UK also up to #4 in the Coaches Poll

16177754_1410033715696704_3921113785939385869_o

The Cats are now the consensus number four team in the country, moving up a spot in both the AP and Coaches Poll. The new Coaches Poll just hit the net and Kentucky is fourth behind Kansas, Villanova, and Gonzaga. So, if you prefer this poll to the AP poll, Kentucky will face the #1 team in the country on Saturday.

Here are both polls side-by-side:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 12.01.34 PM

So…I guess Gonzaga is legit?

7 Comments for UK also up to #4 in the Coaches Poll

1. KSR Spy
    1:44 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

If you have watched Gonzaga play several times this year, you’ll know they are not legit.

Don’t get me wrong, Gonzaga is a good team this year. Definitely top 15 team. They have enough offense to beat people, but their defense isn’t anything to write home about, especially if they had to play top athletic teams (per the usual).

Gonzaga is by no means a top 5 team. Could they beat one of the top teams, yes, totally possible. If said team shot poorly and Gonzaga played moderately well. But if they played Kentucky, UCLA, Nova, UNC, Arizona, Oregon, Florida State, etc on a remotely good shooting night, they wouldn’t have the Defense to stop them and not enough horses on offense to outscore a good team.

• J-Dub421
      3:46 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

On the whole I agree with you, but Gonzaga did beat Arizona this season.

• Catsby80
      3:57 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub… I’m pretty sure Arizona was without that Trier kid for that game. Did you see what Arizona did with him on the court against UCLA? Totally different team. I tend to agree with KSR Spy here. We keep getting force fed Gonzaga every year and every year they continue to fall short of a final four. I’m to the point now that I’ll believe it when I see it with them.

• KSR Spy
      4:13 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Yes, J-Dub. That’s kind of two fold. Arizona was garbage at the beginning of the year. They have gotten a LOT better. I’ve seen them play several times, Adding the Trier kid just puts them on another level. If you remember, they barely beat Mich St at the beginning of the year on a last second shot as well. Night and day difference. Yes, Gonzaga has gotten better, but nowhere close to the level that Zona has.

Between their notable improvement and adding Trier, Gonzaga wouldn’t be able to touch Arizona right now, unless Zona just had a horrible shooting night.

• J-Dub421
      4:29 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

I haven’t watched any Arizona games because they are another team that everyone hypes during the season, that loses early in the tournament more often than not. Also, I agreed with you in the first place. You don’t have to convince me that Gonzaga is overrated. They very likely would not beat Arizona if they played again, but that doesn’t change the fact that they beat them earlier this season. Gonzaga has zero control over who plays for Arizona on any given night.

Mich St. has looked like hot garbage most of this season, but it wouldn’t completely shock me if they pulled it together by the end of the season. Izzo has done it before. (I don’t think that it will happen this season, but crazier things have happened.)

2. TBW3011
    3:29 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

UK, UNC, UCLA, KU. I’ll stop, but that’s 4 teams that would beat the brakes off of Gonzaga. Give me a break.

3. catsarerunnin
    3:38 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

It’s the same old story every year. Mark Few REALLY has a FF team THIS season…yada yada yada.