Throwback Thursday: That time West Virginia talked trash

For Kentucky fans, four-year players are an oddity, so imagine my surprise when I pulled up West Virginia’s roster and saw that Daxter Miles and Jevon Carter, the players that talked trash to a 36-0 Kentucky team back in the 2015 Sweet 16, are still there. In fact, the seniors are the Mountaineers’ leading scorers.

You probably remember Miles’ comments the most. Then a freshman, he had the nerve to predict the Mountaineers would knock off the Cats, something no other team had been able to accomplish so far that season.

“Tomorrow they’re gonna be 36-1,” Miles bragged. “They’re gonna be 36-1”

If that wasn’t bad enough, he went one step further, telling reporters he didn’t think Kentucky played hard.

“I don’t think they’ve played a team like us,” Miles said. “To me, they don’t play hard. To me, they don’t play as hard as we play. Nobody is invincible, so their time will come, and I think we’re going to pull it out.”

Meanwhile, Carter really made it personal when he mocked the Harrison Twins for playing Nintendo:

In honor of Throwback Thursday and Saturday’s game in Morgantown, let’s look back at how that game turned out.

As expected, Kentucky used the smack talk as fuel and blew West Virginia out 78-39 in one of the most lopsided defeats in NCAA Tournament history. Not only did Kentucky’s 39-point margin of victory tie for the largest in Sweet 16 history, it was only the second time a team doubled up its opponent in a regional semifinal or later. It was the first time since March 26, 1949 that a team has failed to score 40 points vs. Kentucky in an NCAA Tournament game. It. Was. Awesome.

Keep in mind, all of this domination took place on a night when Karl Towns scored only one point and Aaron Harrison dislocated his finger. Like the boss he is, Aaron popped it back into place and returned to the game, scoring this bucket over the guy who made fun of him and his brother for playing Nintendo:

andrew-no-look

West Virginia scored only 18 points in the first half. Their 39 points at the end of the game were the fewest in the Sweet 16 since the adoption of the shot clock. They only shot 24% from the field the entire game, the lowest percentage by any team in a Sweet 16 ever. Daxter Miles was 0-3 for zero points.

wvu-bench

Don’t worry; Devin Booker made sure to remind him of his trash talk after the game:

Willie Cauley-Stein’s reaction to Miles’ comments ended up being the best prediction of all.

“Now I’m kind of juiced. This game is going to be really fun. They made it kind of personal now. It’s just going to be one of them games, that I’m telling you, if you want to watch a good game, you’re going to want to watch this game because dudes is lit. Dudes is really ready to play.”

Relive the glorious win below:

Regardless of what happens Saturday, this will go down as one of my favorite Kentucky basketball games of all time, and for that, I have Daxter and Jevon to thank.

[mobile_ad]

21 Comments for Throwback Thursday: That time West Virginia talked trash

1. timbo
    8:25 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Except that is ANDREW Harrison in the gif… come on. Andrew = #5, Aaron = #2! ?

2. maximumscott
    8:30 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Man. What a team. The one that got away. The more I watch the more ot hurts. How did we not win the title that year?!?!? Dang.

3. wildcatfan20
    8:45 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

That was one of only two Kentucky basketball games I have gotten the privilege of seeing in person. It was an incredible game. Wish they could’ve finished it off that season.

4. shelby
    8:48 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

I hope Cal shows this year’s team some film of this…what is possible when u play aggressive, completely unselfish, and as hard as u can!

• trumpetguy
      10:33 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Shelby, I was thinking the same thing, but man, talent disparity from then and now is HUGE! Crisp ball handling and passing will go a long way to being a much better team.

• binarysolo
      12:06 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

It isn’t fair to compare this year’s squad to 2014-2015.

Look at it like this: if we were to swap the current freshmen class with that year’s, the starting lineup might be something like WCS, Marcus Lee, Kevin Knox, and the twins. But all the other current freshmen, who are starting right now, will definitely be coming off the bench. And this fantasy team would get destroyed by the actual 2014-2015 team.

