UK Basketball to add an alternate gray jersey this season, per report

Fans have been screaming for new Kentucky basketball uniforms, and they could get their wish in 2020-21. The website InsideHook reached out to 357 schools to ask about any uniform design changes, and Kentucky’s folks said the Wildcats will introduce a new gray alternate.

It will have the same checkerboard side panels, per InsideHook’s scoops:

Kentucky
No visuals yet, but a team rep says the Wildcats will introduce a new gray alternate at some point this season. It will have the same basic design as the team’s primary home and road uniforms — same lettering, same trim, same checkerboard side panels.

Meanwhile, Rupp Arena has been rebranded as Rupp Arena at Central Bank Center (really rolls right off the tongue, doesn’t it?). As a result, logos with the new branding — big, blue boxes that look as awkward as the new arena name sounds — have been placed over the old “Rupp Arena” logos on school’s court. [InsideHook]

Kentucky’s checkerboard uniforms have been an ongoing complaint from much of the fan base since they were introduced back in 2016. Those fans will now get their wish, a new alternate uniform at some point in the upcoming season.

BBN, your thoughts?

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for UK Basketball to add an alternate gray jersey this season, per report

1. BlueTXHeart
    11:10 am November 23, 2020 Permalink

I’ll take the gray over the blue-and-white checkerboard any day….

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:05 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Read it again. It says the grays will have the checkerboard too.

• 2andToodleLoo
      2:02 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Ooooooh. Gray. So crazy.

2. UKFanSC
    11:12 am November 23, 2020 Permalink

Just so the African Studies buffoons don’t eliminate “Rupp” from the building I’m good ……

• Wade
      11:26 am November 23, 2020 Permalink

How about a throwback. I mean historically speaking were pretty damn good. Can’t we pay homage to some of the great yr/decade teams that won championships or just have some fun with the denims once. Go cats!

• UKFanSC
      11:46 am November 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m for that. Sure. Good fun

3. BLUEVADER
    11:17 am November 23, 2020 Permalink

The leftist libs snowflakes didn’t get their way about RUPP! THANK GOD!! To many snowflakes that get offended over spilt milk!! Im sure we will hear them while about it this season. They want yo destroy monuments and try to erase names from history. Sorry it don’t work like that. The past is past and it cannot be changed. To much dwelling on stuff that cannot be changed is a sign of weak minded individuals.

• Condo1122
      11:34 am November 23, 2020 Permalink

That was painful to try to decipher

• claiborne_field
      1:29 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

What does your rant have to do with gray uniforms?

• FloridaCat88
      2:19 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

It’s hard to make an intelligent point when your grammar is that bad. Just some friendly advice for your next rant.

• UKFanSC
      4:45 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

We all understood him…..

• IndianaSucks
      5:48 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

I first read that as “split” milk…I thought wow that must be a very difficult task. And then I lost interest and moved on…

4. Keets
    11:34 am November 23, 2020 Permalink

@75toRupp on Twitter needs to be consulted on uniform matters, his mock ups are the direction we need to go.

5. nocode96
    11:43 am November 23, 2020 Permalink

Did no one read what the rep said? It says the gray uniforms will have the “same checkerboard side patterns”. All I missing something?

6. jaws2
    12:08 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Gray = Stupid. Any thing other than school colors = Stupid. The ‘Greatest Tradition in Basketball’ = no tradition. Tradition means nothing. Welcome to the Great Reset.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:16 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Well I can see from that pic that not everyone hates the checks. lol

As I’ve said before, I don’t hate them, but the belief seems to be (on KSR’s part anyway) that the players don’t like them. If that is true, it affects recruiting. If you don’t believe that, you’re not up on how important this stuff is to teens (just think about whatever the hot clothing items, or other items, were when you were a teen). A lot of fans don’t like them. Maybe that’s a vocal minority of fans though, I don’t know. However, I have heard ZILCH from Barnhart or anyone else that shows that most fans like the checks. If a majority of the fans like them, I would have thought UK and/or Nike would have some market research to back that up so they can show the data and politely say “Hush”. If the majority of the fans don’t like them, I would think they know that too from research, and that they would dump them.

Sorry if that’s convoluted, but in a nutshell I don’t understand why Mitch gets so prickly about the checks. If you have data that shows it has increased gear sales, say so. However, if all you can say is it hasn’t HURT gear sales, I would think that would be a negative.

Just my 2 cents, which is all it’s worth.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:21 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Just one more thought on Barnhart I forgot to add to paragraph 2: he gets prickly when asked about the checks, but again, I have never heard him defend them with data about gear sales, etc. If he has I missed it. I just don’t understand the obstinance. One would think that Nike and UK both would want to dump them if it would increase merchandising.

• claiborne_field
      1:32 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Gray is better than black

• claiborne_field
      1:33 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Whoops, replied on the wrong post. My bad.

8. Bluehender
    12:39 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like the checkerboards either, but at least they are BLUE and WHITE. No to the gray!!..Go Big BLUE!!!

9. You Can Call Me Cal
    1:15 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Throwbacks = yes. Gray = no

10. ClutchCargo
    1:50 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

I dispute the statement that “much of the fan base” cares much about the uniforms. If you live on this site and Twitter, I can see how someone might think that. But I interact with a lot of UK fans in real life, and never once have I heard a strong opinion about checkerboards on uniforms.

11. peaches76
    2:04 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

If we are a top school why did we let Nike dictate our mascot and overhaul of uniforms? What other top school lost their traditional mascot/unis? Just asking

12. serdi
    3:18 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Thanks to Luther Deaton saved the Rupp name by having Central Bank take the naming rights. As much as I do not think the solid blue rectangles are sharp looking, it is a small price to pay for keeping Rupp in the name.

• UKFanSC
      5:09 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Amen

13. IndianaSucks
    5:45 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

At least Drew knows how to spell gray…A for America and E for England aka the dreaded red coats!