TyTy Washington on Kentucky: “It’s the best of the best”

GettyImages-TyTyWashington
(Photo by Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

GettyImages-TyTyWashington

(Photo by Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

On Saturday, 2021 four-star point guard TyTy Washington cut his list of schools to six: Arizona, Baylor, Kansas, Kentucky, LSU, and Oregon. Yesterday, the former Creighton commit broke down each program with Jason Jordan, starting with your Kentucky Wildcats.

It’s Kentucky, and it’s the best of the best. When you go there you have to prove yourself, and I’m the kind of player who loves the bet on myself. That’s just how I was raised. I love their style of play; Coach Cal gives his players opportunities and space and freedom to play your game.”

Those comments are very encouraging, but Washington spoke highly of all the schools on his list, specifically Arizona, which is only an hour and a half from his hometown of Chandler, Az.

“I speak to Coach Tommy Lloyd at least twice a day on FaceTime. He’s really coming hard and letting me know that he wants me to come there and be the point guard. He’s really passionate. Just seeing how they ran the offense at Gonzaga and how free flowing it was is attractive to me. I love the way he used Jalen Suggs because me and Jalen have a lot of similarities in our games.”

Hmm. Yesterday, ESPN’s Jonathan Givony included Washington in his 2022 NBA mock draft as the No. 13 pick. He was the only potential (or current) Kentucky Wildcat in the projections. If you want more positive vibes about Kentucky’s chances, check out Jack’s interview with Washington’s AZ Compass Prep head coach, Ed Gipson, from last week.

“It was a great Zoom, Coach Cal was straight forward. I think TyTy expressed what he was looking for, and I think Coach Cal, Coach Lucas, Coach Flint, the entire staff, it was straight forward,” Gipson told KSR. “They told him what it was and that’s all you can ask for, honesty. I felt like it went well, and I felt TyTy and the family felt like it went well, too.”

As for a timetable, Washington said he hopes to make a decision “around the end of the month.” So, possibly next week. Don’t geek.

[SI All-American]

9 Comments for TyTy Washington on Kentucky: “It’s the best of the best”

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    10:24 am April 21, 2021 Permalink

I wish we knew more of scenarios like if this guy comes this guy won’t, etc. I’m having a hard time seeing how Washington, Mintz, Carr could all be on next years team but it seems like two could be.

2. Bluehender
    11:09 am April 21, 2021 Permalink

TyTy, come on up…

3. Kennypowers8798
    11:13 am April 21, 2021 Permalink

Reminds me of brandon knight.. one of my favorites to play at uk

• KentuckyBoy
      11:48 am April 21, 2021 Permalink

I agree – he seems to be a high IQ guy, with some Isaiah bulldog type in him. I would love to sign this kid.

4. FroggyFrog
    11:46 am April 21, 2021 Permalink

A lot of UK basketball media has reported that Cal will be making staff changes, presumably because he wasn’t pleased with player evaluations, amongst other things. With UK reaching out to 3957202739 point guards in the transfer portal, i’m wandering how much interest Cal now has in Nolan Hickman? ?

• WILDCATS1968
      12:32 pm April 21, 2021 Permalink

Well seeing how Cal raves about Hickman and talks about how he is exactly the type of PG he prefers, I would say Cal has a LOT of interest in Hickman, you know, since he is all ready signed to come here next year.
      Also, there is plenty of room for Washington, Carr, Mintz, and Hickman. That is four guards, plenty of playing time for each guy. It is actually about what you typically want, you never want to be in a position like last year where you only have two or three guards on the roster. IF a guy comes in and plays like a typical freshman, you are not forced to play him 30 minutes a game because you have to. Mintz and Carr would be very good to have, not just because they are really good / proven players, but it affords guys like Washington and Hickman to be able to come in and learn without the added pressure of having to play a ton of minutes and be the only guy at the position and have to sink or swim. I really think that added pressure added to Askew’s problems last year.
      PG – Hickman / Carr (if he commits)
      2G – Mintz (if he comes back) / Washington (if he commits)
      Lot of flexibility as all 4 could play the 1 or 2, one thing we have learned from previous years is, you can NEVER have too many guards. Also, Cal could / would play a 3 guard lineup, allows him to get the best players on the floor at the same time, Hagans / Maxey / IQ type situation.

5. TBW3011
    1:04 pm April 21, 2021 Permalink

Washington, Carr and the kid from Coastal. 2 of the 3 please, but 1 is a must.

6. UKFanSC
    1:10 pm April 21, 2021 Permalink

Love to have him, but not going to get mentally invested in it…..if he comes he comes.

7. VirginiaCat
    1:10 pm April 21, 2021 Permalink

Sounds like Arizona is in the lead based on Washington’s comment.