tony-delk

Congrats to Tony Delk, who has been named Kentucky’s 2014 Allstate SEC Basketball Legend.  Delk and the representatives from the other SEC schools will be honored at the SEC Tournament in Atlanta this March.

Here’s the blurb from the SEC’s press release:

KENTUCKY — Tony Delk, Guard, 1993-96
First-team All-America and SEC Player of the Year as a senior … Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA Final Four and the Midwest Regional in leading UK to the 1996 national championship … Led the Wildcats in scoring three straight years … First-team All-SEC his last two seasons, also third-team All-America as a junior and second-team All-SEC as a sophomore … UK career leader in three-pointers, second in career steals, and fifth in career scoring … Team had a four-year record of 119-18, with four berths in the NCAA Tournament and two trips to the Final Four, including one national title … Played 10 seasons in the NBA.

Here’s the entire 2014 SEC Legends class: Eddie Phillips, Alabama; Clint McDaniel, Arkansas; Gerald White, Auburn; Greg Stolt, Florida; D.A. Layne, Georgia; Tony Delk, Kentucky; Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (Chris Jackson), LSU; Ansu Sesay, Ole Miss; Erick Dampier, Mississippi State; John Brown, Missouri; Gary Gregor, South Carolina; Dr. Ed Wiener, Tennessee; Dr. John Thornton, Texas A&M; and Matt Freije, Vanderbilt.

Now can we please retire his jersey??

20 Comments for Tony Delk will be UK’s Allstate SEC Basketball Legend this year at the SEC Tournament

1. Come on man
    11:56 am January 22, 2014 Permalink

No doubt. Look at those credentials. Retire it now!!!

2. John
    12:04 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Are those Adidas shorts?
    I know the denims were Converse, then I thought we went to NIKE.

• Blue Moses
      12:18 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

They were Apex shorts.

3. Chicken
    12:09 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

One of my Top 5 favorite Cats:

Delk
    Patterson
    Davis
    Padgett
    Sheppard

• Matter of Perspective
      12:56 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

It is interesting to see the perspective that others have when naming favorite players. It is also easy to figure out the general age of a particular poster based on the players selected. Of course everyone will be biased to the players of their era, so to speak, therefore there is no such thing as a right or wrong favorites list. However, once again, it is interesting to see the perspective of others.

For example, since I am obviously much older than you, my list would only include one of the players on your list. Anthony Davis may be the best individual player to have ever played at UK and of course would make almost any list. I really enjoyed watching Delk and one could certainly make a case for him being in the upper echelon of UK players, however he could not crack my top five. As for Patterson, Padgett and Sheppard they were all fine players and likeable guys…..but none are even on my radar of favorite UK players.

In addition to Davis I know that I would include Dan Issel Jamal Mashburn and Kevin Grevey on my list. After that, I would really need to give a lot of thought as to who would be the fifth player. Geez…Dampier, Riley, Nash, Givens, Walker….I do not know? Lots of others to consider as well.

• Matter of Perspective
      1:00 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Notwithstanding my post above, I agree that Delk deserves to have his jersey retired.

• Rockfield, KY
      1:28 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

I never got to see the 1978 team play or see Kevin Grevey play, but I imagine those would have been some of my favorite players. My dad says Grevey was automatic and James Lee was the meanest guy to play at Kentucky.

• Matter of Perspective
      2:29 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Rockfield,

Your Dad is correct, Grevey was almost automatic. Also, pressure did not bother him.
      Grevey’s team had five highly touted freshman that came in together in the 1971-1972 season. At that time freshmen were not eligible to play on the varsity team. Coach Hall’s first year was 1972-1973, Grevey’s sophomore season.The 1974-1975 season was the first in Rupp Arena, and that was Grevey’s senior year. That team was fun to watch because at that time the game, for the most part, was still played at a face paced tempo. They should have won the championship in ’75, and I will always believe they would have except for two factors: 1) the final four was played in southern California…not far from UCLA’s campus, and 2) John Wooden announced his retirement. At one point in the game Wooden walked way out onto the floor to protest a call. Instead of calling a T on him the Ref put his arm around his back and escorted him back to his bench. I always thought that Hall should have protested until they either called a T on Wooden or a T on him. Either way, that game would have always been remembered very differently.

As for the 1978 team, by that time the college game had become a slug fest. Games were “power” knock down, drag out fights in the paint, thanks primarily to the Big East. Therefore, I never really enjoyed watching the 1978 team, or to be honest that entire era of the college game, nearly as much as before or after. That is also likely the reason why I was never a fan of Joe Hall’s coaching. I just despise watching games with a final score is in the 40’s. Many of Hall’s teams scored in the teens or low 20’s during the first half….it was dreadful to watch.

BTW, your Dad was also correct about James Lee, he was built like a brick wall and also had a mean streak. Not many would take a charge from him. LOL!

• Chicken
      4:53 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Matter of Perspective:

Yes sir my “favorite players list” is surely biased and as you can tell I’m in my late 20s. And yeah, guys like Mashburn and Issel are obvioulsy the best of the best (or so I’ve heard). However, my list isn’t just about who was better or put up better stats. For example, Cousins or Terrence Jones are no doubt better individual players than say… Jorts? Wayne Turner? but Jorts would rank higher on my list of favorite players due to other preferential intagibles. (Not a knock on Cousins at all).

Man, I have too much time on my hands.

4. etownblue
    12:10 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Since UK continues to drag its feet on this and others, I think its time we fans put pressure to make it happen. A website maybe? get students to hand out flyers in front of Rupp at every game? email blasts at Mitch? any other ideas?

5. BUCats
    12:13 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Favorite cat of all time. Probably won’t be topped since our guys don’t stay long enough to become beloved like TD00.

6. binarysolo
    12:20 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Speaking of, are we still gonna see a throwback uni night that was mentioned in the pre-season?

• Rockfield, KY
      1:29 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Since the 90’s fashion is back in style, we should bring those unis back with the same shoes too. Then Willie would probably cheer back up.

7. Greg
    12:39 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

It’s crazy that Delk’s jersey is hanging in the rafters. He made much more impact than some that are up there.

8. Blue
    1:04 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Absolutely deserved. And I love those uni’s.

9. GoBigBlue
    1:24 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

I miss having some 4 year guys to get attached to. Delk was a sharpshooter, that’s for sure!

10. MN CAT
    1:44 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

How many players are that good on both the offensive and defensive sides? Not many.

11. JHA
    1:58 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

I forgot how ugly those uniforms were. What are people thinking about when they suit our players up in clown suits? With that said, hang his jersey and do it now. Tony Delk is way over due.

12. Chicago Chris
    4:06 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Me, I’d like to see thee unis as throwbacks. It would be a fun night.