Tom Crean’s comments following Georgia’s loss today were… interesting…

The Tom Crean experiment in Georgia has not gotten off to the hot start the program hoped for going into the year.

And it got a whole lot uglier this afternoon.

With 16-7 Ole Miss in town, the Georgia Bulldogs suffered an embarrassing 16-point loss, dropping them to 10-13 on the year and 1-9 in the SEC.

No one on the team finished with more than ten points, they combined for 20 turnovers, and shot just 40 percent from the field. To put it simply, the entire team flat-out sucked.

After the game, instead of providing constructive criticism and words of wisdom like most coaches try to do, Crean decided to light the press conference on fire by throwing his entire roster under the bus.

In short, the Georgia head coach said it was his fault he decided to keep the scrubs on the roster when he took over the program this past offseason. Seriously.

“It’s all on me,” he said. “Because I’m the one who decided to keep these guys. It’s all on me. And I get it. Because the last thing I can do, with making decisions, on keeping guys in the program in the spring, is now get overly mad at them because I’m the one who made the decision. So I live with that every day.”

And he didn’t stop there.

Crean wanted the world to know that while these are “great kids,” they “haven’t done (anything) at any point really in their career.”

“And it doesn’t mean that they’re not great kids,” he said. “But very few programs, when there’s a takeover, when you have guys who haven’t done it at any point really in their career, a lot of those guys, they move on. That’s what happens when there’s a job change. And I didn’t do that. And so I’m not going to complain, we’ve just got to do everything we can to fix it.”

For completely hypothetical reasons, if you were, say, the No. 1 overall recruit in the class of 2019 and you were making your college decision, would you commit to a head coach who makes comments like that? Would you really want to play for a coach who throws his entire team under the bus following a loss?

Me neither.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

58 Comments for Tom Crean’s comments following Georgia’s loss today were… interesting…

1. BBNJustin
    7:07 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

WOW! Basically he said “I’ll take all the blame, by blaming everyone except me.”

• TheMaxCat
      9:50 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

For what it’s worth, while I was scanning through the channels I stopped for a few seconds on the Louisville and Fla. St. game (I couldn’t stay with it very long – the combination LaVille and Dicky V. were simply to much to bare). Anyway I was there long enough to hear DV say that Edwards was going to Ga. … Not I believe he’s going to Ga. not I think he’s going to Ga. he stated that the kid was going to Ga.

• trumpetguy
      10:12 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

How about this….Come here Ant, because you will be the best player on the team and will get plenty of shots! All you want…………kinda like Okla. kid who stayed home to play for in-state OU, or former Miss St. player who stayed home to play, etc

• MrNoItAll
      6:45 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

‘What Happened’ Volume 2. Russian collusion! Comey! Bernie! Scrubs!

2. KYFAN4LYFE
    7:12 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

#NOTaPlayersCoach

3. BigBlueBass
    7:15 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

No one cares…..

• Jack Pilgrim
      7:24 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

No one cares that it’s about a coach Kentucky has faced regularly over the last decade? Or that it’s about a current SEC foe? Or the fact that the No. 1 recruit in the nation is deciding between Kentucky and Georgia on Monday?

• Exactly Jack, and Crean actually goes back even further with UK when Marquette beat us in the Bogans days.

• bigbluebanana
      7:37 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Most of us care for exactly the reasons Jack responded with.

• Gettlefingers
      10:19 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

He’s being honest and that’s always better than the same coach speak. Outrage machine crankin it up. Oh my gosh these poor kids! Please

• Skooms
      7:53 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

about BigBluAss? Yes you’re correct however you should have said “No one cares about me……”.

4. JerryCat
    7:18 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

I mean if this buffoon signs the #1 recruit, that kid must really like kisses

5. Blue Bill
    7:18 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Wow. Classy.

6. Wow, just wow. He should have also added Gump’s “I’m not a smart may-an.”

7. Kentuckybbnfan01
    7:29 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Imagine Anthony Edwards playing for this guy ?

8. davis2319
    7:30 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

He will probably still commit there lol

9. RealCatsFan
    7:36 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

I heard Miller is saying the same thing about all the scrubs Clappy left at Indiana.

10. Clyde X
    7:44 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

I would say he took lessons in tact from his brother-in-law. There’s just something very unlikable about that whol family.

• coachc90
      11:09 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Pretty
      Low blow, unless you know all of them. I do. Worked for Jack for years- they are good people.

