Herro is a “dog,” not just a “white kid who can shoot”

Tyler Herro was ice cold from the field against Kansas, but he did everything else to make up for a poor shooting performance. His head coach, John Calipari, said after the game, “Tyler didn’t make shots, but I thought played well because now he’s defending and rebounding. He doesn’t have to make shots every time.”

Assistant coach Kenny Payne echoed that comment on Monday, telling reporters Herro is doing it all. Payne said, “I think that what is happening for Tyler Herro, right in front of our eyes, is non-basketball people are looking at him saying he’s missing shots. Basketball people are looking at Tyler saying, ‘Man, his energy. Man, he can pass. Man, he’s defending. He does a little bit of everything. He can drive to the basket.’ So, there’s this people being so concerned with shooting that they’re forgetting and not noticing exactly what he’s bringing to the table.”

Herro calls himself “a dog,” Payne said, which should come as no surprise, given Herro’s confidence. When asked what makes Herro a dog, Payne explained it as, “In my dictionary, it means an alpha. That I will fight you for everything you get. I’m not just a white kid that can shoot. I can play.”

Herro is trying to shake the white kid/shooter label that is often attached to guards who look like him. “If you don’t look at my skin color and we just go play basketball, you’re not going to say I’m a white kid that can just shoot,” he said.

Payne also added that Herro takes pride in being a complete, all-around player, and he referred to Herro’s attitude as, ‘I’m coming here to show people that I’m not just a shooter. I’m going after people. I can play. I can put it on the floor. I’ve got wiggles. I’ve got swag. You name it, I got it.’ ”

Article written by Drew Franklin

87 Comments for Herro is a “dog,” not just a “white kid who can shoot”

1. cats646
    3:34 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

He’s white?

• 4everUKblue
      4:08 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Holy Sh!t! After all this time?

• unbridled
      12:50 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Is this really a topic being discussed? Sorry but it’s just silly. I don’t care if he’s green….as long as he defends, rebounds, passes the ball correctly, doesn’t turn the ball over, knocks down shots, leads by example, and is wearing a Kentucky jersey. Everything else is just noise.

• 4everUKblue
      7:20 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Why don’t you ask Herro? He’s the one who said it.

• unbridled
      8:46 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I understand but it came from somewhere. Regardless, just because an 18 year old said it doesn’t mean it’s fit to print. Just saying.

2. Papaw
    3:37 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. As every announcer says, he’s not just a shooter. Herro can and does, do it all

3. SuperTroy18
    3:42 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

I read a hilarious KU thread today where multiple Kansas fans said Herro completely shut down Vick. Herro can drive me crazy with streaky cold shooting and freshmen mistake, but he’s going to be seriously good most games. He rebounds and plays defense. He can finish with both hands beautifully. I’m hoping he stays and dominates next year, but if he leaves after this season, I think he will have played himself into lottery possibly. All depends on what kind of March he has.

• secrick
      3:58 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Whats funny about saying he shut down Vick, he did didn’t he.

• bigbluebanana
      5:12 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Probably referring to the commenters in the thread.

• RealCatsFan
      5:12 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t read it, but my guess would be that they were wondering how a “slow white shooter” could shut their stud player down. 😉

• syrin23
      2:38 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I think he is the best transition finisher, and finisher at the rim since John Wall.

4. BlooBloodRon
    3:42 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

We probably should archive the pics with Quade in them dontcha think? That said if the team can together and win #9, does Quade get a ring? I would say so but I am usually wrong (or told I am) about such things. I’ll hang up and listen…..

• CatfaninCinci
      4:53 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

He absolutely would get a ring. He played minutes on the team this season, unquestionably, the answer is yes!

• ClutchCargo
      5:50 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

No one who quits the team mid-season (unless it’s health or family related) should get a ring. Or maybe he could get half a ring.

• syrin23
      2:37 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

No, you leave a tram in mid season, you don’t get the rewards. You leave a band right before they break out, you don’t get the rewards.

