UK Fans of the Day Want Some Quick NBA Draft Notes

I am bummed about the game on Saturday and just now getting over it. But I do also come bearing some thoughts:

— After talking to a number of people today, I think its very likely that UK will lose seven to the NBA Draft. This isn’t a revolutionary thought, as Calipari said tonight on his radio show that he expected to lose “6 or 7″…so picking the latter of those isn’t crazy. After speaking with some folks today, I am now in the camp that the one still deciding is Dakari, not Devin Booker as I had presumed. These two days (Tuesday and Wednesday) are about Calipari meeting with his players and giving them their stock in the Draft as he sees it. Then the players make their decisions based up on what he says. From what I am hearing, Booker is projected towards the 15-20 area and that would be enough for him to go. Dakari I believe, wants to go but is making sure it is a smart decision. He is the one remaining uncertainty to folks, but most expect him too to go. This could change of course (many things do), but is what I am hearing now.

I don’t blame any of the players for going. For most, it is the correct decision. Willie and Karl will be Top 10 picks…the Harrison Twins have probably maxed out their draft stock while in college (I think they both end up going higher than people think…especially Andrew) and they were hoping to be One and Done to begin with. I am told Lyles’ stock is higher than many believe (10-15) at which point it makes sense to go. Booker and Dakari are tougher cases…one can make the claim that Booker could come back and go top 10. But that isnt a certainty…what if he comes back and has shooting slumps or finds his defense exposed a bit more? Maybe then his stock doesnt do anything or even slips. It is a risk to come back for a little bit of a draft bump when you aren’t certain it will go that way. Dakari isn’t an assured first round pick but most of the things holding him back (athleticism and speed) are unlikely to change. Could he rise after a big year? Yes, I think he could. But I am not sure how much. His is the toughest choice and I think either decision makes sense.

— I am hearing that Ulis, Lee, Willis and Hawkins will all be back. Rumors of transfer from any of the last three I am told are incorrect. Alex Poythress is almost certain to come back, but is still going through the process of trying to gather information.

— UK has three players coming in so far next year (Isiah Briscoe, Skal Labissiere (who is apparently killing it at the Nike Hoop Summit) and Charles Matthews). I expect them to add 2-3 more, depending on the final decisions by Booker/Dakari. My guess is one big man if Dakari leaves and two guards/wings. In a perfect world, that is Stephen Zimmerman and two of the Newman/Jaylen Brown/Brandon Ingram threesome. But it won’t be clear until after all decisions are final just how UK stands with all of those kids. Backup plans likely exist but hopefully won’t be needed.

— For what its worth, I do feel better than I have in two years about Calipari’s future at Kentucky. I don’t think its certain he will stay here until the end, but I also don’t think he has a strong NBA desire as he may have had at points in the past. If a crazy offer comes, you never know, but whereas two years ago I thought he would give the NBA a go, now I am less convinced. That is good.

Take everything I say (and life) with a grain of salt. But those are my views as of now. More on the radio tomorrow.

Article written by Matt Jones

41 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want Some Quick NBA Draft Notes

1. Dickbutt
    10:28 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

That picture is why Matt Jones is holding out on the legalization of polygamy.

2. crazzedcats22
    10:33 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

How in the hell does a team lose 7 guys? Especially when only 2 are lottery picks and 3 are likely second rounders to undrafted. Absolutely insane to me, can’t convince me this would ever happen anywhere else. This would ruin the entire season for me.

• not
      11:08 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

This is Kentucky, where average guys get inflated draft stock and disappear into the league (like james young, teague, orton, miller, harrellson)

• not
      11:09 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

and i forgot Lamb

• UK Big Board Update
      1:11 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

^^^ Hahahaha. He used 4 guys who went in the second round as examples.

• Wilfred Smith
      5:48 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Two of his examples were seniors as well. Should they have applied for grad school?

3. bouzoukiman
    10:45 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

So I haven’t heard anyone address this: would having Alex have made a difference? Maybe not, but how often do we all think about how many championships we might have if not for DA’s knee, Bogans’ ankle, Willie’s ankle, Bowie’s shins.

• CPACAT
      10:54 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

And Mike Casey’s car accident

• jonthes
      11:01 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

Every team usually has to deal with injuries – Wisconsin lost their point guard, Duke and Lullville dismissed a major player. But Kanter, Bogans, and Willie last year still hard to swallow.

• bouzoukiman
      11:23 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

Oh, and I forgot Dale Brown’s shoulder.

• joe.eskridge
      1:59 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

You forgot Adolph Rupp’s hemorrhoid…

• rnet
      2:37 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

I forgot all about not having Alex and WCS in the tourney.What was the guy’s name that looked like WCS but didn’t do shit in the semi final game? So glad I’m not going to have to deal with his half hearted attempts to play basketball next year.

