UK Fan in Germany wants the Friday Morning Wakeup

CSekLI-UkAAV2tg

You’re looking at Lynda Clark, a diehard UK fan who repped the Cats all the way in Germany. Cheers, Lynda. I hope you enjoyed that picturesque little village behind you, where surely they drink pilsner out of steins, are very clean and polite, and have trains that always run on time. At least, that’s my experience with Germany. Cheers!

Let’s go over the agenda, because there’s a LOT happening today…

There’s a basketball game tonight

First things first. Tonight at 6 p.m., your Kentucky Wildcats will take on the Kentucky State…Googling, Googling…Thorobreds. Darnell Williams will bring his team into Rupp Arena for only the second meeting between the two schools. UK won the first meeting back on December 15, 2001 118-63. If I were a betting woman, I’d wager tonight’s game will have a similar outcome.

We’ll have coverage of the game tonight starting at 3:30 p.m. with the KSR Pregame Show. As we did on Monday, Drew and I will run comment threads for the first and second half in lieu of a live blog. We were pretty pleased with the feedback Monday, so join us for what will surely be an entertaining Friday night.

Harry Giles will announce his decision at noon

Yesterday was a busy day on the Giles front. We found out that Giles has a partial tear in the ACL of his right knee and will miss the rest of his senior season. Two years ago, Giles tore the ACL, MCL, and meniscus in his left knee, making this news especially cruel. With the bad news out of the way, Giles will announce his college decision today at noon on SportsCenter. If he doesn’t pick Duke, I’ll be shocked, but I guess stranger things have happened. Do yourself a favor and don’t get your hopes up.

Who knows what will happen at Georgia

If you think there’s tension around the UK football program, get in your car and head down I-75 to Athens, Georgia. Yesterday, there was DRAMA around the Georgia football program, with rumors that defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt was out and the boosters were coming after Mark Richt. USA Today reported that Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity actually wanted to fire Richt last season, but the school president overruled it. At one point, the word on Twitter was that Richt told Pruitt he was fired and Pruitt punched him in the face. Richt did his best to squelch the rumors by tweeting that Pruitt was still the defensive coordinator and was “in the office working diligently getting ready for Kentucky!” but he might as well have been tap dancing to distract people from what is clearly a sh*tstorm.

What will happen today when the Cats roll into town? Excellent question. If you’re an optimist, you hope that the mess at Georgia is so bad it transfers on to the field; if you’re a pessimist, you fear the team will rally together and somehow get things working just in time to roll the Cats. I’m a realist, so I’m going in to the weekend with low expectations hoping to be proved wrong.

UK will be without Boom, Darius West, and Joey Herrick

Last night, Mark Stoops confirmed those three players will be out, Boom with an elbow injury, West an ankle injury, and Herrick a bone bruise. With Boom out, Mikel Horton will shoulder the load for the Cats. He was one of the only bright spots from the loss to Tennessee, so here’s hoping that performance carries over.

Jarrett Allen starts his official visit

The early signing period starts next Wednesday, making this a huge weekend for recruiting. Five-star power forward Jarrett Allen will be on UK’s campus this weekend for an official visit, and Kentucky’s chances look pretty good right now. The 6’10” Texas native still has a list of eight schools and probably won’t sign until the spring, but ESPN and Hoopseen.com peg the Cats as the favorite in his recruitment. He’s a pretty quiet guy, so make him feel welcome at Rupp tonight, okay?

Devin Booker has custom ping pong paddles

Devin Booker’s got a pretty nice life right now. He’s playing for the Phoenix Suns with three other former Cats, he’s got money, and well, he’s Devin Booker. He’s also got quite the ping pong set up at his house, complete with framed #1 jerseys and custom ping pong paddles. I’m not sure why this picture amused me so much, but I like to think that Devin and his fellow Sun Cats get together to play ping pong and watch UK. It’s a nice dream, right?

