Tyler Herro, Bam Adebayo to wear “Black Lives Matter” on jerseys in Orlando

(@MiamiHEAT)

(@MiamiHEAT)

Former Kentucky stars Tyler Herro and Bam Adebayo will be using their platforms to fight for social justice when the NBA returns to play later this month.

Herro and Adebayo, two of the Miami Heat’s brightest young stars, will be wearing “Black Lives Matter” on the back of their jerseys as part of the NBA’s push back against systemic racism.

The former told NBA reporters today he has a voice and wants to use it to promote a cause he has publicly stood behind since protests began several months back. As for the latter, he is not currently with the team in Orlando – there is speculation Adebayo is one of three Heat players to test positive for COVID-19 and will be joining the team at a later date – but he has also been outspoken about his overwhelming support of the movement.

“I‘m just standing behind the Black Lives Matter movement,” Herro told NBA reporters on Wednesday. “I stand behind it and support it. And I feel I have a voice and a platform to be able to push it and that’s what I’m going to continue to do.”

“We should, and I will, always, always tell people that Black Lives Matter,” Adebayo said in a statement released by the Heat back in June. “Because they do.”

In fact, Adebayo was previously on the fence of playing in the NBA’s restart in Orlando amid the social unrest.

“I’m the dude that’s on the fence,” the Heat center said back in June. “I understand that we want to be in the middle of protests with our bodies and we want people to know that we’re there supporting Black Lives Matter, which I’m 100% about. And I’m 100% about going to the bubble and doing it on national television where everybody sees it.”

The pair of former Wildcats are just two of 16 players sporting social justice messages on the back of their jerseys, with All-Star guard Jimmy Butler being the lone player opting against a specific phrase.

Instead, he is attempting to wear a blank name plate to stress he is “no different than anybody else of color.”

“I want that to be my message in the sense that just because I’m an NBA player, everybody has the same right no matter what,” Butler said in a statement. “… I’m with Black Lives Matter and all the phrases that they chose to put on the back of the jersey. But for me, it’s a lot more about action and continuing to learn and teach the people around me and doing what I can in my community.”

Here is the list of Heat players and the phrases they will be sporting on the back of their jerseys:

NBA players are allowed to select words and phrases from the following list curated by the NBA and NBPA:

• Black Lives Matter
  • Say Their Names
  • I Can’t Breathe
  • Justice
  • Peace
  • Equality
  • Freedom
  • Enough
  • Power to the People
  • Justice Now
  • Say Her Name
  • Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can)
  • Liberation
  • How Many More
  • Group Economics
  • Education Reform
  • Mentor

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

43 Comments for Tyler Herro, Bam Adebayo to wear “Black Lives Matter” on jerseys in Orlando

1. VilleCat11
    12:38 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Wow…

• VilleCat11
      12:42 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Had not seen the list of available sayings..

• lexattorney
      12:09 am July 17, 2020 Permalink

I said this earlier and it was deleted: there should be no list! Either allow players to display any message or support for ANY group of his choosing or allow NOTHING on jerseys except players’ names and numbers.

Let’s see if the snowflakes delete it again since it doesn’t fit into their “agree with us or lose your freedom of speech and be censored” philosophy.

• PensacolaCat
      9:31 am July 17, 2020 Permalink

I won’t be watching so I could care less

2. UK Big Board Update
    12:54 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m just here for the triggered MAGA snowflake comments. LMFAO

• lexattorney
      8:51 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

And THIS “MAGA snowflake comment is still here and allowed to go uncensored?

• lexattorney
      9:00 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

*”MAGA snowflake”

3. StoneColdSaidSo
    1:34 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

KSR has to be doing this for the memes at this point.

4. VirginiaCat
    2:19 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

I don’t fault Tyler or Bam. They are caught up in a national PC contagion vortex that is championed by left wing influence peddlers who are amplified by liberal celebrities, academia, and the news media. I would ask young people to think it through and understand that BLM offers no sustainable remedies while failing to address malignant problems within the black community. You can’t successfully address a problem if underlying factors are ignored. Of what real value is defunding the police, tearing down statues, and removing names from buildings? Any benefits are marginal at best and, in some cases, the cure will be worse than the disease. It does nothing to reverse the ongoing destruction of the black family unit (77% of babies are raised in single parent household, mostly headed by young female who are under-educated and lacking in marketable skills). It does nothing to address black-on black homicides-that are at epidemic levels. Young people can carry BLM signs or wear BLM on their uniforms, but what good does that really do? Nothing will change until we get down to the hard work of honestly identifying and addressing issues that matter.