• symphonist41169
      8:43 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Don’t forget Pat Riley’s injured foot in ’66.

4. nybrasky
    10:50 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

Am I crazy to think that Trey Lyles could play his way into a top 5 pick if he came back?

I know there are many considerations that go into the decision, but it seems he could make a lot more money in his first contract if he came back (although it would delay payment a year).

• Shane523
      11:14 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

This times 1000

5. CPACAT
    10:53 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

I think the pressure to go “one and done” has hurt the careers of many good players who felt the pressure to “leave early” when, in actuality, they weren’t ready. See the following CATS who are not currently in the league and “may” have improved their draft status, basketball skills (see Uncle Frank at the YMCA), physique, and work ethic had they stayed in school..

Deandre Liggins – maturity, work ethic, shot, strength
    Doron Lamb – work ethic, conditioning, strength, skills (getting open when guarded)
    Marquis Teague – same as Doron, plus handle on ball pressure situations
    James Young – all of the above
    Archie Goodwin – needed all the above as well, but landed a spot on Phoenix’s bench
    Add to that group from this year: Booker, Lyles, Johnson, Harrisons.

• inside info2
      11:25 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

Cal is playing inside a house of cards. If one card falls, the whole house comes down. He has to push people out before they are ready to keep the hype and momentum going. The Twins not going one and done could have done it. If we have more stay, everything Cal has built will come crashing down. He says “players first” but it is really “recruiting first”. Although all the recruiting in the world will not save him from the wrath of BBN if he does not win another title soon. He is already facing some backlash from the fringes now after not winning this year. That will only get louder and louder. We* are crazy after all…

*yes, WE. I am a member of BBN and enjoy having Cal here. Not a troll. Just calling it like it is.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:19 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

^ Ulis, Booker, Briscoe, and possibly/probably Malik Newman would disagree.

Those who are complaining about Cal are the worst kind of fans. Seriously.

It could be worse – we could be like little bro down the road, with suspensions, dismissals, mass transfers, underwhelming recruits, and a title every 13-26 years….. They have a HOF coach, too.

• shundaroni
      8:31 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Nonsense, “inside info2.”

The Harrisons aren’t exactly the first premier recruits under Cal not to be one-and-done (T. Jones, Doron Lamb, WCS, Dakari, Marcus Lee, Kyle Wiltjer, and Alex Poythress), and we don’t appear to be having any trouble on the recruiting trail. One top of that, a large portion of this season’s hype was not about the freshmen, but about the returning players, and that makes perfect sense: when you have great players come back to play multiple years, that’s going to grab attention.

Put simply, your version of “calling it like it is” is just patently inaccurate.

You’re a dummy.

• inside info2
      9:30 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

The Twins were the first freshman heralded as one-and-dones that did not go that way. None of the players you cited were regarded as guaranteed 1&done, and most of the ones you cited were never discussed as 1&done.

I hope I am a dummy and Cal is the coach at UK until about 3 days after his funeral.

6. HanOfTheBluegrass
    10:59 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

So what’s the deal with Thon Maker?

7. Shane523
    11:14 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

KAT and WCS are the only ones that make since. The others ALL have greater possibilities of moving up in the draft with another year. It doesnt happen here, players leave all the time. It sucks but it what it is.. I feel like the other 5 guys staying, while it may sound homerish, is the correct thing to do

8. bharlan24
    12:16 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

I’m through with this madness. We had a great team this years because we had upper class men. If we lose Booker, Lyle and Johnson we’re going to look like Kansas this year. If those 3 stay we have a top 10 team. Otherwise we may fall out of the top 25. Remember how that was? I’m in favor of Towns and any upper class men going but Booker and Lyle I just didn’t see that consistency out of those two.
    My 2 cents worth.

9. bharlan24
    12:24 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Also, I am very disappointed in Willie and any one else that did not congratulate the Wisconsin team. All the good Willie did over his time here , he in one moment of bad judgement messed that up. I learned in my business a 100 atta boys are removed with one aw shit.

10. theWilkman
    12:47 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

It is what it is. You can’t fault a kid with NBA aspirations if this is his best chance to go. Yes, some could come back and possibly improve their stock, but they could come back and stay the same or fall as well. If some players from UK in the past have left early and under achieved, whose fault is it- theirs or the GMs who drafted them? None of these kids would go early if the money wasn’t there. To act like you’d do any different is ridiculous.

In the end, we will still have a few hold overs and the kids coming in will pick up the slack. If you’re “sick of it” and “done with this team” then go, good riddance. Don’t come crawling back when we make the Final Four again next year.

11. Ukfan4life0551
    1:22 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

You people are truly idiots.

