Tonight’s attendance is not good

Tonight’s crowd might be a record-low for a Kentucky basketball game. A combination of the nasty weather, the opponent, the Cats’ recent play and the 9 p.m. start time really kept fans at home tonight.

The number that will be announced will undoubtedly be inflated, but it was about half-full at tip-off and not much better midway through the first half.

Jeff Drummond has been covering the team much longer than me and it’s the worst he has seen too:

UPDATE

Attendance announced at 18,555.

I didn’t see them.

Article written by Drew Franklin

37 Comments for Tonight’s attendance is not good

1. N-UR-i
    9:31 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

It’s Eddie Gran’s fault

2. zoupman
    9:41 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

People have lives. Who wants to go to a 9:00 game on a Wed. Tried three different ways to give my tickets away. Us season ticket holders are suckers.

• mashburnfan1
      9:45 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Excuses. If this would have been vs UNC would you be there?

• Eazy19035597
      10:00 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

You act like the level of entertainment Isnt a reason to not go

3. mashburnfan1
    9:42 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Is why I laugh when I hear Cal talk about midnight madness and the bluewhite scrimmage. He always says “it’s a chance for them to see a game at Rupp, is the only time they can get in here”. I think he wants the world to believe that but every home game against these slobs he schedules there are numerous tix available, and not resale tix, I mean regular Ticketmaster tix. People are tired of this one and done garbage and now that he misses on the best players we see avergae basketball being played with no title shot. This will be my 2nd straight year of not going to a game, can’t remember the last year I missed going to one. FYI Cameron was rockin tonight and dUKe wa up 35 at half. Also of note was a guy named Charles Matthews, the only SR on the Michigan roster, leading his team to a thrashing of Nova. But the June draft will be here soon, that is what UK is all about now.

• KYCat4EVER
      9:44 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

SPOT ON!

• zoupman
      9:46 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Completely disagree with ashburj. It has nothing to do with Cal. Cal is great. Times have changed. Screw ESPN.

• ukcamel
      10:07 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

If Billy G was still coaching, mashburnfan1 would be at the game and N. Dakota would probably be winning.

Two reasons it’s a good thing we have Cal.

• And Duke has a 9,000 seat capacity. If they seated 23,000 what would that look like?

• BigolBlue
      10:55 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Agree

• KYcats11
      11:03 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Don’t go to games and don’t watch. We don’t need nor want you

• UKWildcatNation
      12:32 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

I was going to write a long reply bashing as a so-called fan, but you really aren’t worth my time. It’s simple, you suck at life. Man I can’t imagine how bad it must be being you…so miserable ALL THE TIME!

• chrislarkey
      9:05 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

dUKe, their gym holds as much as an elementary school gym.

4. KYCat4EVER
    9:43 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Don’t pretend to speak for anyone else in BBN, but after the last 12 days of UK football and basketball, I have never been mor disappointed in our two head coaches. Heck, you couldn’t give me a ticket to go watch Coach Cals Offense or Defense, or Coach Stoops, and his OC sidekick (Gran) , dialing up one BLAND offensive call after another.
    What proscription do I need to take to rid myself of this disease? ?

5. RondoTheDonThough
    9:57 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Tried to give my tickets away as well (Section 213 Row L). There were very good lowers being sold on StubHub from $21-$29. Had mine on StubHub for $1.99 a piece.

6. Trueblue44
    10:04 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Nick Roush says if you don’t get to Rupp immediately then you aren’t a fan and you don’t like our players……

• BigBlue4Three
      10:07 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Roush may be Matthew Mitchell’s love child. Both D-bags.

7. KYFAN4LYFE
    10:08 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

9pm tip-off + cannon fodder opponent + terrible weather + fan hangover from Duke loss followed by poor effort against SIU = WTF did you expect?

• BigBlue4Three
      10:11 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Why does everyone just excuse or dismiss the poor effort for the 2 exhibition games also? They have looked bad since the season started.

8. VirginiaCat
    10:18 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Bad weather, lackluster competition, and a late tip-off time have contributed to poor attendance, but you have to recognize that a deflated fan base is also a factor. The Duke debacle was devastating to fan morale. It was more than just a loss; it also symbolized the state of the basketball program. As the season progresses, it will be interesting to see the level of attendance. My guess is that the fan base is tired of watching Kentucky struggle through the season with hopes that Cal can pull a rabbit out of the hat come tournament time. Empty seats will speak loudly to Cal if he pays attention.

• BigolBlue
      10:58 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Yeah but your forgetting Cals gonna have a tweak. A.k.a his excuse everytime he knows his team stinks

• Booby Petrino
      8:09 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

ah the drama kings are here. good lord. There are still plenty of us who are excited for this season. One loss didn’t destroy the entire season. The team doesn’t stink, you idiots do.

9. UKCAT5FAN
    10:30 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

@Mashburnfan1

You do realize that Cameron Indoor only seats like 9,000+, right? Dumb comparison.

• Jiminy Crickets
      10:52 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

Have u ever been to CIS? Rupp is great on big games, but CIS is crazy every game

• Soylentbeans
      11:09 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

That’s because a lot of bvb that 9000 is students and the student section surrounds the court.

• ukcamel
      11:01 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

I have been to Cameron several times. It is absolutely not crazy every game. The side the TV cameras don’t show is a bunch of old rich people and often not full. The UNC game is the only time I’ve been there where the atmosphere matches an average conference game at Rupp.

10. katmandue2you
    10:46 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

It’s the fan base. They (you all) bitch and moan constantly. You’d rather sit on here and bitch and moan than go support the team. And many of you don’t know shit from apple butter. And BTW…in your eye why don’t you STFU

11. 8generationsblue
    11:52 pm November 14, 2018 Permalink

It is a fact that many fans are not fans of one and done! These kids don’t love Kentucky. They love getting prepared to become millionaires.

• 8 god
      2:56 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

racially tinged

• my2sense
      1:32 pm November 16, 2018 Permalink

There you have it sports fans….must be race issue.

12. UKWildcatNation
    1:07 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

Holy cow…I did not know that the sky was falling. Our football team should be better offensively, but we are looking at a 9 win season, with a chance for 10 if we win our bowl game!!! Seriously?!?! When did we become College Football Playoff or Bust?!? A bunch of ungrateful know-it-alls. I cheer for my team no matter what because I know what it is like to be a college athlete. This guys want to win every freaking game. I wish I could go to any game, and we have people on here bitching about having tickets that they can’t give away!!
    Oh and PLEASE, NONE of you better say shit or even act happy if this team starts putting it together in the middle of the season and makes a run in March! Wow, just wow

• JASUN74
      3:01 pm November 15, 2018 Permalink

Quit with your self righteous acting ass. You’re not the master of Kentucky fans. We will act anyway we want to act and feel anyway we want to feel. Get over yourself quickly sir. I’m not wasting my time again writing a book for you, explaining what’s going on because you know already and still are trying to act like ithw big Blue Pope. Grow the hell up. And yes we love and support our teams but we’re allowed to have hearts and brains. Jasun out!! Also you have a great rest of your day UKWILDCATNATION. LOL.

13. TheHalloWay
    8:48 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

Espn and money… And UK and other teams saying yes… I’ve lost a little fandom due to these late games, but the are always other people so why should UK care. They do, but they don’t. Just like Cal it is what it is, 9:00 is absolutely ridiculous, but unless the people with less daily rin jobsp watching, we have to live it

14. zoupman
    11:25 am November 15, 2018 Permalink

Love Coach Cal, love the team, but little interest in a 9:00 game on a Wed. Also, these 9:00 games seldom, if ever, start on time.