The KSR Preps Game of the Week is Franklin County at John Hardin

The playoffs start this week, and our own Trey Huntsman will be in Elizabethtown to watch Franklin County take on John Hardin. In case you missed it, here are Trey’s previews of the playoffs:

Thoughts out to the family of Daniel Ellis

The Richmond police officer died early this morning after being shot in the head on Wednesday while investigating a robbery. The 33-year-old Ellis leaves behind his wife and a three-year-old son. This morning, dozens of officers joined the procession to escort his body from UK Hospital to Frankfort:

Procession in honor of Officer Daniel EllisWKYT viewer Chase Reynolds shared this video of the procession carrying Officer Daniel Ellis’s body to Frankfort. Dozens of officers took off from UK Hospital to pay tribute to their fallen comrade.

Posted by WKYT on Friday, November 6, 2015

Absolutely tragic.

KSR is at the McDonald’s in Paris

Come on out to 3999 Lexington Rd in Paris to see Matt and Ryan preview tonight’s game against Kentucky State, tomorrow’s game against Georgia, and everything in between.

29 Comments for UK Fan in Germany wants the Friday Morning Wakeup

1. secrick
    9:15 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

Is the game on tv tonight?

• ukjaybrat
      9:19 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

espnu

• BigBlue2U
      9:36 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

Thank God for WatchESPN & Roku!

• RealCatsFan
      10:00 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

I guess will give it another try with AppleTV and my DIRECTV account. Couldn’t get them to play well together last time.

• BigBlue2U
      10:18 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

That’s AppleTV for ya. Their “walled garden” approach to content makes it sometimes difficult to play with others. For what it’s worth, Roku is kinda like the Android of streaming. Plays well with others. You can get a free Roku device if you pay for 3 months of SlingTV, too. Might be worth looking into! 🙂

• Booby Petrino
      10:20 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

RealCatsFan if you have Direct TV why don’t you just watch it on ESPNU?

2. katsrock
    9:17 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

Only “thoughts” go out to the slain police officer’s family? That’s nice.
    Are you an atheist?
    My PRAYERS go out to his family and friends.

• ukjaybrat
      9:21 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

omg shut up

yes, it is ridiculous that our country has come to a place where we are persecuted for being religious, but when the other side of the battle persecutes people for NOT being religious, you people are just as bad, if not worse.

so shut up

• secrick
      9:24 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

katsrock, My prayers go out to the family and you don’t have to shut up. GO BIG BLUE.

• Booby Petrino
      9:30 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

It’s really none of your business if she’s religious or not. I’m a Christian and I’ll pray for them, but it’s not our place to shame others for any type of sympathy expressed.

• BigBlue2U
      9:36 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

I get the kind sentiment behind “thoughts,” but it’s always made me wonder: “What is a happy/positive thought supposed to do, exactly?”. Whether or not you believe in it, prayer is at least supposed to have a type of universal power to it. Last I checked “thoughts” don’t really do anything other than sit in your own brain, right?

• WyldStallyns
      9:44 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

katsrock, you are an embarrassment to the human race. A sports blog writer takes time to acknowledge a tragic local event and express sympathy and grief over the situation, but because it wasn’t done in the exact way you choose to express your emotions it is wrong and somehow offensive? Please do us all a favor and take time to reflect and reevaluate whatever you believe your faith to be about.

And, coming from an atheist, my thoughts go out to the family of this tragedy. This may be a shock to you, but one does not need to subscribe to your religious beliefs to have the ability to care for others.

• dcgirl
      9:49 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

Way to take a nice sentiment about someone who lost their life and make it all about you, your beliefs, and your bigotry toward those with other beliefs. Good job sir. Good job.

• WyldStallyns
      9:52 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

BigBlue2U, many people who are not of any religious belief feel the exact same way about “prayer” as you seem to feel about “thoughts.” In the end, I wish we could all focus on the fact that people from different backgrounds/beliefs/spirituality were recognizing a tragic situation and are doing the most human thing they knew to do: Outwardly express their care for another. You may do it through “prayer” and others may do it through “sending thoughts”, in the end it is semantics and the important thing here should be that we are able to put others ahead of us in a time of need. Instead we are fighting over the right and wrong way to feel. Horrible.

• RealCatsFan
      10:06 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

Thoughts, prayers, karma, positive energy – who cares what you want to call it, let’s all get on the same page and support the family of Officer Ellis. I personally think that prayers, thoughts – whatever you want to call it – have a huge impact for people in need. I think it has had a huge impact on me and many friends and family when in tough situations. I commend Tyler for expressing what needs to be expressed – and for working hard to bring us something interesting to read on this free site. There seem to be a lot of detractors coming out of the woodwork to b!tch about her writing, yet you keep on reading it, don’t you?