5. bigcat68
    4:18 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Still can’t get over the fact that he’s white. This world has gone crazy

6. mrpokerchips
    4:19 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

I thought he was light skinned

7. KYFAN4LYFE
    4:45 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Herro’s definitely not just a “white kid who can shoot”….he’s also a “white kid who can dribble” & a “white kid who can pass”. Basically, he’s a “white kid who plays basketball”. It’s 2019….shouldn’t we be done with this false narrative BS by now? You’d think “white kids” being good at basketball was as rare as black guys being good at golf. Pistol Pete, Dan Issel , Larry Bird, Rex Chapman, John Stockton, Dirk Nowitski, Steve Nash, Chris Mullen, Rick Barry, Kevin Love, Jeff Hornacek, Danny Ainge, Kyle Korver, Steve Kerr….. it’s not hard to think of white guys who are/were good at basketball.

It’s just dumb that this kind of rhetoric ever existed in the first place. I don’t remember Tiger ever having to use the “I’m not just a black guy who can putt” line.

• wyatts1
      5:07 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

How could you leave Shaun Bradley off this list?? (Sarcasm)
      I typed a lot of true and valid points on this subject but erased them because this article fans the fire and it would be real easy to say things that could become misconstrued. So let’s just say this; Herro is a bad MF’R, and he’s a equal opportunity ass kicker while on the ball court. Shouldn’t be a black/white thing while here at UK, it should only (and always) be a BLUE AND WHITE thing!! #gobigblue!

• Matt10
      5:17 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Part of why it exists, and I may well get skewered for this, but Cal simply doesn’t recruit many white kids, unless they’re walk-ons with good gpa’s.
      Yes, a majority of top players are black but many of the country’s other top programs find talented white guys somehow. Cal, not so much.
      It’s a shame we can’t ignore skin color but there are actually genetic and other differences between races…and biases by coaches.

• 4everUKblue
      7:26 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Cal recruits the players who fit his system, period. Some of you have made it well known you don’t like Cal and think he can’t coach. Some think you’re more of a fan because you were born and raised in Lex and some because you shook Rupp’s hand, truth is that makes no difference at all. You think having shook Rupp’s hand however many times entitles you to criticize the team and the coach, I just think you’re full of sh!t!

• KYFAN4LYFE
      7:40 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Um….4everUKblue, I think you replied to the wrong comment. Nothing you typed has anything at all to do with my comments or any others that replied to me.

• 4everUKblue
      8:05 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Um no KYFAN4LYFE right thread, I’m just reminding everyone of yours and Slater’s earlier comments. Neither of you have shown Cal any respect and still call yourself fans. In fact you were naming replacements for Cal, after boasting about having shook Rupp’s hand many times.

• satcheluk
      9:40 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

77% (give or take) if the NBA is black while they are about 10% of the population. If we broke it down by gender it would be wider. Stats don’t lie. White guys who can ball, not just shoot, are a rare breed. Naming a dozen good white players over the last 40+ years only weakens your point.

8. ibescootch
    4:50 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

He’s got wiggles! Hahaha! That’s a new one. I like it.

• RealCatsFan
      5:16 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

You mean these guys? 😀

• ClutchCargo
      11:51 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

It’s just not the same since Greg had to step down for health reasons. I would frequently find myself singing along to the Wiggles CD in the car after I dropped my daughter off at preschool back in the day. lol

9. katmandue2you
    5:06 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Hot damn…this keeps up I’m gonna say Tyler’s making America great again!!! And hell no I’m not a freaking racist. I despise people that judge people by the color of their skin! But yet I do own a MAGA headpiece…actually it’s a black sock cap! My son had a white dog. We shoulda named him Herro. Point is…I find it hilarious and completely tragic where our country finds itself sociologically. But one thing I do find extremely appealing is how our Kentucky Wildcats are rounding into tip-top shape….each and every tint and tone!! MAKE UK AND COVCATH GREAT AGAIN!!!

• RealCatsFan
      5:20 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Not so much a MAGA guy myself (although I respect your right to be one and wear your gear), but I agree 100% that our nation has become too hypervigilant about anything related to race. Friend of mine had a black lab and he named him Jordan because he was black and could jump really high. I thought it was hilarious, and another friend of ours who is black also thought it was funny. Guess what I am saying is that we can all get along as long as we respect each other as human beings. GO CATS!

• cats646
      5:40 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Both of y’all have very valid points. It’s nice to see people can still talk like adults.

• Irish son
      6:27 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

You own a MAGA hat, you’re a racist. Sorry

• cats646
      7:03 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Not true Irish son. If you think that, you’re a dumbass, not sorry.

