Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Tywanna Patterson, one of the most beloved of all UK basketball mothers, was a special guest on this morning’s The Leach Report with Larry Vaught filling in for Tom Leach as the show’s host. Mama Patterson had a lot to say about her son, Patrick Patterson, playing for another Wildcat alum, Dwane Casey, with the Raptors in Toronto.

The conversation then turned toward Patrick’s recruitment and Billy Gillispie, who coached Patrick in his first two seasons in Lexington. She shared a story of Gillispie forcing Patrick to continue running with blood coming through his shoes, and then she opened up about meeting with Gillispie after a game, which led to meeting with Mitch Barnhart about Gillispie.

Really candid stuff here:

I did call a meeting with Coach Gillispie, and my husband and I were in the meeting with him and another assistant — we had just lost a game because he changed it up at the very last minute and I was like, ‘Why did you do that? We were winning. We were winning.’ He was like, ‘Well if I had to do it all over again, I would do the same thing.’

He was very trite and very — kind of like mean — and I just lost it. I said some not-so-nice things to him and my husband let me say what I had to say. He was like, ‘Buster are you going to let your wife talk to me this way?’ (Buster) was like, ‘That’s between you and my wife. She has the right to speak her mind. You don’t want to hear from me.’

So, one thing led to another, and after that moment, that’s when I realized I had lost respect for him as a coach. Things started happening and happening, and I’m like, I can’t have my son on this team with this man. But I didn’t want him to sit out a year, and he decided to stick it out. But I’m like, after this is over, this can’t happen. So I went to Barnhart and told him some things and he was like, ‘Not to worry, not to worry. Just wait until this season is over. Hang in there.’ And I told him what was happening to some of the other players, because I was in touch with the moms, and they didn’t want to say anything; they came to me, I guess because I’m outspoken. But I’m like, this has to change. This is not working. So, and it did. Thank God it did.”

Listen to the entire interview between Tywanna and Larry Vaught in the show’s podcast below. Tywanna comes in about halfway through the show, after another good interview with Paul Karem.

Article written by Drew Franklin

48 Comments for Tywanna Patterson tells story of meeting with Billy Gillispie and Mitch Barnhart

1. Sentient Third Eye
    11:28 am July 12, 2016 Permalink

We should hang a Tywanna Patterson jersey in the rafters for her role in ending the BIlly G era.

2. Ben27
    11:39 am July 12, 2016 Permalink

How did we ever hire Billy. This really shows the failure with hiring services. All the information on Billy, was available with just a little research. Schools need to do their own investigations to prevent situations like this from occurring. Maybe a law suit, would bring about changes!

3. UK1983
    11:56 am July 12, 2016 Permalink

i can’t imagine a situation where a mother had access to a coach to complain about his coaching decisions. Treatment of her son – yes. discussing coaching strategy ? Really? Wow.
    seems a little much.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:17 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Those were very unusual times, though. Normal standards can’t be used to judge that time.

12:37 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Yet everyone on here criticizes Cal’s coaching…..

• leon singleton
      12:56 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

The fool could not coach.

4. jkmann1
    12:32 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

I love that he had the audacity to basically say ‘rein in your woman.’ Hooooly crap. I’d be ready to punch somebody if they disrespected my wife in front of me like that.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:41 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Any married man knows that when the wifey goes into pitbull mode, it’s better to just sit quietly and be thankful that it’s somebody else on the receiving end this time!

5. 2thepoint
    12:57 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

The Patterson family were/are great supporters of UK. Their son meant so much to them and this program going forward as a recruit. Special parents, special mother, special player at a time of a very low point in UK. With that said, why would you single out the word “mother” when talking about a parent having access to a coach. It happens all the time with both father and mother. She has as much right to access a coach as the father.

Patrick is one of my all time favorite players. He has always represented the program flawlessly. I hope one day he comes back to live in Lexington and be an integral part of the program at UK.

• ibescootch
      3:01 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

I’m just guessing here, but “mother” was probably used because Tywanna is Patrick’s freaking mother. Why is it even something to get butt hurt over when someone uses a label, such as mother, to describe a person?! I highly doubt uk1983 was singling out the mother’s role as different (or as you want to read it) lesser, than a father’s.

Why did you single out their son as someone who meant so much to them? Are you implying other players didn’t mean anything to them? Why did you single out Tywanna as a special mother? We’re the other mothers not special? Are not all mothers special?!

This modern attitude of evening offended over everything, even for other people, is completely moronic. Sorry, don’t get offended.

6. GroundControlToNumber9
    1:01 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Shows how strong the Patterson’s really are.

Also think about how long it took for this story to come out… the resolve, patience, and respect in them looks like mountain tops.

What a bungle by Mitch Barnhart.

1:05 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Feel better now?

• Elwood BLU
      1:23 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Your daily campaign against Barnhart is laughable.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      3:03 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Date: 07/12/2016 1:24pm

Emergency Internal UK Athletic Department Memo:

“Everyone… go check ‘Like it” on Elwood BLU’s comment on the KSR Patterson thread before leaving for work today! You want to keep your job don’t you?
      – Mitch”

• GroundControlToNumber9
      3:06 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

It’s obvious a directive since it got more likes than Sentient Third Eye’s post (the 1st one) that would clearly be the top liked post without this cover up Athletic Director in charge.

4:13 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Quite the conspiracy theory. LMAO

• J-Dub421
      4:14 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

No, Elwood Blu’s post was “liked” because many are tired of your daily rants against Mitch Barnhart. You hate him, we get. No need to continuously repeat yourself.

• theWilkman
      10:42 am July 13, 2016 Permalink

I liked the comment because I, like most sane fans, recognize the outstanding job Mitch has done for the athletics program as a whole.

