Tony Delk on EJ Montgomery: “I think he’s staying in [the NBA Draft].”

IG: TonyDelk

IG: TonyDelk

Yesterday morning, former Kentucky basketball star Tony Delk posted on Instagram that he was “training and advising” current Wildcat forward EJ Montgomery during the NBA Draft process.

On Friday night, Jerry Tipton of the Herald-Leader caught up with Delk about his time with Montgomery, who said that he thinks the Kentucky freshman will ultimately leave his name in the NBA Draft.

“I think he’s staying in,” Delk said. “Just from what I’ve been hearing. He’s already had a couple workouts with teams. So I guess he’s got some good reports from GMs.”

While he added that he doesn’t believe the decision is set in stone, Delk did say that Tuesday would be a huge day for Montgomery and his future.

The reasoning? The 6-foot-11 forward will be participating in a Pro Day in Santa Monica, California, where several NBA teams will be in attendance to see what he has to offer.

“A lot of GMs will be there,” Delk said. “I think that will be the determining factor. They’ll get a chance to see him up close with other guys, and see how his shooting is, see how his lateral movement is, see how his ball-handling skills are.”

While he says he would “love” for the Fort Pierce, FL native to go back to Kentucky for a sophomore season and thinks he would have a tremendous year, Delk understands that the decision is entirely up to Montgomery. Teams love drafting on potential, and the ten-year NBA veteran certainly thinks he has a lot of it.

“I’ve talked to him and I’ve talked to mom and dad. Gave them words of encouragement and words of wisdom. It seems like it’s a him-decision,” he said. “I told him, ‘You don’t make a decision for your parents. This is your life. You have to hopefully make the right decision. Also knowing it’s a learning process. You’re still young. There’s a lot to learn. Hopefully, if he stays in, he gets drafted by the right organization.”

Montgomery has until Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. ET to withdraw from the NBA Draft and retain his college eligibility. With his Pro Day taking place on Tuesday, it looks like we’ll be seeing yet another decision at or close to the final deadline.

(Lexington Herald-Leader)

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

42 Comments for Tony Delk on EJ Montgomery: “I think he’s staying in [the NBA Draft].”

1. AFR0_SAMURAii
    11:17 am May 25, 2019 Permalink

Though EJ didn’t get a lot of college experience, we all know how the NBA goes for potential and EJ has a lot of potential so best of luck to him if he goes but if he comes back he needs to show the BBN more than potential and be the star we know he can be then up his draft stock for next year.

2. JT55
    11:32 am May 25, 2019 Permalink

This is the sad state basketball has come to. UK will have no chance next season unless they find some big guys.

• classof68
      12:06 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Kinda late to be hunting for big guys. Cal has lost his recruiting mojo. He doesn’t seem to care that his assistants aren’t doing as well on the recruiting trail as they used to. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

• mashburnfan1
      6:26 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

What about Jaden McDaniels, am sure we can beat out UW to get him. Maybe KSR will make a post about him some day.

3. catsfan27
    12:01 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

RJ Hampton making his decision Tuesday on ESPN’s Get Up!

• JT55
      12:40 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Unless he grows 5 inches before falls we don’t need him. Hes going to Kansas

• mashburnfan1
      4:18 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Actually we can use all we can get, we have no idea how good any of our players are. AH and IQ were average to below average most of last year, hope being a SO will make both better but we don’t know. PJ got better but Nick did not so no idea what we have with AH or IQ. All FR are a big ? as we should know by now. Some are great and some are average and some do nothing no matter the rankings. Right now we have no idea what we have this coming season.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      5:33 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

RJ Hampton already cut us out of his list bud

4. VirginiaCat
    12:29 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

If EJ stays in the draft, which seems increasingly likely, we will be left with a paltry front court. The continual loss of players–some who are ready for the NBA and most who are not–combined with the lackluster recruiting of big men, virtually guarantees a mediocre year. The trend is down by any objective standard. I know, I know, we’ll be fine. Trust in Cal.

• classof68
      12:56 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Hau Long is still available. He may be from China but heck, we’re desperate now.

• slangterm
      9:38 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

But for how long?

5. SanDiegoCats
    12:32 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Why does it seem that it’s only at Kentucky where players who didn’t accomplish much leave based on their “potential”?

• JT55
      12:41 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Because that’s how Cal recruits them. Anything less than 1 or two years and they think they’re a failure. Next years team is looking to have a very weak frontcourt.

• bluecrowe
      10:06 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Because instead of murals of Kentucky greats we have murals of all the Cal guys in their NBA uniforms on every square inch of the basketball facilities. Everywhere they look they are being encouraged to move on to the NBA. Somehow UNC keeps a majority of their kids. It is interesting.

