Tubby Smith introduced at High Point

Tubby Smith has come full circle. This morning, the former Kentucky coach was introduced as the new head coach at High Point, where he played from 1969-73. Here’s the video High Point shared welcoming Tubby home:

This will be Tubby’s seventh head coaching job. Before coming to Kentucky, he got his start at Tulsa and Georgia. After leaving Lexington, he coached at Minnesota, Texas Tech, and Memphis. In his two years at Memphis, he was 40-26. Over his entire 27-year coaching career, he is 597-302.

Coincidentally, the UK Maker’s Mark bottle featuring Tubby and the 1998 National Championship team will be released on Friday. If you missed it, here are details on where to get one:

Maker’s Mark bottle featuring Tubby Smith and 1998 Championship set to release on April 6

Best of luck to Tubby in this new chapter.

[mobile_ad]

19 Comments for Tubby Smith introduced at High Point

1. 2012
    1:18 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Bring High Point to Rupp!!!

2. Go_Wildcats_Go
    1:22 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Nice! Happy for Tubby and for High Point.

3. TampaGreg
    1:29 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Great video – Great story – Congratulations Coach Tubby Smith

4. katfan33
    1:35 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Good for Tubby. Very class guy. Now get HP to Rupp so we can get Tubby’s name up in the rafters!!

5. Big J
    1:37 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Yes, bring High Point to Rupp and put Coach Smith in the rafters.

6. bigbluehank
    1:48 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Congrats to Tubby! Great coach and great ambassador for the program during his time at Kentucky!

7. marion county
    1:49 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

So happy for Tubby. He is one classy man and the most down to earth coach we have had. It time Tubby is in the rafters at Rupp. Its been 20 years. Thats more than enough time. Hard to believe Cal wont be there in 2032. Congrats Coach.

8. lexslamman
    1:59 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Definitely time to put Tubby up in the rafters.

9. henderblue
    2:17 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Good to see all the positive comments on Tubby above. Yes let’s put him in the rafters. He’s deserving of it

10. kyball
    2:18 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

What a fitting tribute. For me, Tubby will always be my favorite coach. I realize he didn’t have the recruiting success we “demand” as a fanbase, but you cannot find a nicer, more genuine human being. If I had a child who was blessed to be able to play college ball, Tubby would be at the top of my list. He and his wife Donna are true patrons of this sport. UK vs HIGH POINT at Rupp has to happen.

11. Aar
    2:39 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

I’m less the 30 minutes from HPU. Need to go share some Big Blue goodwill next season.

12. peaches76
    2:58 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

We bring High Point in then everyone that bitches about the non-conference Home schedule can go nuts..

13. Alleykat16
    4:26 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Very happy for Tubby. He has always coached the right way. Never heard of shady things going on were he coached. I believe he deserves to be out in the rafters at Rupp. He always shined a positive light on this program. It would be nice to bring his team here for a couple years to help him out and to honor him

• Flake
      11:21 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Agree, he totally out-coached Coach K in the elite 8 game, Duke was out of timeouts, and during the Cats comeback, Duke had no way to stop the clock to halt the momentum or even make a substitution, Tubby knew it and just let the Cats keep playing. As I recall even the Duke backer Billy Packer noted that in the broadcast. And 2 comebacks from double digit deficits in the final 4 speak to his ability to make in game adjustments.

• Flake
      11:22 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

Sorry, was to respond to Chris Gettelfinger post

14. Flake
    5:07 pm March 27, 2018 Permalink

My son and I went to the father son UK camps in the mid 90’s. Went to a couple in Pitino’s last two years, then 2 when Tubby was coach. The players were always great with the kids, under both coaches, we barely saw Pitino at his camps, but Tubby and his staff really interacted with the campers. I remember what a nice person he was, and his assistants, especially Mike Sutton, were super nice as well. A great experience for my son and myself, and great memories.

15. I’m happy for Tubby. I don’t care what anyone says. His coaching was a big part of 98.

16. Cryingtheblues
    4:18 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Happy for Tubby! He’s a classy guy!