Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray call out teammates for weak play

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

Ulis and Murray in happier times (Photo by UK Athletics)

Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray combined for 44 of UK’s 67 points tonight, and in the postgame press conference, didn’t hesitate to voice their criticism over their teammates’ soft play.

Guys came out and didn’t really want to play and didn’t play that hard and basically it seemed like they didn’t really want it,” Ulis said. “I feel like we came out, I don’t know what it was, a little scared it seemed.”

“It was just frustrating knowing we’re so much better,” Jamal Murray said. Murray scored 17 second half points in a failed comeback attempt. “It’s just frustrating as a leader.”

On his postgame radio show, John Calipari said his players at the four and five positions “got killed,” a major wake-up call that could provide an opportunity for Isaac Humphries and Tai Wynyard to get more minutes.

“Got absolutely murdered,” Cal said of Marcus Lee, Skal Labissiere, Alex Poythress, and Derek Willis. “They gave us nothing.”

Cal also said that a few of his guards — I’m guessing Ulis and Murray — were so disappointed in their teammates that they called them out in the locker room afterwards.

I was happy that a couple of the guards said something after the game,” Cal said. “It’s better not coming from me.”

After two great games, Ulis said he was genuinely surprised by his teammates’ regression.

“It surprised me. I thought we made such great strides. We took ten steps back in this game.”

33 Comments for Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray call out teammates for weak play

1. bstains
    11:56 pm January 5, 2016 Permalink

I dont think Willis played all that bad, more than I can say for the rest of them.

• BanjoBeliever
      5:35 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Willis did NOT play that bad and should have more minutes.

• Rixter
      11:45 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Willis got SCHOOLED, absolutely abused…. by everybody he tried to guard.

2. ballplayerstu
    11:58 pm January 5, 2016 Permalink

Coach Cal… at sometime Id like to see you take the blame. Tonight was one of those times he should have said hey, its on me to take the pressure off the kids.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:02 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Um, where have you been?

• ballplayerstu
      12:11 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Dude Coach made not one adjustment when Ulis was getting trapped & contained so to speak. These are kids who need not have all the pressure pointed on them..

• cats42301
      12:50 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Oh give it a break! Pressure? “Kids” join the military and could get killed any day.I would hope a “kid” could handle the pressure of a bad personal performance and a bad loss in a basketball game. Come on it’s not like are china dolls, they are young men and shouldn’t need a coach to take the pressure off of them, which isn’t really pressure in the grand scheme of things anyway.

3. scottg74
    11:59 pm January 5, 2016 Permalink

If given the God given skill to play basketball, and given a UK scholarship, and I am talented, you best believe my attitude is going to be “Walk thru fire attitude for my team, when things I do best aren’t working, keep truckin and no fear mindset and all heart”

• UK Big Board Update
      12:04 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

You’ve also never played in front of 20,000 fans, nor heard from the endless lunatics on social media and KSR comments section.

If were the President, I’d be the best president ever. Totally.

• Nashville Cat
      6:52 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Ha! ^^^

• scottg74
      1:12 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

So what your telling me is your like this team, can’t find any confidence or heart?

• UK Big Board Update
      2:12 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

You’d be super-awesome, scottg74. I just know it.

4. thesnake79
    12:00 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

I hope they called out more than the bigs. Call out Briscoe for not making any of his free throws and building a freaking mansion with all the bricks.

5. scottg74
    12:01 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Mental toughness is really important and hard to learn when young.

6. scottg74
    12:03 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

I suck at basketball, but when I goto the free throw line, my mentality is “these mother ******* are going down” or why else bother

7. Garmaster
    12:06 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Maybe Murray should guard somebody before calling out his teammates

8. UK Big Board Update
    12:15 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

We lost a game in January. Cancel the season, we need to find a new coach…..

9. Catlogic15
    12:21 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Not good when a freshman (Murray) calls out a senior (Poythress).
    But somebody needs to.

• BanjoBeliever
      5:38 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Poythress is a very good player. Sometimes players just have difficult games.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:38 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Poythress just disappears. How can an athlete with his abilities just vanish like that?

10. AndTheDevil
    12:38 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t think Willis played horribly. He played good defense in spots. I mean Simmons caught him a few times, but it’s Simmons. Should have a few more rebounds.

11. The Professor
    1:33 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Alex played like Skal tonight. Briscoe may be the worst shooter in the history of basketball.

12. BanjoBeliever
    5:39 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

Free throws, free throws, free throws! And how many fouls did Kentucky have anyway? I don’t think LSU had near that many called on them. There were times LSU needed fouls called against them but none was called.

13. Craig Sagers Suits
    5:43 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

• Nashville Cat
      6:51 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

He is the Darius Miller of this team. All the talent in the world. Should be the best player on the court. But it doesn’t connect mentally. He cant put it together consistently.

14. Craig Sagers Suits
    5:44 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

I think Alex Poythress needs to be the Darius Miller of this team. He’s seen the lows (13 team) and the highs of being in the National Title game (14) and even though he was unavailable last year’s final four team. If he can begin to lead like Darius did and Isiah Briscoe figures out his shot on top of what Ulis and Murray are doing, I think we’ll be ok.

15. Sentient Third Eye
    8:41 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

I wonder if they spent so much time focusing on holding Simmons to a mediocre game (which they did) that it disrupted what they needed to do on offense? It wouldn’t be the first time a team disrupted itself because they were doing something different to contain a superstar. Maybe that was a part of it, too.

16. shelby
    8:51 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

I’m with Ullis; Poythress looks scared about 80 percent of the times he’s stepped on the court for UK; actually; I would like to declare an end to the Poythress experiment: continually giving him playing time and “hoping” he decides to be aggressive isn’t enough IMO. Sit him, give the majority of his minutes to Willis, Matthews, Humphries and see if we can get at least consistent effort.

17. macsauce13
    11:26 am January 6, 2016 Permalink

More Humphries? The guy seems like a really great kid, and I’m hoping he’s the new Jorts in a couple years, but he looks so goofy and awkward on the court. You can actually see the lower level of athleticism. He’ll be fine, but he doesn’t need more minutes this year if we are going to be any good.

18. scottg74
    1:14 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Play to win the game attitude.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:17 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

I know, right? Cal needs to quit recruiting these top athletes who just want to lose.