11. John Capilari
    7:46 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Clowns gonna clown

12. ukwildcat1991
    7:49 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Coach cal calls out his players all the time if y’all didn’t notice. He called out pj Washington’s performance with a “revert” talk. I get why people are up in arms about this post but cmon. Yeah it’s not a good sign of character to call out your players but sometimes it’s warranted. Getting all butt hurt because of some comments from a coach we all make fun of is kinda ridiculous.

• Skooms
      7:56 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Name me ONE single time Cal has told his players that they should have left the program, especially since they haven’t accomplished ANYTHING in their career? I’d hold my breath waiting for you to find one instance but I’d pass out. By the way, who’s butt hurt about it?? Go hang out with Mashburn fan and pretend it’s 1991 again!

• J-Dub421
      8:40 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

The difference is, Cal calls out an individual performance when we WIN to motivate his players. When we lose Cal takes the blame on himself.

• wyatts1
      10:18 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

Skooms I do remember when coach Cal just took over the program and was asked about if he had any intentions on playing someone from the previous years team, sorry I forgot the name of the guy but he said “God I hope not”. That comment never set well with me considering he was talking about a a couple 4 yr guys that stuck around through some dark days. Wishy I could find that link but I can’t :/. But besides that I think Coach Cal has been a freaking superhero kicking ass and taking names while here.

13. kentuckybackupplayer
    8:24 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

why sign with a team for your one year of college ball that is going to be a .500 ball club?

• BBNDan7
      8:41 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Because it hasn’t mattered in the past. People have still been drafted high playing for terrible teams, and that’s what matters most to some

• J-Dub421
      12:37 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

It does matter. Players like Markelle Fultz and Trey Young don’t pan out in the NBA. They waste their year in college on garbage teams with crappy coaches and they’re behind when they get to the NBA. See also, Anthony Bennett, Kwame Brown, etc.

14. catsarerunnin
    8:39 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Why is anyone shocked by this? The Creananator is and always has been a laughable buffoon who can’t coach. It’s another train wreck that’s fun to watch but I feel really bad for the kids.

15. Han
    9:41 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Inb4 people claim he’s just trying to give his players tough love and motivate them to fight harder.

16. coachc90
    11:14 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

He didn’t throw anyone under the bus. He said that he made the decision to honor scholarships of guys he didn’t think were very good and who hadn’t done anything in their careers. He said there’s no reason to pile on them right now because he’s the one that kept them. I don’t see a thing wrong with what Tom said at that level. You wouldn’t say it I’d you were a high school coach, but this is a different level.

• ClutchCargo
      2:01 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

What you are describing is throwing the players under the bus. He is saying don’t blame the players because they suck, blame me for being dumb enough to keep them around. I have no idea why you don’t understand that.

• coachc90
      4:09 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

No, it isn’t. People that aren’t involved in sports are pretty sensitive. Ask the players- I bet that his statement doesn’t bother them at all.

• wyatts1
      10:22 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

May or may not bother the players (but I think that it will) I’m 100% that it does effect recruiting and in this day and age in college basketball recruiting is crucial

17. 72uksprinter
    11:26 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Tom Crean is a tool.
    He just proves it time and time again.

18. UKCatAttack
    11:49 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

I still think Edwards is coming to UK. I just can’t imagine him going to UGA to play for Crean.

19. Racerr11
    8:15 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

Edwards to BBN it’s a done deal and has been since the day he visited. Cancelled UNC and fla st visits after being in BBN.

• UKFan7787
      8:32 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

I hope you’re right, I’d love to add the kid to next year’s team but remember, he visited UGA after he visited us. Just saying…

• Rsn2GoBlu
      9:32 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Ahhh, the internet guru done deal. Bank on it. LOL!!!!!

20. henderblue
    10:09 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

Crean is relevant because of Dwayne Wade and Olidapo. Without those guys he’s done nothing. Will Edwards keep him going for a little longer? I hope not..

• zoupman
      12:48 pm February 10, 2019 Permalink

You are correct. His record other that those two players last year with him is terrible.

21. chris43
    10:16 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

If he’d go to GA to play for this POS that says a lot about him. I mean Crean and the GA program vs JOHN CALIPARI, the UK program and BBN? It’s nowhere near the same level. But if you want to be THE GUY and not have to work for it at all not he held accountable…then go to GA.

22. catsavage
    11:22 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

IMO he wouldn’t be saying this unless he knew he had Edwards locked up. He can now try to motivate the current guys by saying “look what I have coming in”. If I am right and Edwards picks Ga I’m really a disappointment.

• KYFAN4LYFE