Today on KSR: Our first dual-sports weekend

Photo via USAToday

Photo via USAToday

Did you enjoy Thursday’s Sports Equinox? It was the first one of the 2018 year but it won’t be the last. It was a glorious night and even though Thursday was big from the professional level, it’s a Kentucky filled weekend starting tomorrow. Both UK football and basketball will compete in front of fans and all of us at KSR are pumped.

Quick Thursday Sports Recap:

• Boston beat Houston 4-1 to win the American League Championship Series (4-1) and advance to its fourth World Series since 2004.
  • The Broncos thrashed the Cardinals 45-10 on Thursday Night Football. It was a trash game and allowed fans to watch other sports. Bad year to be a Cardinal playing football.
  • LeBron James and Rajon Rondo made their debuts for the Lakers in a 128-119 loss to Portland. James finished with 26 points, 12 rebounds and six assists, and Rondo finished with 13 points, 11 assists and four rebounds. Seeing Rondo in a Lakers jersey was weirder than LeBron in my opinion.
  • John Wall and the Wizards lost their NBA opener 113-112 to the Heat. Wall had a team-high 26 points to go with nine assists. Bam was pedestrian for the Heat as he finished with four points to go with nine rebounds.
  • Stanford narrowly beat Arizona State 20-13. I miss great college football games on Thursday’s but that wasn’t too shabby.

The NBA G League is shaking things up:

In the news of the day the NBA G League announced that elite high school prospects have a new professional path to the NBA.

Beginning next summer, the NBA G League will offer contracts to graduating high school seniors who are: (a) potential one-and-done talents; (b) at least 18 years old; and (c) not yet eligible for the NBA draft. The contracts will be worth $125,000 and will provide an alternate road for young stars, rather than spending a season in college basketball.

It didn’t take long for writers and analysts across the country to write/tweet that this won’t change much. Elite players can already go overseas after high school (or during) and get bigger contracts than $125k. Plus, an 18-year-old having to play against grown men generally isn’t a great thing for the kid.

You may see a player every so often jump to the NBA G League, but it won’t be a regular occurrence. Read more about it HERE.

Get Hyped:

Speaking of Vandy:

Center Drake Jackson and left tackle Naasir Watkins had a successful week of practice and both will play on Saturday. But enough about the Cats, Adam Luckett has the detailed scouting report on how you beat the Commodores.

Luckett believes Benny Snell will have a serious chance to run for over 200 yards against Vanderbilt’s defense. You can find out why HERE.

SEC Media Day:

Wednesday’s SEC Media Day didn’t produce any groundbreaking news, but nearly every coach was asked about Kentucky in some form or fashion. I pulled quotes/tidbits about what the rest of the league had to say about the Cats with a few exceptions.

The Tom Crean tidbit and is incredibly interesting.

(Photo: Lopez/Nike)

Recruiting Visits:

Five-star wing Keion Brooks will start his official visit to Kentucky this weekend. Indiana appears to be the heavy favorite for Brooks, but there was a point where UK looked like the team to beat. The Cats are loaded at the wing but would like to add one more perimeter scorer to the 2019 class, so UK isn’t giving up just yet. This could be a make or break weekend for UK in this recruitment.

• Vernon Carey is officially visiting Duke after seeing UK last weekend.
  • James Wiseman is on an official to Florida State. I still think it’s between UK and Memphis, but if I had to pick a third school that could land Wiseman I’d go with the Seminoles.
  • Cole Anthony will see Oregon. We haven’t heard any UK buzz in months with Anthony. He’s already visited Notre Dame and UNC.
  • Isaiah Stewart will see Michigan State, a place he’s already visited. It seems UK and Stewart have moved on in different directions.
  • UK target Oscar Tshiebwe will announce on Saturday via Twitter. He said he was telling the staffs on Wednesday, but I haven’t heard anything. Still, all signs point towards WVU.
  • Aidan Igiehon will announce today. It will almost certainly be UofL. He will be a great addition for UofL, but the Cats never offered.

© Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

Blue/White Game Weekend:

While UK basketball will play in front of fans this weekend (2 p.m. Sunday at Rupp Arena), I know it’s a stretch to call it a dual sports weekend. But, we haven’t gotten to see much of this team play since the Bahamas so any opportunity to see them go full-speed is interesting to me.

The biggest thing is to get out of Sunday’s scrimmage healthy, but besides that here are three things that I want to see:

1. Three-pointers made: Maybe I’m a little snake-bit since the streak ended last season, but the Cats weren’t great from behind the arc in 2017-2018. UK should be better this season but I still have a concern that Kentucky is filled with good three-point shooters and no one is elite. I hope I’m proven wrong.
  2. Who’s the point guard: Many thought Ashton Hagans would be UK’s starting point guard but Immanuel Quickley looked better in the Bahamas and folks close to the program have raved about his practices. Hagans is the the better defensive option but I’m anxious to see how far along he’s come offensively. Also, will Quade Green basically play the two as Quickley/Hagans battle out point guard duties?
  3. E.J. Montgomery: I don’t want to see anything specific from Montgomery, but I want to see how he competes against a variation of P.J. Washington, Sophomore Nick Richards and Reid Travis. Depending on the teams/matchups it will probably be the toughest frontcourt Montgomery faces all season. Both Travis and Washington spoke highly of Montgomery’s game in Birmingham on Wednesday, praising his versatility and how he can do different things, but the Big Blue Nation is ready to see it in person.