• bigbluebanana
      8:07 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Part of the problem, is that we e let a hat come between us all. I’m from a very conservative corner of Kentucky, mist folks I know don this maga hats. A third of them do not have a racist bone in their body, a third of them are blatantly racist, and a third of them are too stupid to think for themselves. In the flip, those same numbers can be thrown up about “liberal” folks I know too, especially in that area. Before anyone lambasts me either way, let me remind everyone that I am a black man, I’ve dealt with racism all my life. Not from everyone, in fact, 99% of white people I’ve ever encountered in my entire life treated me no differently because of my skin color. Truth is, there’s racist, sexist, elitist azz holes on both sides and none of them give two shitz about any of us regular people, and that has nothing to do with skin color. It’s about money and power, something they have all kept while we fight amongst ourselves. That’s exactly what they want. If you can’t see that the trumps and Hilary’s of this country aren’t two sides of the same coin, you’re part of the problem.

• katmandue2you
      8:19 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

BigBlueBanana fist bump bro. By and large I agree with most everything you just said except my observation is that the racist 3rd are too numb to think for themselves or anyone else. But then what do I know…I just got accused of being one of being a racist.

• BigolBlue
      12:47 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Actually irish has a valid point

• CatManDo
      9:03 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

bbbanana, appreciate your frankness. One of my good friends at work is black and he cringes every time racism is assumed when something negative happens to a black person. As he says, racism is becoming watered down because it is thrown out so frequently.

• chardun20
      11:55 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Bigbluebanana, it’s not the hat, it’s the people in the hat and what they make it stand for. I am Black also, but it shouldn’t make a difference

• Luether
      12:25 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Ya’ll that call others “racist” are always DemocRats and usually always wrong about it. The party of “No” and the party of Hate…

• syrin23
      2:33 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

There is nothing racist about a hat, or enforcing existing immigration law. What race is an illegal exactly? You mean we can’t have illegals from ANY nation? Why is it blacks across every spectrum of society celebrated and rewarded Trump until he won the presidency as a republican, and then he magically turned into a racist who isn’t a racist? Liberals have hate in their heart and cancer in their souls, and label ANYTHING they don’t like as racist. it’s to the point the term has no meaning as they literally call for open persecution or worse against whites which is the literal definition of racism, and blindly deny it and even defend it. Irrational pure hatred based on loyalty to a political party, not to their nation, fellow citizens, or even a moral code. Just pure raw political power for democrats with extreme hate and yes violence, nod to Antifa, is all they care about.

• satcheluk
      9:45 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Illegal immigration is at its lowest since 1971. Border arrest have been dropping for a decade. Stoking fear to rule up the base only works if malleable minds fail to hold the talking heads accountable with fact checking.

• 4everUKblue
      8:08 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully one day some of you will realize the plan is to divide us and it’s working like a charm, it’s all distraction, it’s a tactic that’s been used for centuries.

• Irish son
      5:00 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

@cats646 absolutely true. The MAGA hats replaced the pointy hoods.

• cats646
      7:56 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

If you’re serious Irish son, then you are exactly what’s wrong with America. People like you are just naturally petty and feel they have the need to bitch and moan about every little thing they don’t agree with. They make up total bull sh!t that is absolutely not true just to try and make someone they don’t agree with look bad. It’s absolutely pathetic. I have a MAGA hat and fly a Trump flag. Guess what, my black friend was just at my house for lunch yesterday. He also voted for trump. But yea, yea, I’m a racist. Smh. Fuk off and work on getting a life and bettering yourself rather than b!tching about a hat you don’t like.

10. sincitycat
    6:20 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

The only color that matters to me is Big Blue.

11. Wade
    6:24 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

He shut down Vick which we needed defensively and like cal says if you can’t contributing in ways you’re best at, do it with hustle and defense. Some scorers shut down if shots aren’t falling. Not herro, that’s why he’s a dog! Remember ad n champ game he said I can’t hit shit but I’m gonna block every shot and get every rebound and I think we won that game? Correct me if I’m wrong! Those are dogs and that’s what you must possess inside to win championships!

12. BigolBlue
    6:56 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Funny how society can say white boy and white kid especially black people like its perfectly fine. If a white guy says anything even remotely involving black or dark a riot ensues.