7. Han
    1:09 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

His feet bled? Guess he wasn’t tough enough. Needed more Pop Tarts.

8. inside info2
    1:14 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Patrick liked BCG better than Coach Cal. Drew probably knows this.

1:29 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

I mean, obviously.

1:39 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Jesus Christ, dude…….

• J-Dub421
      1:41 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

There is no way Patrick like BCG better than Cal. He was going to leave UK if they didn’t get rid of BCG according to his mother, and credits Cal with helping him get to the NBA. You’re just being ridiculous now Inside.

1:42 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

I seriously think he throws shit against the wall to see what sticks….

• J-Dub421
      1:48 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

*liked, sorry about the typo.

• inside info2
      2:00 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

JDub, nowhere in the article did it say that Patrick wanted to leave the team. It said that his mother wanted him to leave the team.

I guarantee you that Patrick liked BCG better than Cal. I was shocked too.

2:12 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

“I didn’t want him to sit out a year, and he decided to stick it out.

Sounds like he was seriously contemplating leaving that coach he adored so much.

• J-Dub421
      2:19 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

You guarantee it? How? How can you possibly guarantee that? Please provide some credible proof, and not your usual brand of “I know a guy who would know” BS.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:00 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Exactly! That is why Mrs. Patterson went on The Leach Report today, to say how much her son hated playing for Cal .
      …Oh, wait…

• JoChan
      8:13 am July 15, 2016 Permalink

This is ridiculous. My brother was attending UK and lived next door to Patterson and another player during one of Gillespie’s years and not only Patterson, but none of the players could stand Billy Clyde. That came straight from Patrick’s mouth so whatever you heard is just false!! Yes, I can’t prove that since it I had no reason to record it, but it was straight from his mouth and I think he would know who he liked or disliked better.

9. inside info2
    1:20 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

i have heard that Robic only signs one year contracts instead of the standard two years. Each year he says is his last. I was told that he and Cal don’t really get along, they only have a professional relationship, but they both know what they have is a good thing.

• runningunnin.454
      1:29 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Really worried about your mental well-being…..get a cat scan.

• inside info2
      1:31 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

One year contract.

Please UK Big Board, stop trying to troll.

• inside info2
      1:32 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

I don’t post anything relating to coaches or players that I haven’t heard from someone that would know. That doesn’t mean that it is guaranteed to be correct. But I’m not making stuff up.

• J-Dub421
      1:38 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

That isn’t UKBBU. But you’re still the one who posted that same stupid comment 6 times over the past few days. I really don’t care if Robic chooses to sign one year contracts. He’s a grown man and can do what he wants. Maybe he feels like he gets more frequent raises that way. However, I’m not buying that Robic and Cal don’t get along. Robic has plenty of experience and a very good reputation. He could go be an assistant anywhere. No one would follow a coach from state to state and job to job if they didn’t like each other.

1:39 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t post that, you did.

And, nowhere in that link does it say that Cal and Robic don’t get along.

That must be why Robic served as an assistant for 11 years at UMass for both John Calipari and Bruiser Flint. Robic then became head coach for the Youngstown State University men’s basketball team from 1999-2005, only to LEAVE AND JOIN CAL AT MEMPHIS, where he’s been his assistant ever since.

“That doesn’t mean that it is guaranteed to be correct. But I’m not making stuff up.” STE is right, you need a cat scan.

Here’s a hint: if you can’t guarantee it to be correct, don’t say it.

1:41 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

When Cal talks about ‘clutter’, he’s also referring to people like you. Quit with the unsubstantiated rumors that you heard from a dude that heard from a dude.

10. inside info2
    1:56 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

I posted it originally but you are the one that posts it under my name every time I make a post now.

I have several friends inside the program. I hear stuff all the time.

2:03 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

No, you don’t. You’re unlikable as shit on here. You can’t convince me people around the UK program like you and tell you anything. Nice try.

• inside info2
      2:19 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

That is the pot calling the kettle black. Anyone that doesn’t agree with your opinion you constantly troll and berate. I’m unlikeable on here because I don’t wear blue tinted glasses 24/7. You’re unlikeable on here because you are a small minded human being who can’t stand someone who doesn’t agree with them.

• J-Dub421
      2:23 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

He know’s a coach’s dog walker’s sister-in-law’s cousin’s friend’s step-brother!

2:26 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

No, I just call out people who say stupid shit. Like you.

2:31 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

“’m unlikeable on here because I don’t wear blue tinted glasses 24/7.”

Again, why would ANYONE closely involved with UK athletics tell you ANYTHING? And you’re referring to Patterson who graduated 6 years ago – are you still in school, or are you some old man who lingers around the campus/college kids? I’m so confused now.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:53 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

No, inside. You are not liked because you are a miserable piece of feces. Ad hominem is not inappropriate when the statement is verifiable fact. I have several friends in and not-in the program that have verified that you are, actually and literally, a pile of mamallian waste material.

• theWilkman
      10:47 am July 13, 2016 Permalink

The overall amount of ridiculous drivel you post, inside info2, tells me you either constantly lie, or your “friends” are not as good of friends as you suspect. I lean to believing the former, as your persona on KSR is not one that I could see having any friends, let alone “several”

11. Memphis UK Cat
    2:41 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Wow there are some real dumb a$$ out there. Robic, Cal and World Wide Wes are tight. Robic could leave to coach somewhere else if he wanted to but that is a tight group that does well. I agree Paterson is among one of my favorites and a class guy.

12. spookykim
    8:24 pm July 12, 2016 Permalink

Patrick & his family are really shining stars of the program & we were lucky to have them. #BBN4life

• CATandMONKEY