Tonight’s refs for Kentucky vs. Kansas State

(Photo: Grant Halverson/Getty Images North America)

(Photo: Grant Halverson/Getty Images North America)

Kansas State plays a physical game and Kentucky is, well, Kentucky, so the refs will probably be a factor tonight. Who are those refs? Chris Rastatter, Jamie Luckie, and Earl Walton.

If you’re like me, the only name you recognize of those is Luckie. The Cats are 21-8 in games officiated by Luckie, the most recent being Kentucky’s loss at South Carolina back in January. You may remember Luckie from his technical on Bam Adebayo for hanging on the rim vs. Hofstra last season.

Let’s try not to give them too much material.

[mobile_ad]

9 Comments for Tonight’s refs for Kentucky vs. Kansas State

1. dhard
    8:41 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

Two I never heard of. Luckie is beyond awful..his name should be unluckie.

2. Rembrandt
    9:02 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

This is weak. Implying that the referees are a legitimate excuse. I have faith in my team to win this game, but I won’t use the referees as an excuse if we don’t. Let’s play the game.

• Han
      9:10 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

It’s weak to think refs don’t impact the game. They dictate how physical a game will be, they dictate flow by when they call fouls, and they dictate score by calling fouls on drives and block/charge. You have to learn how refs will call a game just like how batters and pitchers have to learn an Ump’s strike zone.

It’s real.

• callitlikeiseeit
      9:22 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

Hans is right, different crews call different games. When I officiated High School ball our crew was well liked by most players and coaches because we let the kids play. We tried to not call a foul and play on as long as the contact did not affect the play and it did not start to get to rough or physical. By not affecting the play, if they got a little wrist on a ribbler and knocked it out of bounds, just give ball to team who deserved it. Over the back, or push, on a rebound…if not real bad contact and 1st guy got rebound let them keep playing. I never called a hand check if the offensive player was going side to side {unless it was real blatant} but I would if I felt like the defender impeded the guys drive to the hoop. This was a couple years before this freedom of movement garbage they put in place to give the offense more advantage. If I was still reffing I would still call it like I used to and let teams play as long as they kept it under control.

• Rembrandt
      11:06 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

Bull. That’s so weak. We are shooting 26% from the floor. That’s what’s impacting the game. The officials have actually hamstrung Kansas State with fouls.

3. callitlikeiseeit
    9:11 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

No excuse should be needed. Loyola is about to beat Nevada. That means UK can get to the Final 4 playing teams ranked 33rd or lower to get there.KState is prolly the top ranked 9 seed so they would be ranked 33rd in the tourney.
    Also the weak SEC is about to have their 4th team lose by 20 plus points in the tourney and Mizzou lost by 14 or so but game was not that close.

• callitlikeiseeit
      9:13 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

That being said Loyola will be the best team we would play to get there. They did something we could not come close to doing, they won at Florida.

4. bhb71
    9:23 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t know any of those names, so I’m happy with it. There’s no place in this kind of game for a big ego in stripes to mess with the pace of play.

5. TB112162
    9:28 pm March 22, 2018 Permalink

Calitlikeiseeit your the smartest person on this site