• cats646
      7:06 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

You’re actually correct Bigolblue. It’s pathetic how incredibly hypocritical the left can be and they are too blind to even realize it.

• bigbluebanana
      8:19 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

I’m black, never had a problem with anyone using that word to describing me, because that’s what I am. 99% of the people who get touchy about using “black” to describe my folks are elitist, guilty white people driving around in BMW’s and shopping at Whole Foods. I consider myself very liberal with lots of stuff, but o e thing I do blame totally on the left is creating an environment of sanitized speech. When I was in my 20’s, I spent two years of my life traveling. Finding myself, living in a van, and getting stoned to Grateful Dead music. For over a year, I essentially lived within a Cherokee Indian reservation outside of Maggie Valley, North Carolina. The tribal members hate the term “Native American”…absolutely hate it. They aren’t crazy about Indian either, but at least that term was derived from meaning “people of god”. When I would talk to them about what they wanted to be called, most would say “call me human”, others would say “call me Cherokee, because that’s my tribe”. Our speech is too sanitized. I’ve got great aunts and uncles that still refer to themselves as “colored folks”. My son’s mother was white, and a wonderful mother and human. When we lost her, I knew it was up to me to not only teach him about my lineage, but hers as well. Life’s too short for us to be fighting over dumb stuff, and if we don’t stop soon, ALL of us are going to lose what we have left.

• friendsofcoal
      11:30 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

BBBanana, I’m a conservative republican that lives in eastern KY and works in the coal mining industry. I wish that both sides of the aisle could be more like you and myself. I too feel like the race card is getting old although I realize it does exist from time to time but I think politically it’s out of control. I wish the greedy people on both sides could come together and truly make America great again (no pun intended).

• bigbluebanana
      11:59 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Me too friend, me too. I grew up in western Kentucky, so my lifelong best friends are white dudes decked head to toe in camouflage gear, big beards, and thick, almost indecipherable accents. I love them. They love me. We e literally traveled the world together, watched each other’s children for days, stuff like that. We do t agree on everything politically all the time, but it’s never mattered. End of the day we respect and love each other in spite of the fact we see the world differently.

• Uk8rings
      11:46 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

BBBanana….. You sound like an intelligent and rational guy….Props to you

• BigolBlue
      12:50 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Nothing I said was political. Im not right or left. In fact its tearing our country apart.

• cats646
      9:15 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

I wish I could give you a high five BBBanana. Props brother

• RealCatsFan
      12:24 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

BBBanana, I need to meet you man. Any black dude who used to get stoned listening to the Dead is a guy I need to have a beer with! 😉 Have a great week, and GO CATS!

• bigbluebanana
      3:03 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Never stopped listening to the Dead bro! Favorite band of all time. My dad took me to over 50 GD shows before Jerry died when I was 13. Just took my 8 year old son to a Dead and Co. show last year, it was his 7th. I think kinda growing up within that type of community kept my ideas on race, religion, and everything else very open. I live every day being as peaceful and supportive of all good people that I can. Only thing I won’t stand for is hate and crap talking about Big Blue! Lol. That’s why bigolblue is the only consistent argument in my life! I can talk openly and calmly with any person about politics, religion, etc, but I won’t stand for anybody messing with my CATS!

• syrin23
      2:34 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Academia, media and celebrities are tearing us apart, and weak minded teenagers and young adults to intellectually immature to think for themselves have allowed themselves to be indoctrinated.

• 4everUKblue
      7:29 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Once again Bigoldumass/slater/combatmedic posts an ignorant comment. Oh well, death, taxes and Bigoldumass/slater/combatmedic is an idiot!

• RealCatsFan
      7:33 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Syrin, you need to put politicians and the majority of big business in there too. In fact, the preponderance of the greed that infests our nation is centered with this group. Unfortunately being self centered is a human trait that must be overcome on both left and right.

13. CombatMedic_98
    6:58 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

It should be playground rules…if you are good enough to get on the court you better play to win or you sittin the next games with the losers and if u can’t BALL u aint’ playin on the next team…IM TIRED OF SKIN COLOR as the QUALIFIER and why in 2019 are MEASURING ourselves and comparing based on RACE!

• jaws2
      10:46 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Because the left has been playing the race card, and the media has been obliging them for so long that it’s the narrative. It’s sickening and pathed that they’ve gotten away with it.

