UK fan battling cancer gets to live his dream in the Bahamas

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 3.36.50 PM

Earlier in the week, you might have seen an unfamiliar face on the end of the UK bench. Patrick Wren, a 57-year-old UK fan battling cancer, got the surprise of a lifetime when his wife gave him a trip to watch the Cats play in the Bahamas, and fortune smiled upon him when he won the chance to be an honorary assistant coach for one of the games. Kyle Tucker has an excellent story about Wren and his sons (the ones sitting at the top of the stands with Cal and Tony Barbee on Monday), in which Wren describes the “incredible” experience. Wren even asked Calipari about the Cleveland Cavaliers job, and his response will make you pretty happy. “He said he had no intention of ever going there, and I said, ‘Love you, man.’ He gave me a big hug. It was just an incredible experience.”

Definitely go check it out. Between this and the players volunteering for Samaritan’s Feet, I feel a little better about society today. (I’m sure the comments section will drag me back down in a bit.)

[Kentucky fan gets a Big Blue lift in Bahamas]

12 Comments for UK fan battling cancer gets to live his dream in the Bahamas

1. ukstu96
    8:36 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Awesome story and even more awesome how our Cats are as people let alone players! They actually are humbled by the washing of these less fortunate kids feet. I really cant say enough about our basketball Cats as true genuine people. Awesome!! Go Big Blue!!

2. jpbky2
    8:38 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Coach Cal realizes as the Kentucky basketball coach, he has an unbelievable platform. The fact that he uses that platform to help other people and also make sure our players know that platform is great. We have been very good on the court since Coach Cal arrived in Lexington, but we have great players representing the Kentucky basketball legacy as well.

3. The Governor
    8:48 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Keep it classy for once you retards.

• The Governor
      8:49 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

The comments section, I mean. The post and this story is obviously top notch.

4. wolfcreekbrian
    8:53 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

praying nothing but good things for this family

5. Helen
    8:59 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Tyler….enjoy the Bahamas!!!!! Have a blast!!!!

Like your JPEG about not caring tonight:)

6. Troll
    9:02 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Nice play ms Tyler. Let’s run down the commenters so if anything negative is said about your articles you can say “I told ya so”. Well back at ya….KSR is full of insightful articles except those coming from ms Tyler! We all know your sex had nothing to do with you getting this job since you were such a heralded athlete. Back to the article….great job Cal and the gang

7. Bubba Earl
    9:08 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Keep fightin’ the good fight Pat, I graduated High School with him, always has been a class act.

8. MikeUKFan
    10:41 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Prayers to my fellow BBN member. Great Story!!

9. jw
    12:03 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

Would KSR like to admit they were wrong about Cal leaving for cleveland next year?