America, we’ve made it. By the end of the night (hopefully), we will know who our next president is, and the long national nightmare that has been this election will finally be over. I don’t know about you guys, but it feels like this mess has been going on since the dawn of time. I know better than to get into politics on here; not only do I not care who you’re voting for, nothing I could say would sway you either way. I’ll just say this: do actually vote. Our country was built on the principle that everyone’s voice matters, and if you’re a woman, we’ve only been able to do it since 1920. See, John Calipari and Ellen are doing it:
— Hillary Thornton (@HillaryWKYT) November 8, 2016
With that said, I’m logging off Facebook for the day and saying a little prayer for humanity. Here are the top ten things you need to get through the day.
1. Mark Stoops explained that cowboy quote
Mark Stoops wrapped up his press conference on Monday with this quote: “Don’t ever quit your cattle on a stormy night.” That left plenty of sportswriters confused, and on his radio show, Stoops explained it’s an old cowboy saying his golfing buddy likes to use whenever they play.
“If you’re a cowboy, you can’t quit your cattle. You can’t quit your cattle on a stormy night,” Stoops said. You’re going to stick together, you’re going to stay the course.”
You know you’re a 90’s kid when that quote automatically makes you think of Curly from “City Slickers.”
2. Tennessee will be without its star kickoff returner Saturday
Evan Berry suffered a knee injury in the Vols’ win over Tennessee Tech on Saturday and will be out for the season. He’s second in the nation in kickoff returns with a 32.9 yard average, and he also plays safety, so this is a legitimate blow for the Vols. Hate to see a kid get hurt, but we’ll take any help we can get on Saturday.
3. UK’s game vs. Austin Peay will kick off at 4:30 p.m. on November 19
That’s good news for those of you who love night games but don’t want to be freezing cold or get home at 2 a.m. If you’re not able to make it to Kentucky’s Senior Day in person, the game will be televised on the SEC Network.
4. John Wall got ejected from a game last night for bumping a ref’s shoulder
After setting the Wizards’ franchise record for career assists with 3,823, John Wall got kicked out of last night’s game vs. the Rockets for bumping a referee’s shoulder:
John Wall was ejected tonight for THIS!?
– Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) November 8, 2016
5. What’s Karl Towns doing wearing Devin Booker’s jersey?
— Devin Booker (@DevinBook) November 7, 2016
I don’t know, but I love how Karl is striking a Devin-esque pose while wearing it.
6. ICYMI, PJ Washington will announce his decision on Thursday
The fall signing period starts tomorrow and it’s shaping up to be a huge one for Kentucky. Yesterday, PJ Washington shared that he will announce his decision on Thursday during ESPNU’s Signing Day Special, which starts at 6 p.m. I’ll have a full preview of the Signing Period for you tonight, but here’s a quick rundown of who’s announcing when:
- Thursday, Nov. 10: PJ Washington, John Petty, Nick Richards
- Saturday, Nov. 19 (although he could sign papers before): Quade Green
- No date set, but could still announce in the fall: Shai Alexander, Lonnie Walker, Trae Young
After visiting Kentucky this past weekend, Alexander is very likely to commit this week. Check the site tonight for a detailed rundown and my predictions on who the Cats will land.
7. This video of a snake getting loose in an airplane is terrifying
– ABC News (@ABC) November 7, 2016
Maybe no one else on that plane had spotted it yet, but how is everyone so calm?!
8. Did you see last night’s “Hey Kentucky!” Election Special?
If not, enjoy the clip below:
9. I’m interviewing Ashley Gorley for my podcast today
Gorley is a Danville native, huge UK fan, and also happens to be one of the most successful songwriters in Nashville. Last week, John Calipari presented him with the ASCAP Songwriter of the Year award, and Ashley has invited me out to his studio to talk about it. If you have any questions for Gorley, send them my way @MrsTylerKSR.
I’ll also check in with Jennifer Palumbo, who will tease her interview with John and Ellen Calipari, which is scheduled to air on Wednesday night:
– Jennifer Palumbo (@JenNimePalumbo) November 8, 2016
10. Vote for Lori Thompson Finke for Danville School Board
I’ll conclude with one personal Election Date note: my sister, Lori Thompson Finke, is running for school board in Danville, and if you live in the Danville school district, she’d sure appreciate your vote. I’ve been told her platform includes making sure KSR isn’t blocked on school computers and allowing students to listen to the radio show from 10 a.m. to noon. (That’s not true at all, but you should vote for her anyways.)