• jaws2
      10:47 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

‘pathetic’

• syrin23
      2:40 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Go to an inner city court as a white guy, and see if they ever let you in the game. I have been there and done that.

• JusSayin
      11:03 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

There are white guys in the DirtBowl every year syrin23. Maybe Don’t assume every pickup game with black people is the same either.

• Irish son
      5:01 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

Because people of color have been getting discriminated against forever

• cats646
      7:58 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

We have to move on from the past Irish son, that is the only reason racism is still a thing because people like you are complaining about what our ancestors did 300 years ago.

14. katmandue2you
    8:10 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

If you really believe that Irish Son then I’m more than glad to inform you that you’re the problem. But then if you really believe that you’re too damn ignorant (like millions of others) to ever realize or be convinced you’re the problem. Just the fact you would call me a racist shows just how unenlightened you truly are. RealCatsFan…thanks and your respect is certainly reciprocated!

• katmandue2you
      8:51 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

One last comment about Tyler Herro and his whiteness. At least he’s not some punk ass cheapshot artist dukie white boy like Grayson Allen and Laetner

• syrin23
      2:35 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Cal does a pretty good job screening the thug personalities out, although PJ has streaks in him I do not like.

15. CatManDo
    8:57 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Hero is like a white Larry Bird.

16. katmandue2you
    9:40 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

There was only one Larry Bird. And he was good beyond description.

17. RexRox
    9:43 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Before we get too self righteous, I remember when Cal was recruiting Herro, people on this website saying he couldn’t guard his shadow. I believed then and believe now those comments were racially motivated. He has proven those opinions to be wrong.

• friendsofcoal
      11:31 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

Racial?? Come on man.

• syrin23
      2:27 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

It ABSOLUTELY happened, as I am on record here for saying Tyler would be the missing piece we have needed for years. “Slow white guy” was the favored term. And for the record, I was right. He is the best passing lane defender I have ever seen at UK< and he is the best passer into the post we've had in years. What absolutely baffles me is his mod range jump shot. He has a spring in his step and gets to the top of the key for a WIDE OPEN jumper, and he consistently misses that shot, and it's always long on the very back of the rim and kicks up high and back out on the rebound. If he hits that shot at the 75+% clip he should and is capable of doing, we win every game going forward.

18. Rick_S
    11:34 pm January 28, 2019 Permalink

He had been hot from 3 till KU game..From UNC till MSU he was 18-40..He needs to shoot 44+% from here on and UK will win big

• BigolBlue
      12:52 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Needs to work on his shot selection. He rushes too much because Cal and his staff tell him he needs to shoot fast in the NBA. Just like how EJ and Reid brick every perimeter shot they take

• 4everUKblue
      7:31 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

You’re such a POS Bigoldumass/slater/combatmedic!

• BigolBlue
      11:05 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for the personal attack 4 ever. Appreciate it

19. katmandue2you
    1:13 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I’m with you RealCatsFan and for the very same reason! BBBanana sounds way beyond cool to me! I happen to be from west Ky as well BBBanana. Both you dudes could spread a great deal of wisdom around these KSR parts.

20. BluKudzu
    7:59 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

I am certain racism exists. It is nurtured in an environment of hate, due to fear and ignorance.
    Racism is not the only avenue of shame we have to eradicate.
    We have to remove the hate people have against gender, sexual orientation, religion, political position, etc., which all share the common ground with racism.
    Ignorance and fear, leading to unjustifiable hate.
    Step up your game folks. It is time.
    Herro can play. He is Blue and White, a UK Wildcat, and I am thankful we have him, and all the players representing UK.

• Irish son
      5:03 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

I guess you’re a Republican that roots for all those young black men that play for UK? I’m sure that’s the ONLY time you would root for them

• cats646
      7:59 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

I’ve made up my mind, you’re a b!tch.

• Soylentbeans
      8:38 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

Irish son please explain your comment.

21. ukcats1776.90
    8:10 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

the soft bigotry of race based expectations – something Democrats often do…white guys cannot play basketball and cutting welfare is bad for black people

22. natedaddy
    11:39 am January 29, 2019 Permalink

Saw the headline and immediately went to the comment section. I bet most people did the same.

• Soylentbeans
      8:37 pm January 29, 2019 Permalink

I read the article first but was def ready to get in to this comment section.