UCLA hitting 46 percent from three, so there’s that

I think Kentucky will be just fine on Saturday when UCLA comes to town, but there are some concerns if the Bruins were to get hot. Just ask the players from UC Riverside, who watched UCLA’s Isaac Hamilton hit seven three-pointers in his team’s 42-point win last night.

On the year, UCLA is connecting on 45.6 percent of its 193 attempts from deep. That percentage ranks second in college basketball; the 88 made ranks fourth overall. On average, the Bruins hit 11 three-balls each game, which is pretty damn good.

Needless to say, Saturday’s game may come down to whether or not UCLA can get hot in Rupp Arena, and if Kentucky defends the three well. Coach Cal has been stressing three-point defense to his team since Day 1, and it’ll certainly be a hot topic in practices and UCLA prep this week.

Stop the three.

Beat UCLA.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for UCLA hitting 46 percent from three, so there’s that

1. Dusten
    10:39 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

I think your number for 3 pointers attempted is off

2. Dusten
    10:41 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

Ahh, 193. That’s a lotta 3’s

3. Bluebloodtoo
    10:42 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

What was the average size of the guards on the opposing teams? They, like UK, haven’t really played any premier teams.

Not saying there’s no concern, but I don’t know that I would expect their season averages to play out the same against UK.

4. Duff86
    10:46 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

UCLA is going to go off from three, just be prepared for it. I would really like to see KY press the hell out of them. We have the speed to do it and I don’t think that is something UCLA will be ready for.

5. Bluebros
    12:07 pm December 1, 2016 Permalink

I’m not worried. The rest of college basketball is just playing in slow motion. I watched about 10 mins of the UCLA game last night and no question they’re a good team but not nearly fast enough. I’m just not worried. Worst case, we lose a game or two in December, (not likely) but the progression of this team is going to be crazy! Can’t imagine Fox, Monk & Bam come March. So bring on the Bruins and their 3 balls and we’ll see if they can keep up.

6. RealCatsFan
    1:03 pm December 1, 2016 Permalink

Let’s try locking down the perimeter and see if they can beat us inside. I have a feeling that Mr. Willis, Gabriel, Adebayo, and Humphries will say NO.

7. Aar
    3:03 pm December 1, 2016 Permalink

I suspect home court advantage will help UK get deeper into UCLA’s bench than they have gone all season and that will make the difference.

On speed of play, I agree that UCLA’s not outright as quick as UK but they get straight into their offense, run really good action, quickly create a mismatch and get up a really good shot. More often than not, the first mismatch is a 3 then they do a good job finding a better look inside the arc or putting up the 3. Just like the post concludes – better guard the three! As Cal says, make them take tough twos.

From what I watched of UCLA, I don’t think they have an answer for UK’s outright speed, outlet passes, lobs nor depth. Alford’s a good coach and might build a good game plan. That’s why they play the games. Gonna be fun to watch.

For those who think UK hasn’t been tested, even injured and shorthanded, a Tom Izzo coached MSU is no cupcake and ASU is a valid mid-major. That this UK team bulldozed both should not be overlooked. These guys don’t just have a will to win, they have a rabid aggression and hunger that the Boogie-Wall, Davis-MKG and KAT-Willie teams had. I love watching this team.

8. A_Blue_Wildcat
    4:06 pm December 1, 2016 Permalink

This will definitely be UKs toughest test so far. UCLA has one of the best offenses in the country and might be the best offense UK plays all season. They clearly shoot the ball lights out and have 5 different guys who are great shooters, but they also move the ball better than any team I’ve seen all year. TJ Leaf and Lonzo Ball are the real deal and I expect both of them to have great games regardless of our defense, however, it’s their first real road game of the season and first time playing against a tough team (A&M and Nebraska aren’t that great) and I could easily see them getting in foul trouble. Lonzo Ball has gotten into foul trouble in a couple games this season and when he goes out Ucla looks noticeably worse, so getting him into foul trouble will be key. It will be a fun high-scoring game, but I think Kentuckys defense and depth will overwhelm Ucla in the end. Kentucky-105 Ucla-93.

9. Sublem
    4:46 pm December 1, 2016 Permalink

Watch UK guard the 3 extra well this game

10. J-Dub421
    5:47 pm December 1, 2016 Permalink

I’m pretty sure our defense is better than UC Riverside’s, just sayin’.