Top 5 Moments from Coach Cal Team USA Press Conference

Photo: FIBA

Photo: FIBA

Admitting when he’d been out-coached

Coach Calipari wasn’t afraid to say that Team USA’s loss to Canada was no fluke, “Yesterday we really got outplayed, out coached, everything” he admitted, but added that he was proud of his guys for bouncing back the next day, “You come back and you play like we played, you know this guy here, Immanuel, he played out of his mind… he came like ok that’s done, bounce back, let’s play.”

Talking about his Kentucky boys

“I learned a lot about PJ and Hami both some strengths and weaknesses, you saw I did some stuff with Hami at the end cuz he was struggling and I wanted him to know ‘I’m with you, I’m with you, I’m gunna help you but you gotta let me coach you.'” Doesn’t that just warm your heart? Calipari will always look out for his Wildcats.

Talking about using his Kentucky coaching technique

Even though, for the FIBA U19 Tournament, Coach Calipari was the head of the USA Team he let us know he never takes off his UK coaching hat. “I approached this just, so you know, like I was coaching my Kentucky team,” saying that he coaches each player individually, so they know the game is about them.

Announcing he’s a proud Italian

When asked who he thought would win the Canada v Italy game, he said coyly that he was friends with the Canadian coach but reminded everyone he was a duel-citizen of both the U.S and Italy. “I’m gunna keep it to myself but I’m an Italian citizen,” Calipari smiled.

Reminding us that Big Blue Nation is all that matters

Calipari switched gears when asked about what he will take back home from the tournament. Hamidou Diallo and PJ Washington are already Wildcats and Calipari said after the tournament, he has a better idea on how to coach them. “I think those two will be outstanding, I can’t wait to get back to my team.” Aww BBN missed you too.

Bonus Moment

(If you go to minute 2:32 you can hear Calipari say “oh shit” when he finds out a Draft Express reporter is about to question him)

Article written by Sofie Tapia

9 Comments for Top 5 Moments from Coach Cal Team USA Press Conference

1. binarysolo
    7:18 pm July 9, 2017 Permalink

Well, you gotta hand it to Cal, he’s being very transparent about how he used the FIBA U19 tournament as a glorified training trip for Diallo and Washington. As a UK fan I’m fine with it, but I can’t imagine it sitting well with anyone else.

• Luether
      7:30 pm July 9, 2017 Permalink

Many thought winning the tournament should have been the primary focus…

• binarysolo
      7:46 pm July 9, 2017 Permalink

^^ Found the “anyone else”.

2. jim tom
    9:30 pm July 9, 2017 Permalink

Play Zone = beat Cal.

• BBNDan7
      10:19 pm July 9, 2017 Permalink

You complain a lot for someone with no coaching experience

• UK Big Board Update
      11:29 pm July 9, 2017 Permalink

Go to UL = have banners vacated

ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!!! 😉

• UK Big Board Update
      12:23 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

FYI: jim tom posts under the same name on the Louisville message boards.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:24 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

jim tom October 5, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Matt Jones is the most childish sports person that has been on radio or TV.And for him to have the following he has in the “big bleu”nation is very telling about the IQ of the UK fanatics.I listened today just to know for sure what a low life he is.

He ranted on about Pitino having to go because even if Pitino didn’t know about it,he is the man at the top and has to take responsibility for it as coach.This from the same person that has said again and again that Cal carried none of the blame for the seasons being pulled at Memphis and UMass.Matt is the same “UK Hero” that convicted Chris Jones when the first report came out.

To answer your question as to why would a whore lie.Matt. it’s about money.

I know something wrong happened but I would like find the facts before believing a whore that pimps her own underage daughters.

• runningunnin.454
      8:59 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Cal’s winning record at UK is 82.5%, 4 out of 8 years his winning % has been in the top 5 in the country.
      But, we have a lot of people on here that think they could do better.
      They probably couldn’t coach Tee-Ball.