• DelrayCat
      2:32 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

It is completely disingenuous to cast all the blame on the African American community…and yet, so typical. Have you not seen some of these videos of the police totally abusing their authority? Do you not think the militarization of our police force is a problem? The recent protests would have died down rather quickly had it not been for the HUNDREDS of videos of police using completely unnecessary violence against peaceful protesters and the media…in one case gassing hundreds of people just so the president could get a photo op in front of a church. Others showed the police running over protesters in their cars or actually destroying their own vehicles and breaking store windows just so people could more easily loot. Both sides have bad elements that need to be addressed. Thank God Joe Biden will be on the job in a few months to help solves these problems!

• UKFanSC
      2:51 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Yes….race relations can be improved, but not following the asinine script the BLM and it’s misguided naive 20 somethings are espousing. Defunding police, ripping statues of Lincoln and Washington from their foundations, taking over cities, race-shaming, and shoving leftist BS down people’s throats will never ever succeed. Sooner you accept that the better off you’ll be. Biden is not the answer, he is a demented old man who is decades past his prime and has political baggage to boot. Take a look at what’s happening in NYC and tell me defunding police is working. Police are as essential to civilized society as hospitals, fire departments, schools, or churches. Only people who hate them are lawbreakers, understandably.

• PensacolaCat
      9:30 am July 17, 2020 Permalink

If you think the country is better off after the BLM movement, then you are no friend of the US

5. runningunnin.454
    2:25 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Wow, thanks Jack for moderating my comment; why did it offend you? Especially several minutes after the fact. I don’t like censorship. Likewise, if a TV station wants to show a movie, but they feel it should be censored…then maybe they shouldn’t put it on.
    Sad, and unAmerican. Over 20 comments now down to five? Freedom of speech; put them back, please.

6. UKFanSC
    2:30 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

The first thing Tyler Herro does every morning is shake his fist at the sky for being born white, so it doesn’t surprise me that he has taken an active position in BLM. That’s certainly consistent with everything we know about him. His clothes, girlfriend, music, hair, speech, and behaviors are black. For all intents and purposes he’s as black as Bam.
    Not disrespecting him or his decision to join the movement….but no surprise here.

• lizard king
      2:32 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Glad to see he is ashamed of being white, if only we all could do that.

• DelrayCat
      2:33 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

You people make me sick.

• wolfmans uncle
      4:20 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

What do you mean “you people”? Your racism makes me sick.

• danielscott52
      6:16 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

What do you want him to be like ? Wearing overalls, listening to bluegrass? He’s not from your little country town. He acts like every 18-19 year old .stupid comment

7. lizard king
    2:33 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Is there no free speech here other than what 1 side says

8. runningunnin.454
    2:35 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

All I said was I may not agree with Lizard King’s comment; but, I defend his right to say it. Besides, that’s a cool user name…Jim Morrison rocked.
    Anyone want to discuss music?

• lizard king
      2:52 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Music today is terrible. Take me to 40s-89. 90s isn’t much better

• runningunnin.454
      3:14 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Excuse me, have to put down my big Martin D-28; was rockin’ to John Fogerty, another of my favs. Yep, agree today’s music is terrible.
      BTW, did you know, before CCR, they had another group, the Blue Velvets? John’s older brother, Tom, was the front man, and sang lead vocals…pretty good voice, too. Of course the music was more in line with ’60 to ’62 songs…like Roy Orbison. There was another incarnation before CCR, the Golliwogs. By then, John had become the lead vocalist.

9. lizard king
    2:37 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

So Joe Biden will fix everything. Does he even remember where he put his depends or what year it is.

10. lizard king
    2:42 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Is ksr a nba affiliate

A person tried to personalize an nba jersey and say freehongkong but the wouldn’t, but you can put freeusa, freemexico, free anything but
    Freehongkong
    Shame nba is a sellout

11. lexattorney
    2:47 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

LMAO…so I guess freedom of speech also doesn’t apply to those who disagree with the writers on this site. Well, it’s been nice but you just lost a listener/reader.

• peaches76
      3:12 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Yep. I’ve been censored trying to exercise my 1st amendment right. Must’ve been deemed a racist or terrorist comment. Ridiculous

• UKFanSC
      3:28 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Say it ain’t so lex….you are frequently the only adult in the room !

• lexattorney
      8:50 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

No, check that…I will not be censored and driven away and actually am grateful to these Marxist snowflakes for further proving my point that they truly believe that if you disagree with them you have no freedom of speech. If everyone who encountered their vitriol simply quit then our country really would fall. I will, therefore, continue to exercise my RIGHT to free speech here and hold them accountable every time they try to censor it.

• UKFanSC
      11:35 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Here here !!!

• mcp157
      6:03 pm July 17, 2020 Permalink

I could care less if Tyler wants to be more black like or not. He is a 20 year old immature kid. BLM is not anything that a real person of moral fiber, like MLK, would admit believing in. Period! George Sonos and the Marxist movement smiles every time the lemmings follow that Pied Piper music.