There’s your difference.

• Catsby80
      8:25 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think anyone was comparing that team to this team, because as you said, how could you? Shelby was simply pointing out that when you play team basketball and play an aggressive style of defense, good things happen. This year’s team could certainly learn a thing or two from that team.

5. Rabbi Li
    3:16 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

The 2014-2015 team didn’t win the National Championship because Calipari decided to play:

1. Andrew Harrison over Tyler Ulis
    2. Aaron Harrison over Devon Booker
    3. Alex Poythress over Trey Lyles

I trust Calipari… he made his decision and rolled the dice that year on 3 positions (he has to do it every year… but that specific year it didn’t pan out). I think if you do it over you flip all 3 of those positions and you win a National Title.

• Jelleyjr
      4:19 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Disagree about Poythress, he was out with ACL, so how does he factor in that?

• Rabbi Li
      6:02 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Jelleyjr – November & December of a one & done Freshman season is critical for their development (if you want them to be available as a factor for the NCAA tournament).

Poythress played halfway into December.

You have every right to point out the case on Poythress (#3) isn’t as clear and dry as Ulis & Booker, however the end result is the same… a Trey Lyles that wasn’t prepared properly to help us down the stretch.

Calipari has to make decisions. I don’t fault him for it (it’s his job to roll the dice and make judgment calls). However, that doesn’t preclude the analysis.

• Rabbi Li
      6:12 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

BTW… I’m from the school that says you play the best 5 players.

As the season progresses you reward unselfish winning. If the best talent doesn’t play team basketball you sit them on the bench. They learn how to win the right way… instead of accumulating wins for the stat book that will haunt you in March.

A head coach must look at their roster in August and say honestly:
      1. Where is my talent?
      2. Who do I have to develop to have the best chance at winning in March.
      3. What do I have to do to get that talent where they need to be by March.?

You can’t do anything about injuries (that’s handled in the years prior with having a proper bench).

Everyone in the state of Kentucky who is a basketball junkie knew Ulis & Booker (if given the full season to develop that year) would be your best go to options at the 1 & 2. And having the Harrisons as backups is the luxury of Kentucky Basketball.

• BBNDan7
      8:55 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

But you didn’t complain the first 38 games did you?

• theWilkman
      10:11 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

“I’m from the school that says you play the best 5 players”

What school was that? I haven’t heard of the great coach Rabbi Li. You arm chair, hindsight coaches are the worst. The Harrisons were two of our most consistent players that year, without them we wouldn’t have sniffed 40-0. Booker was just barely coming off a terrible stretch of games a month long where he couldn’t buy a bucket, and his defense was not good. Every time he was in, Dekker scored on him. Jelley already pointed out Alex’s torn ACL.

Coach Cal isn’t perfect, obviously, but this is pure hindsight bias. We all knew from the beginning of the season that Wisconsin was the one team that could knock us off, and they did. Play them best of 3, 5, 7, whatever, and we win, but that one game they made the shots and pulled it out.

• Saul T. Nuts
      12:19 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Geez, and how quickly he forgets that Aaron and Andrew took us to the championship game the year before…so Coach Cal had loyalty and confidence in the Harrison twins? Yup…I did too.

6. Jelleyjr
    6:45 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

Cal admitted to making the mistake of not playing Ulis down the stretch. However, you would’ve thought that Twins, who played a good tournament, would’ve taken you down the stretch. Wasn’t case, but easy to nitpick afterwards.

7. henderblue
    7:25 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I hope our ‘dudes is lit’ Saturday.

8. GM1978
    7:55 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I was working near Morgantown for that game, and was outnumbered about 45-1 in the bar……WV fans had given up before it was even halftime

I made sure they suffered for the full 40min though

9. That was an awesome game, but I still can’t not think about the Wisky game. *sigh*

10. BigBlueNationDude
    3:42 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Why didnt cal go with ulis and booker over harrisons at the end. Grrrrrr. Saban went with his backups and won. Cal squandered the best team maybe ever in college

11. BigBlueNationDude