6. kyle heavy
    1:00 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

?I don’t want any other coach than Coach Cal I love Kentucky basketball and him as the leader of the program; however, I have one beef… I see Montgomery is now likely staying in the draft. So, my question(s) is… Why don’t fill all 12 scholarships every single year? I ’m sure there’s a couple 3-star players from the state of Kentucky that would play their way into decent players by their sr year. Do 3-stars suck so bad they can’t even help in practice? I mean why are we giving away extra schollies each year to walk-ons? Can we build depth, please??

• classof68
      1:05 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

This happens every time a basketball school becomes a football school. Thanks a lot Stoops. Can you at least loan Vince Marrow to Cal part time to help out with recruiting. Especially since Cal’s busy trotting all over Europe on vacation?

7. Racerr11
    1:06 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

I know I know we have some very goofy goofy fans that have very little knowledge of sports in general. Cal has lost his mojo on recruiting is such a ridiculous statement. This recruiting class is ranked #2 so I guess K and all the rest behind us have lost there mojo. Please just don’t talk sports you embarrass yourself.

• VirginiaCat
      1:20 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

I guess the point is that Cal has had the best talent in college basketball for a couple of decades, yet, he has won only one championship in 23 years. Granted, that is more championships that most coaches ever achieve, but given the level of talent at his disposal, it gives the appearance of underachievement. It’s also important to look at trends and the trend since 2015 has not been good. We are no longer getting transformational players, i.e., Davis, Zion, etc., and we have been losing to clearly inferior teams in the tournament. Cal needs to do some objective self analysis and adjust his approach. Either that, our the BBN fan base needs to adjust its expectations accordingly.

• CatManDo
      1:42 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

The best freshman class isn’t the same as the best talent in all of basketball. Look at the FF teams this year, pretty much all upperclassmen. Duke had maybe the best class ever and should have lost in the second round. I agree it stinks that our players tend to leave when it seems if they were on other teams it wouldn’t even be a thought.

• classof68
      2:30 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

The proof is in the pudding (whatever that means). Just look at the performance the last 4 years. Not all that great compared to Cal’s first 6 years. And you have to consider Cal’s salary. He’s getting that humongous pay day in part because he can recruit at the highest level. But is he really doing that now? Being No. 2 in recruiting may not mean much if all you have is a lot of 6′-6′ five star players. I hope he can find another big man for this class but if Richards is his big man for next season, it’s going to be a long one.

8. JT55
    1:28 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Shooting for a 5 seed next season.

9. sharpshooter81
    1:32 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Montgomery staying in the draft is a huge mistake for the young man unless he is okay playing in the D league 90% of his career which will be short lived. Cal needs to quit being their friends and tell them you are not good enough to go yet.

10. Cousins Fake Tooth
    1:33 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

He wasn’t that good in college. He may get lucky and sniff a NBADL floor.

• mashburnfan1
      4:09 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Hard to show what you can do from the bench, Cal did not play him much. Even when we needed rim protection vs Auburn, stubborn Cal let him sit. dding Travis hurt this kids playing chances and NBA stock. Don’t under estimate other coaches showing that to top bigs we try to recruit. Guarantee they tell and show them how the grad transfer hurt the FR and now Cal just added another transfer this year.

11. syrin23
    1:34 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

We need to stop recruiting five star bigs unless they are 100% ready for the college game from day one live KAT and AD. All the rest never play well the single season they are at UK before leaving for the NBA to get drafted 57th and flame out, or before they transfer and flame out. Get some four star bigs who can develop and build some depth. We don’t need super stars. You can win with solid players. Villanova and Virginia are showing us the formula.

• mashburnfan1
      4:13 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Trouble is you never know how good any of these young men will be at this level of play until they get here. Richards was #1 rated C and a top pick in draft coming out of High School, now he sits on the bench and no NBA team wants him after 2 years here. We have no idea how good EJ is because Cal brought in Travis and played him over EJ, seems obvious the NBA scouts think he can play if he does stay. Sure they go by potential but if he has that potential he can play now at high college level, we just did not get to see it.

12. 8 god
    1:55 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Add him to the list of forgotten, waste-of-talent bigs with Vanderbilt, Humphries, Lee, Skal?

• madarchitect
      3:35 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

^^^ 3 out of 4 of these guys currently have NBA contracts.

• mashburnfan1
      4:15 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Those NBA contracts did nothing to help UK, those players did nothing here and only have contracts because of their size, not ability. I am sure Cal keeps track since those NBA deals are his priority, I still prefer titles.

• 8 god
      5:08 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

marcus lee is not in the NBA

• Skooms
      5:35 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

No he’s not, however the other 3 are.

13. tbolin50
    2:10 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

There is a big guy at Hillcrest prep uncommitted.His name is Carl Lewis true center looks pretty good to me

• Bruce Dickinson
      5:10 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

I haven’t heard of him, but I’m sure Cal is looking into many options at this point.