Opening Weekend for Halloween:

The 82 percent on Rotten Tomato isn’t ideal, but I guess it could be worse. I love horror movies (any recommendations?), so I’ve been looking forward to this since I saw the trailer. Nothing will ever top the trailer, and I’m sure I’ll be disappointed, but it’s October, Halloween is 12 days away and Michael Myers is BACK. I’ll definitely be seeing it this weekend.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

64 Comments for Today on KSR: Our first dual-sports weekend

1. @GoCayts
    9:24 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Game is at 7

10:57 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

The game is at 7:30 actually.

2. Kat4Life
    9:28 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

You beat me to the punch, I was about to point out the start time was it 7 o’clock myself

3. UK_fac_boi
    10:10 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

If you love horror, you’ve got to see hereditary. It’s a total mind fu*k.

• ClutchCargo
      11:16 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

I’ll put that on my list. I considered it last weekend, but watched “Upgrade” on Netflix instead. That one is outstanding as well.

4. Where da Show Thread go at?

5. Realme
    10:30 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

If Turley died, then I guess that means he must have been a real person. I could never tell.

• Booby Petrino
      11:18 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Out of the loop, as usual since I don’t listen, but seeing Turley’s “name” reminded me of another old school poster I haven’t seen on here in years…wonder whatever happened to sexnnursinghomes LOL

• Realme
      11:27 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Oh yeah, that goes way back. Ha ha, probably had a heart attack during sex in the nursing home.

• Booby Petrino
      11:30 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

funny and not funny at the same time. well done!

11:32 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

That would be poetic, going out doing what he loved.

6. BG Cat
    10:34 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

“Good for you” is the new Shane Battiers’s “Well, that’s great”

7. Realme
    10:36 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Good for Ryan. He shouldn’t get a permanent tattoo on his body just because Matt won’t stop nagging him. We all know that like facts, following through on plans is optional.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:38 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

There was an article earlier with Austin MacGinnis…I really miss him.
    Somebody is wanting us to drop-kick FG’s…ha ha ha.
    If Duffy just catches the ball and kicks, even if it goes through the uprights, it’s still just a touchback.
    Maybe he was kidding.

• Realme
      10:41 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

I don’t understand why no NFL team has come calling for Austin. There are some teams where he could really help.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Seriously…hell, they’re even missing PAT’s in the NFL.

10:46 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

There are some terrible kickers in the NFL. It boggles my mind that no team has grabbed Austin.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:47 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Mason Crosby missed 5 straight, cost Green Bay the game.

9. Hey guys, yesterday I won (from a local radio station) 2 tickets to see…***TOTO***!!! SWISH!!!

The concert is Sunday night after church and my daughter is going with me. My wife isn’t that interested (SACRILEGE!!!). My daughter was in chorus last year, and they sang “Africa”, so she’s pretty excited. Hopefully UK handles Vandy and takes 1 more step toward Hotlanta, and we cap it off with a great classic rock concert. I know some original members are passed away or otherwise not touring with the group, and I would be more excited if they were there, but I’m still PUMPED!!!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:46 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Meet you all the way, meet you all the way, Rosanna

10:48 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Very cool.

• Iamhe, I’m kind of in the minority I think. Most people thing “Africa” is their best song, and it is a great number, but I like “Rosanna” & “Hold the Line” even better.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:59 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Of course everyone knows Rosanna is about Rosanna Arquette.

• Really? Did one of the guys in the band date her? I never heard that.

I did see a neat YouTube video that talked about how David Paiche came up with the concept of writing “Africa”. Also, when he wrote it the rest of the band said “Save it for your solo album”. That was their pet phrase to let a band member know they didn’t care for a song and didn’t want it on the next album. If they had won Toto would still be famous, but that song is totally iconic now.

BTW, Weezer did a great cover of “Africa” and 1 or 2 other Toto tunes (Rosanna also I think).

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:08 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Yes was dating Toto keyboard player Steve Porcaro, but he didn’t write the song, it was written by Toto leader David Paich.

• It sounds like Paich wanted to date Porcaro’s GF, kinda like “Jesse’s Girl”. Ha!

10. runningunnin.454
    10:45 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Has anybody seen those Sling TV commercials? In one it looks like there’s a Tennessee football game on the TV. In another, it looks like a Tenn home basketball game, and they’re playing UK. Weird!