• ClutchCargo
      10:10 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

katsrock and WyldStallyns need to get over themselves. Nobody cares what you believe or don’t believe, it’s not about you.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:11 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

Who cares if she is an atheist? (Besides you…) a feeling of sympathy was expressed. There is no more healing power involved from equally positive intentions regardless of whether one invokes God, Jehovah, Allah, Budha, Shiva, Jupiter, Aphrodite or Apollo. (Apologies for leaving out the literally thousands of deities mankind has worshipped throughout history.)

My full sympathy goes out to the family and all officers. Please express your condolences in any way that will honor the fallen and is consistent with your beliefs.

• BigBlue2U
      10:15 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

WyldStallyns, I hear ya. Not at all shouting down your views, it’s just that I don’t think any belief thinks that a positive thought somehow comforts those grieving. Admittedly this is semantics – which are sometimes important – but I think to say our “sympathies” are with the grieved would be more indicative of the sentiment than thoughts. My point was that many believe prayer has supernatural influence, and I’m not sure anyone thinks the same of a “thought”. Either way, much respect and Go Big Blue!

• chimichanga
      11:21 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

BigBlue2U if you want to get technical, a prayer IS a thought. A better term might be “moment of reflection”, but its just easier to say thoughts.

Having said that, my thoughts go out to Ellis and his family.

3. anrbob
    9:52 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

So what if she is an Atheist. So what if she is a Christian. So what if she is a Buddhist. So what if she is a Catholic. Whats it to you? What gives you the right to demand indoctrination into anything, particularity YOUR belief system? This is sickening – shaming/judging others while gloating in your own self righteousness.

• BigBlue2U
      10:23 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

katsrock was indeed self-righteous (not a good look), but I’m not sure there was an indoctrination demand there? Let’s all put down the pitchforks and righteous indignation for a minute. Your response will only fuel the fire.

• anrbob
      10:49 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

I get what you’re saying BigBlue2U. Just personal experience and my assumptions.

4. dalematt88
    10:08 am November 6, 2015 Permalink

Your 2a link leads to the 1a review

5. katsrock
    12:35 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Unlike prayers, thoughts don’t ‘go out’.

Unless Mrs Thompson knows of any family member or friend who reads minds, her “thoughts” haven’t gone “out”. She merely expressed them.

She has taken a common phrase ‘Thoughts and prayers…’ or just ‘Prayers…’ and reduced it to a nonsensical statement.

Either she is either ignorant of the common phrase or she purposefully censored the word ‘prayer’, one can assume, so as not offend any God-deniers.

I assume it is the latter and was an attempt at political correctness. Her attempt only made her look foolish.

• Booby Petrino
      1:03 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

You still don’t get it. Looks to be like her thought did indeed go out…on a website for anyone who wants to see it. If it had been kept inside, none of us would know this thought. But we all know it bc we’re here bickering with you about it. So yes, clearly it went out. You are the only one who looks foolish here, and there are numerous comments above that state why. “Ignorant of the common phrase”…how about she just made her own statement, she doesn’t have to use some old phrase. And again, if she’s an atheist it would be her right and none of your business. I’ll say a prayer for you to stop being so judgmental. I’ll also send a thought out about it.

6. nybrasky
    1:33 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

Looks to me like Devin Booker has a label maker.

7. Texas Cat
    2:59 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

@katsrock, you are a deplorable human being. You and none of us have any insight into TT’s religion. She takes the time to express sympathies for the officer’s murder and you JUDGE her for how she did it. So very Christian of you! While I believe it is not Christian at all, too many so called Christians do nothing but judge others these days.

Look in the mirror and examine the tenents of your faith.

Seriously, people like you can be so frustrating.

8. inside info2
    4:19 pm November 6, 2015 Permalink

LOL and I thought (sorry Christian fascists — would you rather me say “prayed” here?) the political debates were bad. Way to go MRS TT on this new flame war!

My thoughts go out to the slain officer and his family. By stating that my thoughts go out, I hope that the family finds comfort that others are feeling sympathy for this tragedy. Which I’m going to guess was Mrs. TT’s intention also.