Tony Barbee officially joins Calipari’s staff

UK officially named Tony Barbee its “special assistant to the head coach” today. The former player and assistant under Calipari will fill the position left open by Rod Strickland when Strickland followed Orlando Antigua to South Florida.

“Tony has been a part of my basketball family for over 20 years,” Calipari said in a release from UK. “I’ve had the pleasure of watching him grow up and mature with this game since I started recruiting him when he was 16 years old. I’m thrilled with the knowledge and experience he brings to this program and our staff and am looking forward to working with him again.”

Barbee said, “I’m so excited to reconnect with my coach, mentor, and friend Coach Cal on his staff at Kentucky. I can’t wait to join the Big Blue Nation in its quest for No. 9.”

Welcome aboard.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Tony Barbee officially joins Calipari’s staff

1. 2mites
    12:05 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

And again I say a terrible hire!

• J-Dub421
      12:20 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Why? He’s a good recruiter and generally well liked among his peers and by players. He did well at UTEP, but may not have been ready to be head coach at a bigger program like Auburn. He already knows Coach Cal and Cal’s system, and he’ll be eager to prove himself after Auburn. I say good hire.

• Michael
      2:11 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

So we hire a former head coach of a D1 program, who previously worked and played for Calipari to be a special assistant. I seriously doubt many other programs have a coach of Barbee’s caliber as the 5th seat on the bench. How anyone can call this a terrible hire is beyond moronic, but coming from 2mites it doesn’t surprise me.

• ukbradstith
      3:23 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Again you are wrong.

2. GraBeardCat
    12:29 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

The job of “Special Assistant” usually had a wide range of responsibilities, many of which may not be spelled out. I would think he needs to have a knowledge of basketball, coaching, dealing with players and assistant coaches, working with NCAA compliance, scheduling, travel arrangements, tournaments, AND how and what Calipari wants something done. It seems to me that Barbee has the background to work in all those areas. I don’t know whether or not this is a good hire; however, most Special Assistants are hired because they have a unique combination of knowledge, skills and experience that the person who will be their “boss” requires. I would say “Wait and See” before determining good hire or bad hire.

3. bluekymike
    1:15 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

I think he is a great hire, but we need a new photo immediately. At least photoshop a new tie!

4. ukbradstith
    3:23 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

So basically Dwight Shrute lol

5. getting old
    4:24 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Great hire!

6. tltaworl
    5:32 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Maybe Slice was buying a new tie for Barbee

7. UK Ron
    10:27 am August 2, 2014 Permalink

Welcome to BBN. The tie has to go…..

8. kingrex
    12:00 pm August 2, 2014 Permalink

I honestly think we are at the point where the system is in place and you can almost plug any halfwit into it and have things continue to go smoothly.