• I haven’t seen that one, but I saw one with Dr. Ruth. *shivers*

• runningunnin.454
      11:09 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Agree, they’re over the top with the sexual innuendo. I really don’t want to watch Dr Ruth talking about positions.
      Maybe I pay too much attention to TV commercials,hah.

11:16 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

I record everything but sports and rarely watch commercials anymore. It’s great.

• Realme
      11:25 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Same as JDub. Or just watch Netflix.

There’s a show you car guys might like btw. Fastest Car puts 1 supercar and 3 sleeper cars into a drag race. So it will be a tool in a Lamborghini against a souped up Pinto, Plymoth, etc. The driver’s stories are usually pretty interesting too.

• runningunnin.454
      11:40 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Used to go to drag races at a place in West Ky called Windy Hollow.
      There was a 6 banger none of the hot cars could beat…they had to spot him too many lights.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

College ball will be fine; we’ll still cheer and support our teams, even if teams only have “Wisconsin talent”.
    There is just not enough emotion in the NBA.

• ClutchCargo
      11:20 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

I think there is plenty of emotion in NBA. It’s just the wrong kind most of the time. The problem is the season is so damn long and they have to pace themselves.

12. Realme
    10:56 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

I actually don’t agree that players won’t take that deal. Someone like a Briscoe or a Diallo, who doesn’t particularly want to go to school, who may have a better chance of doing well where the spacing style of play are different, could totally spend a year in the G league, doing nothing but basketball and then get their shot.

11:00 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know if they would be the ones to get an invite though. The NBA is acting like they’re only going to invite the top 10-15 guys or so.

• You sound like you know the Xs and Os better than me. Interesting points.

However, another factor some aren’t considering is that a lot of athletes aren’t good at saving their money, and some of those towns are very expensive to live in. The list that was posted the other day had 2 or 3 towns in CA where taxes and rent/property are through the roof. A couple NY state towns are listed also, and they may not be as bad as The Big Apple, but I’m guessing state level taxes & rent/property are pretty high. $125K won’t go that far in some of those locations.

• Realme
      11:02 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Yes, and top 15 guys would be dumb to do it. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

• Realme
      11:06 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Chris I wouldn’t ever claim to know x’s and o’s well. I can reguritate what I read though. 🙂 It’s just that we keep seeing some of these guys go, with everyone saying they aren’t good enough, and suddenly looking way better there than they did here. I mean freaking I-zac got on an NBA team after some full time, basketball only work.

11:21 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

I think Isaac wanted to go home to Australia for a while, and I don’t blame him for that at all. He was also making $750,000 in Australia which is a lot more than $125,000. Again though, the NBA only wants the Lebron, Zion, James Wiseman type guys, so they wouldn’t have taken Isaac. The top guys will build their brand better, receive more exposure, and receive better coaching in college than in the G League.

• Realme
      11:29 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

So, to sum up: They guys who would want to make a year of G League immersion work won’t be asked, and the guys that are asked should really not do that to themselves.

• ClutchCargo
      11:30 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

That’s kind of how I feel about it, Realme.

11:39 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Drew Franklin’s 6 Questions article yesterday nicely summed up the drawbacks.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:05 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

I’m looking forward to the new “Halloween”…just love horror flicks. On another blog the other day, they were talking about Stephen King’s “It” and the best It movies, going all the way back to the ‘50’s.
    They left out the best one…check out “It Follows”…oooh.

• Information Technology?

• Realme
      11:11 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, our I.T. guys aren’t scary at all.

11:22 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

The new IT movie that came out last year was really good. Scary as all get out.

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

It Follows is AMAZING!

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

And I watch “It” last year. Honestly, I didn’t think it was nearly spooky enough. Maybe because I read the book years ago and it was spooky as hell. The movie didn’t leave me a little creeped out for a couple of days like the book did.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

If I’m settling in to watch a horror flick on TV, and my wife just sits there, I know it’s not going to be any good.
      If she says “I’m not going to watch this” and leaves the room…I sit back for a good one. Haha.

• I don’t get into horror much. I don’t find it entertaining, especially with how grisly and graphic and gruesome they can be now, but to each his own.

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

A lot of the producers think blood and gore will make the movie better. I disagree, did all the “Halloween” remakes beat the ‘78 original…nope.

11:47 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Sigh. Moderated for an innocuous comment.

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

IT got you.

11:51 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

We all float down here.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Good one!

14. Realme
    11:38 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

I guess they didn’t play the alleged Sean Miller wire tap court, or we’d have heard about it.

11:41 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

The judge didn’t allow some of the wire taps to be played in court.

• Realme
      11:48 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

Wonder if the NCAA will get them anyways…

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am October 19, 2018 Permalink

NCAA ignored UNC. If they ignore LSU, Kansas, and Arizona; they might as well just give UL their banner back. Memphis and UMass, too.