12. jaws2
    3:58 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Tyler can decide to wear whatever he wants; it’s still (but going down fast) a free country. As such, I can give a damn about what he or anyone in the NBA does. Haven’t for years and I can assure you I haven’t missed a thing. I certainly am proud of the stance Davis took. This is all about the money with the NBA. They and the players are catching this blowing wind of discontent and expect to profit nicely from the additional sales of jersey’s due to their PC stance.
    DelRay YOU make me sick. Touche. No one here totally blames the black community for this. But anyone that wants to know the truth can easily be educated on the subject at their leisure, Please do yourself a favor and read some of Shelby Steele’s book White Guilt, or just search for some of his interviews. He’s a black man raised on the south side of Chicago in the 60’s and coined the phrase. He points directly at the ‘white guilt’ crowd for leading the charge to destroy the black families in America. You can’t possible support the BLM movement unless you are a marxist, communist, and want to destroy the nuclear black family. Just read their own website and enlighten yourself. If, you want top be enlightened.

• UKFanSC
      4:06 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Bingo

• SADmaninKy
      10:32 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Shelby Steele is a must read, along with other black conservatives. May I suggest looking up http://www.1776unites.com , a website featuring black scholars’ writings. Shelby Steele is one of the featured scholars. Another is Wilfred Reilly, an Associate Professor of Political Science at Kentucky State University, who is an excellent writer and communicator.

13. VirginiaCat
    6:34 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

DelrayCat: I think you read my post with a selective filter. I did not “cast all the blame” on the black community. My point is that we cannot solve problems unless we adopt an objective and balanced approach. We have to adopt a 360 degree perspective that addresses all relevant factors. That is hard to do when political correctness constructs barriers that mandate a narrow view. Neither liberals of conservatives own THE truth. We need to step away from massive pandering and name calling and discern how best to move forward in a meaningful way. We need level headed people to take the lead, not overwrought partisans who can only see one side. My unsolicited and gratuitous suggestion is for you to open your mind a little and be receptive to ideas that may challenge your set views.

14. ziplock
    7:10 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

The problem is that Marxist intentionally use the Hegelian Dialectic method of discourse. I don’t like to use Wikipedia but this part under Dialectic sums it up “Dialectic may thus be contrasted with both the eristic, which refers to argument that aims to successfully dispute another’s argument (rather than searching for truth), or the didactic method, wherein one side of the conversation teaches the other. Dialectic is alternatively known as minor logic, as opposed to major logic or critique.” Marxists basically just name call and threaten to get their way. https://unconstrainedanalytics.org/report-re-remembering-the-mis-remembered-left-the-lefts-strategy-and-tactics-to-transform-america/

15. jaws2
    9:43 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

ziplock. Please do no bring any logic, or foundational truths here. DelRay, Han, and UK little Board will attempt to shut you down.
    No facts are allowed here. Hell, if they get your ‘social’ address they attempt to cancel culture you. It’s the only thing the left’s got. It’s truly the marxist way. You’re obviously a racist in their eyes, so there’s that.

• lexattorney
      12:05 am July 17, 2020 Permalink

It’s not the DelRays and Hans you have to worry about on here, it’s the writers/moderators of this site. They fully support the Marxist agenda that opposes free speech. I made 3 posts this afternoon stating the fact that the snowflakes’ philosophy states that everyone has the right to free speech until it differs from their opinions. Guess what…all 3 posts were deleted along with 3/4 of this thread!

16. catdaddyd
    10:18 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Marxist Lives Matter

17. Jpcat15
    11:50 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Black Lives Matter is a reasonable slogan. However, the organization Black Lives Matter is a terrorist organization. Their website and leaders don’t shy away from this fact. If you support them, you are a terrorist, as well. I don’t support terrorism and my guess is less than 5% of folks have even looked at their website and mission statement.

• CatManDo
      7:42 am July 17, 2020 Permalink

Everyone I know agrees that black lives matter but I am having a difficult time finding anyone who agrees with Black Lives Matter.

• UKFanSC
      2:44 pm July 17, 2020 Permalink

Well said

18. The Big Lebowski
    4:35 am July 18, 2020 Permalink

Black Lives Matter is now a White LGBTQ Marxist movement.

It’s a bunch of ignorant White children running around screaming slogans while having little to no understanding of the issues or life.

19. Eddiemcwildcat
    1:08 pm July 18, 2020 Permalink

Its funny when you post anything anti liberal it gets deleted . Ill get my moneys worth this time…the liberals that run this site are trash. The left is further ruining this country everyday. You’re all a bunch of spineless cowards. All lives matter dumbasses. That includes black, white, asian, hispanic and anyone else. It also includes unborn babies. Vote Republican in November. Kill the marxist revolution. Oh yea these lib writers can kiss my red ass!