Tyler Ulis still loses sleep over the Wisconsin game

@kmattio

@MariaTaylor7

The Wisconsin game has become the scab the media just can’t stop picking at. This morning at SEC Tipoff, Tyler Ulis was asked about The Loss again, and he told a group of reporters he’s still not over it.

“It is still lingering for me,” Ulis said, according to Nicole Auerbach. “I still lose sleep over it.”

Ulis is clearly the leader of this squad, a role he has fully embraced.

“There’s a lot on my shoulders and I’m ready to take it on,” he said, according to Kyle Tucker. Last year’s team was known for their strong post play, and while this year’s group is expected to be perimeter-oriented, Ulis says they don’t have an identity yet.

“It’s early, we don’t have one.”

Plenty of time ’til March. We’ll do our best to be patient. In other news, I need Marcus Lee’s letter jacket:

@kmattio

@kmattio

12 Comments for Tyler Ulis still loses sleep over the Wisconsin game

1. CATandMONKEY
    12:24 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Ullis isn’t the only one to lose sleep . Ullis is becoming one of my all-time faves. My nephew and sister ran into him briefly at a Cal camp in June/July. They were impressed – especially my nephew who is an undersized PG at 13 years.

2. 8 god
    12:43 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m not convince that’s a good thing. Have to be able to shake off tough losses; Ulis hasn’t done much losing at the college level. There’s a fine line between having a chip on your shoulder and being haunted by a loss.

• KENTEXAN
      1:01 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I would agree with you if it were a regular season game…. and it wasn’t the loss that kept you from a perfect season, and you know that as team you had every opportunity to win… if you can shrug off that kind of loss, then why even bother being a player or fan…. you play to win, and a fan supports its team and wants their teams best effort, and we share their disappointment when that does not happen.

3. KES
    12:57 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Tyler can thank his no show buddy,WCS for losing sleep

• KENTEXAN
      1:07 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Wrong… if there is any blame.. it goes on Coach Cal…

• WatchinginCali
      1:13 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Agreed completely that the Final Four game against Wisconsin is on Cal. It highlights one of Cal’s biggest coaching weaknesses – that is, his tendency to want to play ‘prevent’, clock-watching basketball in big-time games when the Cats have the lead late. He plays not to lose and it cost us dearly against Wiscy. Almost cost us the title in ’12.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:25 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I will give them both a slice of blame. WCS was a non-factor, in any positive way for UK in that game. This comment brought to you from a household that did and generally still does, hold Willie in high esteem.

• @BallBlog_Chad
      1:33 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

You can throw some blame towards the strategy, some on the shot selection, yada yada … we lost that game because of the refs, they were horrible … and yes, that’s an awesome jacket

• J-Dub421
      1:39 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Throw some blame on Booker and Lyles who were both so bad defensively that Wisconsin was actively looking to isolate both as defenders to score on them and did so at will. Wisconsin would literally see who was being guarded by Lyles or Booker, get that guy the ball, and then he would immediately score on them.

4. TDunc23-1
    1:50 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

You know who I blame for the loss? Wisconsin, they scored more points than us.

5. Wildcat Sheli
    2:12 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I’ve lost sleep over it, too. After a few weeks I worked up the energy to re-watch the last 4 minutes. Any reasonable person who watches it can clearly see something wasn’t right about the officiating (I think a lot of naysayers were silenced after the blown calls in the Wisconsin-Duke game). Not. Over. It!

6. SCCat
    2:34 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

What i get from this interview is that Ulis is going to be a MONSTER floor leader and this might be our best shot at a title – kid has all the intangibles and will be one of the most revered PG’s in KY lore when he hangs them up. i think we get 2 more years out of him due to NBA folks being leery over his height. their loss….