Today on KSR: That sucked

Does anyone feel better after a night’s sleep? Me neither. Kentucky’s 73-71 loss to No. 19 LSU stings in many ways. After playing some of their best basketball over the past month, the Cats reverted in the second half, blowing a nine-point lead at home to let the Tigers snap their ten-game winning streak and take sole possession of second place in the SEC standings. Not only did several players go missing in action, the Cats seemed to lose their identity, which bothered John Calipari the most in the postgame press conference.

“I mean, it’s stuff that we had gotten better at. They shot the ball 32 percent in the first half. They shot it 51 percent in the second half. That’s why you lose. We’re supposed to be a defensive team that rebounds. Well, obviously we weren’t.”

Kentucky’s inability to deal with LSU’s length and athleticism triggered flashbacks of another game we all had hoped we were past. In stretches, the Cats looked lost on offense, unable to drive the ball or score over LSU’s Nazr Reid or Kavell Bigby-Williams. On defense, Ashton Hagans, arguably Kentucky’s best defender, was unable to stay in front of guys, specifically Tremont Waters. Tyler Herro, Keldon Johnson, and Reid Travis all made egregious errors down the stretch, leaving PJ Washington to carry the load.

And then there’s the way the game ended. After Keldon Johnson tied the game at 71 with two free throws, LSU’s Skylar Mays drove the length of the court to score and missed, but Bigby-Williams was there to tip it in. He touched the ball above the cylinder, committing basket interference; however, under NCAA rules, that’s considered a judgment call and is therefore not reviewable, an absurdity made even more ridiculous by the fact that at the end of the Duke/Louisville game, the refs were able to go to the monitor to review a crucial charge call, which was reversed.

Calipari was flummoxed when asked why the refs couldn’t review the basket interference. The refs weren’t made available for comment, so Kyle Tucker asked SEC Basketball spokesman Craig Pinkerton about it. His response will make your blood pressure skyrocket:

Former coordinator of NCAA officials John Adams tweeted that he believes the rule will change as a result of last night’s debacle, which would be the second time that’s happened after Kentucky’s gotten screwed.

Ugh. Not even Louisville blowing a 23-point lead vs. Duke makes me feel better because it just showed good the Blue Devils are. And when they went to the monitor to see whether or not Cam Reddish’s defender was inside the arc on that charge call?

Again, ugh. But we’ve gotta move on. No. 1 Tennessee comes to town on Saturday and a win over the Vols will cure a lot of ails.

A look at the current SEC standings

TEAM CONFERENCE GAMES BACK OVERALL
Arkansas 5-6 5.5 14-10
Florida 4-6 6 12-11
Missouri 3-8 7.5 12-11
Texas A&M 3-8 7.5 10-13
Georgia 1-10 9.5 10-14
Vanderbilt 0-10 10 9-14

LSU is not only ahead of Kentucky now, they own the tiebreaker. The Tigers still have to play Tennessee, Florida twice, and Alabama in Tuscaloosa, so here’s hoping they slip up or we’re looking at the late Friday night slot in the SEC Tournament, which no one wants.

Here are tonight’s SEC games:

6:30 PM South Carolina No. 1 Tennessee SEC Network
8:30 PM Ole Miss Auburn SEC Network
9:00 PM Vanderbilt Florida ESPNU

No. 6 Michigan lost too

Another casualty of a wild night in basketball: No. 6 Michigan, who went down at Penn State in a game that saw John Beilein get thrown out:

The Wolverines have lost three of their past eight games, which is comforting since they’re also in the hunt for the top No. 2 seed.

Never change, Louisville

Even if Duke scares the crap out of me, there was one great image to come out of that game last night:

Radio in an hour.

[mobile_ad]

35 Comments for Today on KSR: That sucked

1. RealCatsFan
    9:18 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

I have to wholeheartedly agree with the young lady flashing the bird. Duck Fuke.

• runningunnin.454
      9:21 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

And look at the Dook nerd behind her; they all have faces you just want to push in.

• Ridge Runner
      9:25 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Hatem both but damn I wanted Loserville to win that one. Ultimate collapse.

• RAGE
      10:06 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

^^Agreed^^

• StillBP
      9:27 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

I was hoping Louisville would win (I think that’s the first time I’ve ever said that) but I guess if they had to lose, at least it was humiliating. Yes, losing to Duke by 34 was humiliating, but so is blowing a 23 point lead at home in less than 10 minutes. LOL

• Realme
      10:01 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Imagine how excited our least favorite Louisville fans were when they were up 20 on Duke. Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!

2. Ridge Runner
    9:24 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Give her a Marlboro & a shot. She’ll be ok…

3. ScratchtheMascot
    9:25 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

That’s cool that there might be a rule change and all, but the refs should have seen that live. That was an easy call.

• henderblue
      9:55 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Exactly. How do they miss that?

• ClutchCargo
      9:55 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Completely agree. The refs have used replay as a crutch for terrible officiating for far too long now. There should be no need for replay on that play, any competent ref should have seen that live.

