Travel agency scammed my favorite UK fans

If you’ve ever attended a UK basketball game outside of Rupp Arena, there is a good chance you’ve spotted a beautiful group of women wearing matching blue sweaters. I travel to several road games every year and I can’t think of a time I haven’t seen this group cheering on the Cats behind enemy lines (even in the Bahamas).

Photo: Facebook

They’re awesome. I love them. And that is why I’m ready to kick doors down to get to the bottom of this con job they say scammed them out of thousands of dollars.

Barbara Coleman told LEX18 the group contacted Attorney General Andy Beshear about their travel agency, ‘Travel Crazy.’ They’ve used the agency for years, but this past season the agency canceled three separate trips within days of departure, costing the group lots of money. The agency’s owner, Kenn Harp, is now being sued after more complaints have come forward.

Hear more from Coleman on the scam in her interview with LEX18:

This is infuriating.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Travel agency scammed my favorite UK fans

1. gobble gobble
    11:37 am May 9, 2018 Permalink

What an arse… luckily a few thousand bucks likely isn’t a huge financial loss for these lovely ladies$$$

2. Cokely53
    11:52 am May 9, 2018 Permalink

People still use travel agents? Probably had to scam them because they were the only ones using their business. Shame to hear that. I’ve been scammed on tickets before. It’s infuriating.

• ClutchCargo
      3:15 pm May 9, 2018 Permalink

Travel agents are actually still the best way to book travel, even better than going through the websites of hotels, airlines, etc. They are privy to the best deals in advance of the general public and can make last minute changes and get extra perks that you and I wouldn’t even know about. The firm I work for has some in-house travel agents that I use quite a bit, even for personal travel.

• timbo
      3:34 pm May 9, 2018 Permalink

That was true ten years ago, it is not anymore…at least for airline travel. There obviously has to be a markup for that business to exist and airlines have found direct marketing/sales (notice they all sell through their own websites now?) to be incredibly more beneficial to the bottom line. Especially true when they can up-sell you to a “better” seat or other fixed fee revenue stream. The legacy carriers (United, American, Delta, etc.) have complicated algorithms that determine price at any moment of any given day and are the reason you may pay $200 less for the same seat as your neighbor on the same flight. Only through direct sales (website) can they maintain that control over what are (surprisingly to most) very small margins per passenger.

3. J-Dub421
    12:07 pm May 9, 2018 Permalink

Anyone scamming little old ladies is the worst.

4. oruacat2
    12:14 pm May 9, 2018 Permalink

I remember that guy from the old UK forums (WCN, mostly) and I’m not surprised at all.

I hope those ladies get their money back.

5. Alleykat16
    12:15 pm May 9, 2018 Permalink

Hate seeing this but welcome to 2018. People find it easier making money by stealing than by working these days more and more.

6. secrick
    1:09 pm May 9, 2018 Permalink

Not only Basketball games but these ladies attend all kind of Kentucky sporting events.

7. ClutchCargo
    1:23 pm May 9, 2018 Permalink

Not sure about the word “scam” being used here, but definitely terrible business practices. It would be the weakest scam ever if it was done by someone you have dealt with for years and everyone involved immediately knew about it. Still, this guy needs to be made to refund the fees + something for everyone’s trouble..

8. The Professor
    3:57 pm May 9, 2018 Permalink

I am surprised that you would say these ladies were “scammed”. The media always uses some form of the word “allege” to protect themselves from lawsuits.

9. fairplay
    5:15 pm May 9, 2018 Permalink

Alleged my arse. The crook took $4,000 from me and I got no travel, no tickets and no lodging!