14. Heavy C
    2:21 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

You can bash those who are being critical all you want. But how many of you would be willing to bet on our chances of competing for a championship next year? Let me answer for you…NONE. Until the age limit rules change, we will be nothing but a mediocre rerun…year after year. And with EJ leaving…no size…Oh Yea. Gonna be awesome.

15. VirginiaCat
    4:11 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Trivia: “Proof of the pudding” is a shortened version of the original, “proof of the pudding is in the eating.” The shortened version makes no sense unless you know the full quote.

16. Han
    4:56 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully he comes back, but to those saying he’s an idiot for not coming back and improving his draft stock, well, SKJ and Richards both came back and it didn’t help them. Say what you want about their basketball IQ or their individual skills, but we’ve not had good luck with big men the last few years.

Since Towns left, our frosh and soph big men really haven’t lived up to expectations and we’ve all thought they should come back. (While at the same time, many of our fans roast Coach K for what he did with Bolden.) So what’s going on? Has Kenny Payne lost his touch? Do we need to bring in someone else to work with the big men? Or is Cal just getting the wrong big men?

Unfortunately every one of these guys thinks he’s a failure if he isn’t one-and-done when the reality is that most of them should try to be Willie Cauley-Stein instead of trying to be Cousins, Davis or Towns.

17. Not Dan Issel
    5:38 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Current revelations seem to show that most recent big men were paid boat loads of $. Cal isn’t playing that game, so we get who we can within the rules. Maybe we are foolish for doing so, but that is the simple truth, I think.

18. Skooms
    5:38 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Cal hasn’t lost his recruiting touch, he’s just not the same guy without Antigua. They were the perfect recruiting team. That’s one of the reasons I was hoping that Barbee would land another HC job. Antigua would have to be the obvious replacement, I’d hope.

19. ohiokatfan
    8:21 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Hate to say it, but I believe that if he stays in the draft, it’s the last most people will ever hear of his name. The guy is nowhere near ready for that level of competition and may never be. I wouldn’t blame him for trying though.

20. makeitstop
    9:18 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

If EJ stays in the draft he’s an idiot. Simple as that. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt bc they are kids. But seriously, u think a late 2d round contract is a lot of money? It’s gone. Poof. Ur in the G-league and u hv no guarantee and u hv to pay ur agent and the IRS. Ur a lottery pick, or at least 1st round guarantee and the team is invested and u can make some plans to not struggle the rest of ur life. Someone should gv this kid some real adult advice. Don’t be an idiot.

21. JT55
    10:22 pm May 25, 2019 Permalink

Next season will be rough. No big guys at all

22. UKantholdme
    12:24 am May 27, 2019 Permalink

I realize I have a very unpopular opinion…. but I really don’t care….. I’m a huge fan of the style and having all this talent that you feel like you’ve got a chance every year…. it’s fun having the walls, towns etc’s … buuuttt the reality of it is this …… it’s a headache and maybe I’m an old head (44) so no I’m not …. but I miss Kentucky basketball….. yes if we let calipari go we will lose a lot of hype (buttttt we are Kentucky and as long as it’s not a Gillespie we will get that hype right back) because we are Kentucky….. look I don’t hate cal I’m just over the cal experience……. the talent has been a blast , the final fours the 38 and Wisconsin team was awesome … but anyone with a pulse knows all this talent… randomness or not should have produced at the very least one more title
    …… but it’s not even about that …. we’ve seen what the cal era is …. and it was great but let’s see if a new start can get Kentucky basketball back to the proud program it’s always been …. any coach that’s worthy of the UK job can win 1 every ten years so we aren’t going to lose anything that really matters to the new breed of UK fan and that’s championships ….. but maybe we get back to watching kids develop and have pride truly earn it not just be blessed with it ….. yes we need some mashburns
    … but we need some fords, some millers, some guys that truly want to play for Kentucky!!
    … not just a coach that can get them to the nba the fastest….. let’s be honest there isn’t one honest person out there that thought we’d be sitting here in year ten of the calipari era with one title…yes 4 final fours that were all a blast …… but the point is we get it , it was fun but let’s get back to Kentucky ball I’m over this
    …. any coach worthy of coaching UK will get a good class every year 2,3 mc Donald’s kids and have just as good a shot as we do right now …. I believe even better because let’s be real calipari is not a great X’s and O’s coach ….. I’m still a fan and I’m very glad we have him
    … I’m sure he’s not going anywhere and he’ll be here for years to come and I’ll be fine with that, celebrating every win and seeing the obvious poor coaching in just about every loss ….. but I will also we looking forward to the coaching change when that day comes ….. GOBIGBLUE…..