4. W F Reserve
    9:26 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

We definitely got outplayed the second half – give credit to LSU. But good teams have bad halves and still find a way to win. This opportunity was taken away by an obvious no call – which you know they saw, but choked on the whistle. Pat Evans and Tony Green somehow didn’t choke on the whistle when they called every possible hand check (on both teams), but chose not to call the basket interference. I was there and 23,000+ were not worried at first, because everyone knew it was goal tending, until I saw the refs not call it and stood there looking around. We were playing for an overall 1 seed and a chance to stay in the state (Yum Center) during the tournament. I would of like to see what would have happened in OT.

5. StillBP
    9:30 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

With the exception of our fist game this season, even when we play like crap and lose, the other team has to give it 100% and have luck and a little help from the refs to beat us. Sometimes we play like crap and win, sometimes we play like crap and lose by 1 or 2. That team who lost by 34 isn’t the same team on the court now. I like my team.

• StillBP
      9:33 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Also, I think Waters is still pushing off of people today. The refs just turned a bling eye to him pushing off all night. Heck they even called our guy for a foul on Waters pushing.

• StillBP
      9:34 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

*blind eye haha

• ClutchCargo
      9:52 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Waters is an excellent player and all, but he definitely gets the Devan Downey treatment, just like a lot of undersized PG’s seem to. Downey would get away with carrying the ball every time down the court, just like Waters gets to push off every time because he always does it.

• Keith Biggins
      9:58 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Nice Dick Vitale reference BP

• Realme
      10:02 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Well said BP.

• BlueSteel
      11:33 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

I agree 100% – We have a really good team!

6. NJReturns
    9:31 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

The official under the basket looks to have the best view. How can he not see that?

7. Jiminy Crickets
    9:36 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Cam reddish wasn’t inside the arc, the defender was.
    Its a stupid rule, but it’s the rule, both of them. I screamed at TV as much as anyone, on both UL and Duke (it’s literally the only game of year I root for UL, but still feel guilty doing it).
    The refs were factually correct in their interpretation of the rules, although morally incorrect. This isn’t Congress it’s NCAA

8. JoshtheCATSfan
    10:07 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Bad news is we will not get a 1 seed unless we beat the Vols twice. Good news is there is not that much difference between a 1 and 2 seed so we can just keep the big picture in mind. Hopefully this wakes Hagans up for a big run to finish out the season. If we get good guard and post play at the same time this team could easily make a run to the final four. GO CATS!!!!!

9. RAGE
    10:17 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Ah I hate to lose PERIOD!!! But with that being said as I posted on another topic on this site… After sleeping on it and looking in hindsight this loss could be a blessing going forward… Now read this before you all start bashing me for that… But as much as I like our team you have to admit that this team on several occasions this season has not put teams away when they needed too.. I mean we were up 18 in the second half against Miss State and let them get all the way back to within 1… Then tonight we were up 9 in the second half and didn’t put our foot on them… That cost a team or two every year in the tourney… The last two games are prime examples but we have did it other times this season also… I don’t know but may be a good lesson if we learn from it and correct it… I just have to say hopefully we have Tennessee down in the second half and get a chance to correct our problems… But Saturday we can’t have a stint in the second half were we get completely stagnant on offense

• RAGE
      10:19 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

I forgot to include this but I have FAITH in coach Cal and this team to get it fixed… The sky ain’t falling

• BigolBlue
      2:27 pm February 13, 2019 Permalink

Good for you Rage. Another person that thinks Cal can win another title.

• RAGE
      8:41 pm February 14, 2019 Permalink

Hey BigolBlue I hope you are not talking about me… I have all the confidence in the world that Cal can win another title… In fact I believe Cal will win another title at Kentucky… Hopefully more than one… I don’t know why from my last comment would make you think that I don’t think he will

• RAGE
      8:43 pm February 14, 2019 Permalink

Sorry I read that wrong… I get it you don’t think he will win another title… I sure hope you are wrong

10. KYJelly
    11:43 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

A big issue with officials is when they hold a whistle to see what happens instead of blowing it and making the call after. What I mean is, they may have held their whistles after EJ’s goaltending to see if the shot would fall anyways (it was still above the cylinder), thus not really mattering, then when the ball got tipped-in (which is again goaltending), they don’t call it due to their previous holding of the whistle.

I know that’s a long explanation, but ref’s waiting on the outcome of a call to actually call it is a big issue

11. natedaddy
    11:47 am February 13, 2019 Permalink

Am I the only one who thinks our bench sucks? Haven’t seen or heard of anybody talk about this. All season KSR and commenters talked about how deep this team is. Montgomery is talented but young and prone to making dumb mistakes. Richards has about 2 minutes to show what he can do in any given game. And he usually sucks and doesn’t come back in the game. Quickley and Baker just flat out suck.

Out starting 5 is as good as anybody’s, but we drop off significantly when we go to the bench.

• catsarerunnin
      12:37 pm February 13, 2019 Permalink

You decide all of that after one loss? Uhm ok?

• natedaddy
      1:15 pm February 13, 2019 Permalink

Nope. Decided on that a few games a ago. Look at the stats.

12. No more excuses cal
    12:39 pm February 13, 2019 Permalink

Can’t blame someone else for this lose it on cal and players or should I say cal and the pretenders