12. Patrick_Wren
    2:15 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

It is absolutely amazing the bullshit that gets posted in the comment sections on KSR. None of the aforementioned players that left early are hurting for coin and all are playing….somewhere. Of course they could all stay…..and have a Randle moment first game of the season.

“In Cal I Trust!” …and please stop with the total bullshit about….Cal forcing players to leave……complete and utter nonsense! Only I am aware of that…”forced players out…” Coaches a team down the road…..remember Roderick?

• catdaddyd
      11:47 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

We don’t win the title if Roderick is here in ’96. So kudos to Rick for that one.

13. marcmaggard
    2:56 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Yep your right Patrick, not many 1st team All Americans can get 2 pts and 5 rebounds in the national semi final game.Let me repeat that, 2 points 5 rebounds in 33 minutes =(More than any other player on the team) Something about the whole game the refs, the way a certain player played ,common sense coaching decisions ,Something was off,forced, purposely. Before you all jump my shit, watch the game again. Shady shady shady.

• marcmaggard
      3:14 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

By the way, WCS performance against Whiskey was the lowest PER ( Player Efficiency Rating) ever for any 1st team All American player in a final or national semi final game.

14. RealCatsFan
    7:31 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

You know, these forums were actually kind of quiet while this team was rolling through 38 straight wins, but as soon as the Cats suffer a tough loss, all the trolls and idiots come out of the woodwork. I have seen so many posts lately by people who had absolutely nothing to contribute when things were going well. As soon as we have some adversity, here they come to bitch and moan. I’m not at all happy about the way the season ended – in fact, I am sick about it, but it happened, and trying to find someone to blame is pointless. To all of you who never bothered to put up a positive post when we were rolling, but are on here now bitching, PLEASE FIND ANOTHER TEAM TO ROOT FOR. I hear things are going quite well 70 miles to the west. Or you can become a dookie – you don’t even need to change colors in your wardrobe. Fans like this are the ones who give us a bad image.

• theWilkman
      8:57 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Yep, lots of new usernames popping up this week, and most of them are complete morons.

15. CatsfaninFL
    7:38 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Something else to think about… every one of these players saw what happened to Alex. Everyone thought he was gone after this year… junior year, ready to max out on a great team, graduating this spring then boom, ACL tear.

In the end you can all say what they “should do” but when you are faced with ‘should do’ or ‘I am one misstep away from a potentially career ending/deflating injury’ that decision becomes infinitely harder and one keyboard warriors like ourselves should probably shuttup and let them handle on their own. It’s only our fandom which pales in comparison to the fact they’re making a decision that will affect their entire livelihood and future.

• RealCatsFan
      12:12 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

Excellent point. And they also have Willie, Randle, and Nerlens as further examples of how delicate the situation can be.

16. Gitback Coach
    8:17 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

One title every 13-26 years? Hate to inject math onto a UK site and befuddle the masses, but BBN has 1 title in the past 17 seasons. One.

• catdaddyd
      11:55 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

I’m no math expert but, I count 3 titles since ’96. So 3 in the past 19 years, way to be very selective.

• theSkinny81
      12:18 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

Yup. Versus one in 26 years to the Tards down the road. It only took Pitino 13 years at the same “top-tier” program to finally get one.

17. EdC
    8:24 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

I hope for Willie that I am wrong but I am going to be really surprised if he goes top 10 after his terrible performance on the offensive boards in every game of the tournament except Hampton.

Essentially his only job on the offense end was to get rebounds and hopefully a few put backs. He was particularly bad in the biggest game of his life with 0 offensive rebounds while his opponent got 12 defensive rebounds. Any pro scout will have to ask and watch tape to see if he is fundamentally bad or just doesn’t try. When he is in the camps and getting no offensive boards his stock will have to drop. He had a big value in college by being able to guard any position. That just doesn’t matter in the pros. It’s kind of nice that he can but the reality is if he gets switched to the guards the pros are going to pound it into whoever has the mismatch on the post. He isn’t going to be getting any NBA minutes being a defensive guy who can’t get a single offensive rebound and can’t make post up baskets against players who look him in the eye.

• marcmaggard
      9:33 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

WCS couldn’t post up a 6’5 Major League Pitcher from Notre Dame.(THATS NOT A JOKE) Facts are Facts,I would stay far away if I was NBA GM.

18. theWilkman
    9:10 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

During the 38 game win streak, it was pretty boring in the comments section. However, I actually prefer that over the nonsense that’s getting posted now. Some of you are so off base, I’m concerned there’s been an escape from a mental hospital or correctional facility.

• American Errorist
      11:05 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

I agree about some going overboard with the negativity but come on man, If you can’t see losing 7 players off this team is a bad thing then maybe we have too many sycophants on this website.