Tyler Herro scouting report from Nike Hoop Summit

There’s been a lot of talk about the guard situation on next year’s team, but one name we haven’t talked about lately is Tyler Herro. Herro played in the Nike Hoop Summit last month, and NBADraft.net’s Aran Smith just released this scouting report to give you an idea of what to expect when he suits up for Kentucky this fall. As Smith notes, Herro didn’t have his best performance, but could be a major role player for years to come.

Herro is a quality shooter and had his moments throughout the week of practices shooting from long range. While not the quickest or most athletic player, he has a sturdy frame and a solid understanding of the game. It seems that the quickness of practice and the game made it difficult for him to make an impact. He finished with 2 points in just 7 minutes of game time, missing the only three ball that he took.

He is better in the half court and shows some knowledge of how to run defenders off screens to create open looks. His lack of length will be something to monitor on defense, though he does seem to have a semblance of ball skills and a good work ethic. Kentucky looks to have a crowded backcourt next year, though Herro should manage to fill a role and could develop into a strong rotation piece in time.

For more on Herro’s performance at the Nike Hoop Summit, check out our own Aaron Torres’ recap:

Tyler Herro snubbed in forgettable Nike Hoops Summit game

[NBADraft.net]

[mobile_ad]

18 Comments for Tyler Herro scouting report from Nike Hoop Summit

1. Wade
    12:24 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Herro is no one and done but s what Kentucky needs. A shooter who can pass and plays smart and not scared off anyone.

• Luether
      10:38 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

My sources say that Cal will Jon Hood him…

2. John Henry
    12:32 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

I am not going to judge Tyler on some All Star game. He will have a real opportunity to prove what he has in Coach Cal’s practices and I think he will pass the test. He will play a lot of ball for our Cats next year.

3. Twick39
    12:35 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

I think this guy comes in with a chip on his shoulder from the lack of touches in the star game and being snubbed from the McDonalds game.

4. KYJelly
    12:50 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

I like his game, I worry about him in our system though. Cal likes to run, and when I hear the descriptions that he isn’t very fast and is better in the half-court, it concerns me. Wiltjer was a great player, but those descriptions were what caused him issues with fitting in

• k3ntucky_jer
      4:03 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Fake fan!!! Like you really know anything but how to talk about a player before he even plays one game ???? I love you fake fans. You really have no clue but what you read hear. When he tearing it up in Jordan brand classic you dint have crap to say but now you are really confusing. #FakeFan #BBN

• k3ntucky_jer
      4:04 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Yes to you uklogopogo Head

• jaws2
      4:27 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Cal likes to run, when? To Dunkin Doughnuts? We’ve been walking the ball up the court for 4 years! EVERY year he talks about how great we’ll be running and pressing; never happens.

5. UKLugo
    1:03 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like a po’ mans Kyle Wiljter and a liability on defense. He’ll probably transfer before he graduates. Hope not, of course. Hope he’s a 4yr player who goes down in UK folklore. But I think Ive seen this movie before.

6. Rembrandt
    1:05 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

There is no basis of comparison between Herro and Wiltjer. Herro and most other players would be lucky to have the college career Wiltjer had, but they are completely different players. I am not concerned about Herro offensively. There is a role for a spot up perimeter shooter in our system. That’s how Booker and Miller scored a lot of their buckets. Herro’s problem, if there is one, could come on the defensive end. But with Hagans and Quickley availability, Cal won’t have to play Herro in bad matchups.

• UKLugo
      1:15 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

He’s similar to Wiljter in that he’s a spot up shooter and slow. He’s a po’ man’s version in that he’s only 6’5″ to Kyles 6’10”. What made Kyle an All-America is that he had all those skills at that size.

Defensively, coaches will go after the weak link; where ever it is.

I hope he does well, but I have a feeling he’ll get frustrated and leave.

• Alex90
      2:55 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

For anyone comparing him to Wiltjer just stop. I get it he’s whute and can shoot but the comparisons should stop there. No he’s not going to blow by you with speed but neither did Booker. He’s a shooter with good size and seems to have a good feel for the game. I think he would be comparable to Quade with speed.

• henderblue
      11:48 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

And height.

7. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    1:15 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

I’ve actually known Aran for a long time, he came here to Chicago for the McDAAG a few times and we started a friendship. Friendship aside, Aran’s analysis of Herro’s game was due to a singular performance at an “all-star” game that consisted of a lot of guys wanting to just drive to the basket to take a bad shot, that simply isn’t today’s basketball. I did get the chance to see Herro play 8 times during his high school season (I live about 90 minutes away from his Milwaukee suburb), he can quite actually do everything you want offensively, play on the ball, play off the ball, full court, half court, isolation, and can take it to the bucket if you need him to.

8. wyatts1
    4:35 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

If I’m gonna compare him to anyone it’s gotta be Miller, not in every aspect but in a few. He’s gonna need a year maybe two to get his feel for the college game and to get his body ready for college game shape. Plus he’s not got the post moves that Miller had but he can do well in isolation and maybe better at pick and pop. I truly love his mindset for the game and think that’ll get him far if he gets the chance. His first year he will mainly be a shooter on the wings but the remaining years he has the potential to be something above and beyond what he’s shown IF given the chance.

9. trumpetguy
    5:14 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

We’ve seen the quick athletic types who are just that, but CAN’T shoot…..Cal has too. I’m glad we have someone who can get us baskets from the perimeter, so hopefully zones we typically see won’t continue to slow the games pace to a snails crawl. There is a reason UK is bringing in all these guards with ball handling/passing/shooting skills!

10. stevemotley
    9:47 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

His player breakdown is absolutely on point. If you watch his videos from high school he has trouble separating from guys in the Wisconsin high school basketball league. What in the world makes you all think he’s going to be able to get his own shot off the dribble in college? He’s a plus shooter but not very athletic, doesn’t mean he won’t be successful. Luke Kennard was pretty successful at Duke

• Luether
      10:40 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

My sources say that Herro is no Luke Kennard…