Tyler Ulis tells Skal to man up

It hasn’t been a great game for Skal Labissiere, who has been soft under the basket all night. Tyler Ulis finally had enough, shoving Skal during a team huddle and telling him to man up.

I think he also said “get the board,” which would be a smart move for Skal, who only has one rebound tonight.

God, I love Tyler Ulis.

30 Comments for Tyler Ulis tells Skal to man up

1. plumloopy
    11:07 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Skal ain’t the second coming of Davis.

• plumloopy
      11:08 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

(Unfortunately)

• UK Big Board Update
      11:08 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Who said that….?

• Rixter
      11:18 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

I’m afraid Skal might be the second coming of Shagari Alleyne.

2. plumloopy
    11:09 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

I’ve sort of forgotten what it’s like to lose a regular season game. Ah well.

3. binarysolo
    11:14 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

“Better Call Skal” (to man up)

4. Are You Floreal
    11:16 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully this can be a loss the team can grow a lot from, and we didn’t have Marcus Lee most of the game which also hurt. I recall a certain team that got upset in December that went on to win a National Title not too long ago…

5. Rixter
    11:17 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

I have no room to talk. Skal out-rebounded me. By one, but still.

6. shelby
    11:19 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

We’ll be fine folks, we don’t have the returning experience we had last year.
    That being said, I’ve given up on Poythress convincing me he doesn’t have a vagina; he needs to give his minutes to Matthews, Humphries, and Willis: IMO all 3 will contribute more and we’ll be better at the end of the year. So much athleticism, so much talent, and he hides frm the ball more than any player i can remember. It’s got nothng to do with the injury, he was this way before the injury. 2 minutes of aggression, 38 minutes of hiding.

• RexRox
      11:46 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

We have been waiting on Alex to realize his potential for five years. Time to wake up! He is what he is … an exemplary human being but will never be an elite basketball player, even at the collegiate level. If I were an NBA GM, I would not think of taking a chance on him.

• EdC
      6:17 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Rarely in my life will I ever quote Tubby Smith but “Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” also fits Poythress. He has his good moments but many more moments of disappearing.

7. Kyblue34
    11:21 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Skal is the most overrated recruit of the Cal era, and it is not close. He gives us nothing and does not deserve the minutes he gets. Humphries at least tries.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Skal looked lost – like a deer in headlights all night. Maybe he is overrated, or maybe it was the fact that he didn’t play for his school last season. Only action he got was with that thrown-together club team. I think he can give up on that top-5 draft pick hoopla. Dakari would eat his lunch.

• Melvit
      11:37 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Murray looks like the only NBA ready player so far.

• RexRox
      11:50 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Murray may be ‘NBA Ready’ but he better be ready to sit on the bench. Bad decisions … If you get taken to school by Bryce Alford, you are NOT NBA ready

• BbnGroveStreet
      12:00 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Sorry melvit but actually briacie tonight was the only reason we stayed in the game. Briscoe is NBA ready, Murray is NBA ready, and besides that Cal better find more scholarships or there’s gonna be a lot more 50th picks like the twins last year.. #chinabound

• BbnGroveStreet
      12:01 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Briscoe*

8. WCS15UK
    11:26 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s a decent bet that Wynyard will suit up this season

9. mikeintn
    11:26 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Its one bad game, its Dec, may not be a bad thing in the long run, don’t think we should start calling players names, there get it right.

10. CATilactica
    11:31 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Skal is skilled. he’s just not a physical player. He’s like wiltjer with more athleticsm. He’ll play in the nba because of his skill set, but we need him to defend in rebound in the college game. Apparently he’s not interested in the ladder.

• CwoodCat
      11:37 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

latter

• Kyblue34
      12:23 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

What exactly is his skill set? Yeah, he can hit the hook shot and 10 ft jumper against some smaller teams like Albany, but that’s basically it. He might as well not even be out there on defense, can’t protect the rim, and can’t rebound at all. No way is he a one and done unless he miraculously gains about 30 pounds and learns to play aggressive. Plus, if does come back next year Bam and Humphries will take all of his minutes.

11. b-dub
    12:16 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

The football team needed a few Tyler Ulises out there getting in the face of the wimpy receivers and linemen who wilted under adversity. Skal will be fine- it’s not lack of heart, it’s lack of experience and upper body strength (and maybe confidence). Cal and Tyler know he has the ability, it’s just a matter of him knowing it and playing like it.

12. Catsfan3
    12:42 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Skal has moved up to big boy ball and he is definitely not ready. His reactions are way to slow, he has no desire to go in and mix it up with the big guys, gets lost easily on defense and does not get to the post and demand the ball. He does not rebound, looks totally lost the whole time he is on the court. I don’t know if he’s planning on playing the 4 if and when he develops the desire to actually play and reach the pro level but if he came out right now he’d get crushed by other 4’s in the league. As far as Briscoe goes, he does well driving with the ball but has to improve his free throw shooting and especially his defense. As for Murray I don’t think he’s ever met a shot he wouldn’t take and he would have had a much worse looking line if he hadn’t hit those 3’s when the game was over. He was M.I.A. almost all night. Gotta have some hart if you’re going to play with the big boys. Not just stand around and watch like a big wuss.

13. Joe Dan Gorman
    12:52 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

General Ullis S Tyler

LOL

14. Joe Dan Gorman
    12:53 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I see “HIT the boards”

15. EdC
    6:15 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Yes Skal is playing soft but it is his freshman year and December.

Remember Willie in the biggest game of his life, his junior year and how soft he was when it actually mattered? 2 points and 0 offensive rebounds (5 total) in 33 minutes against Wisconsin. Far bigger body,much more experience and the fans gave him a free pass. I think we can let Skal have a little more slack. Ulis should have cold cocked Willie.

16. Big Meech
    7:22 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Relax. What’s wrong with u all one bad game. First road true road test. Give skal some time. Yes he needs to get stronger but is it fair to dog him already? Cals batting average is pretty solid

17. manOwar
    9:46 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Tyler Ulis average 3 rebounds per game, which is fine for a point guard. On the other hand, I read that Skal also averages 3 rebounds a game. That is NOT-SO-GOOD for a guy who stands at 6’11. Come on Skal, get tougher man, and get tougher like NOW, or we’re in big trouble this season. Maybe I am being dramatic, but I am sure my sentiment is conveyed, right? Y’all get my point. Poythress needs to man up too.

18. davidpat
    8:30 am December 5, 2015 Permalink

simple commands make the best leaders!