UK basketball one of 8 BCS programs to earn a 3.0 GPA or higher

bob-knight-chair

For the second season in a row, UK Basketball was honored by the National Association of Basketball Coaches for team academic excellence. UK was one of eight BCS programs with a cumulative team grade-point average of 3.0 or better for the 2013-2014 season. The Cats posted a 3.11 cumulative GPA, making it six out of seven semesters UK’s team has had a GPA of 3.0 or better.

Tod Lanter, Sam Malone and Jarrod Polson were named to the NABC Honors Court, and Malone was the recipient of the Elite 89 award at the 2014 Final Four, which honors the student athlete with the highest cumulative GPA participating in the Final Four. Nine Cats made various SEC honor rolls this season, including Dominique Hawkins, Dakari Johnson, Lanter, Marcus Lee, Brian Long, Malone, Polson, Alex Poythress and Derek Willis.

19 Comments for UK basketball one of 8 BCS programs to earn a 3.0 GPA or higher

1. greginky
    1:08 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

And what burns me up the most about this subject is that Georgetown has an 8% graduation rate. Can you imagine if that had been us with an 8% graduation rate just how much the national media would have been all over that. I realize though that a lot of that graduation rate was the result of the previous regime and coaching staff there, but still, we would have never heard the end of it.

• ChicagoCat
      1:14 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

The 8% belonged to UConn not Georgetown.

• greginky
      1:20 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

Thanks, sorry, I had a brain fart

• J-Dub421
      2:59 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

So very true! Shabazz Napier is a very good player, but it really annoyed me when he went on his little tirade after the title game this year about “this is what happens when you ban us!! Hungry Huskies!!” UCONN got banned from the post-season for poor academic performance. You got yourself banned Napier, quit whining about it.

2. Bobby Knight
    1:10 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

Well crap, I told everyone these kids don’t go to class

3. Bobby Knight
    1:21 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

Well… what you have here (hiccup) is that these kids really …uh… in the class… I know that ain’t what it is but (hiccup) that cant be… damn it… (hiccup) Where am I?

4. Catlanta
    1:27 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

I just spent a good two minutes watching that GIF.

5. STOOPS TROOPS
    1:27 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

EAT IT TROLLS

6. Well...
    1:56 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

Who are the other 7 programs?

7. Hood For Three
    2:02 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

Mrs. TT. Who were the other seven, and was N.Carolina one of them? If not, does that make the whole scandal involving their African American studies classes look even more ridiculous?

8. Easy"E"
    2:37 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

Gang, You’re just going to have to get over the fact that everyone wants UK to Fail or get caught or do something subpar. That’s our country! Media has to create stories and/ or go after well know people orginizations to sell themselves, I mean their format. Who cares about UCONN or Middle Tenn’ state or who ever. But UK – Basketball or Ohio State Football etc…

It only means we’re at the top again. Just enjoy it because it will not last forever.

Go Cats.

P.S. Please back off coach Cal’ this year and he may stay longer. It’s the effing fans that almost drove him away.

9. UKfan
    2:52 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

Maybe Puerto Rico will have some success and have Booby extradited. Still not certain how you can attack a police officer and get by with it, but IU let that kind of crap happen for years.

10. SoCalCat
    3:22 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

I was in grad school at Purdue when this occurred. To say the Purdue students I was with were stunned is an understatement 🙂 .

11. Won't B Long
    5:25 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

Get your ish together Brian Long…

• Won't B Long
      5:26 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

we need him on the Honors Court, not just honor roll.

12. Cat dog
    5:40 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

GPA exceeds combined ppg.
    Impressive.

13. Tom Crean
    5:45 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

It still incenses me to see that son of a female dog in heat disrespecting the court floor of his OWN arena, the players, refs, and the IU fans.

What a complete ass whole.

14. JRock1966
    9:19 pm July 23, 2014 Permalink

I think I might be missing something here…what does Bobby Knight throwing a chair have to do with 8 programs earning a GPA of 3.0 or higher?

15. Wildcat Jack
    9:31 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Is this video on an endless loop?
    It looks like Bobby has thrown about 14 chairs out there, so far…