four team, and we will be I believe. Just takes time to get that togetherness that they need. Once we get that confidence that you have to have , we will be unstoppable. They are working so hard right now and I guarantee it will pay off. Cal is a genius at taking a group of kids and making them one unit, making them a TEAM!!! They come to Ky to win a Championship!! Not to be perfect at the beginning of the season !! I’m not going to tell some of you “find another team”. I hate when people say that and it’s stupid. I understand fans can get frustrated. But I also know you wouldn’t be here , and be worried about Ky if you weren’t fans. I think everyone here loves Ky basketball!! The History, Rupp, our love for this team is unmatched by any other. But please don’t give up on this years team. They are great young men and more talented than they’ve shown so far. This will be an unbelievable season when it’s said and done and I honestly think we are right there in the last game of the year in college basketball. Thanks , and I LOVE THIS TEAM.

15. jaws2
    5:35 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

I REEEEALY hate uOFsmell, but we need to get a lot better to beat them this year. They’ve played 2 teams on neutral courts pretty damn good so far.

16. Matt10
    5:48 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Come on, you have to admit it’s silly for UK to be ranked so high at the start of seasons based solely on high ranking recruits who have never played a college game. Me personally, I wouldn’t rank UK higher than maybe 20 at the start until I see their freshmen play a few games.

• UKfanman01
      8:03 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

The problem is that, if they start off at 20, and they keep winning, it will take forever to make it into the top 5-10 range. They base UKs ranking off of recruits and the head coach

17. KYJelly
    7:32 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Doesn’t Gonzaga have 2 Top-10 wins? How are they not 1?

18. BigolBlue
    7:49 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Uhh ya think? We stink

• bigbluebanana
      9:36 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

No, that’s just you, maybe your wife.

• BigolBlue
      11:10 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

That was funny in ’95

• bigbluebanana
      12:20 am November 27, 2018 Permalink

We were through with your mom in 95

• CATandMONKEY
      11:42 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

But still funny nonetheless – But he probably should have said “your mom.”

19. somerset bill
    7:51 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Any rating system that ranks a 5 win, 1 loss UK team 11 behind Liberty and 6 behind Abilene Christian, regardless of how early in the season it is, or how ho hum the victories have been, needs to shut down until they can get enough stats to not be ridiculous. Maybe they need to kick off their rankings every year on New Years Day — or later than that. Or, tweak their metric.

20. UKfanman01
    8:02 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Ya know, cause Texas Tech virtually wins every year. Next to Virginia, yeah the 1st number 1 to blow it (over all number 1 in the nation), and the gridiron basketball team Ohio State

21. 1stkatman
    12:50 am November 27, 2018 Permalink

Adolph Rupp just turned over in his grave to read this article. “NET, my ash.”