Three Match-Ups To Watch Against Wisconsin

Andrew Harrison Vs Bronson Koenig

Via Star-telegram.com

In last year’s Final Four game against Wisconsin, Andrew didn’t exactly have his best game of the tournament. He shot just 4-14 from the floor, played just 14 minutes of the first half due to foul trouble, and his biggest contribution may have been telling his brother to “go-go” as time was winding down. Tomorrow I think his impact is going to be much more significant.

First of all he’s bucked that tendency to drive the lane hoping for a foul and throw up a prayer. Instead of 14 shots per game he’s cut back to an average of 4.5 during the NCAA tournament. He’s taking care of the ball extremely well. His defense is lightyears better than what we saw last season. He’s a totally different player. In last year’s game Koenig came off the bench to score 11 points. If he hits that mark against Andrew 2.0 I will be shocked.

Sam Dekker Vs Willie Cauley-Stein

The nation’s premier 7’0 defender against the one of nation’s most versatile 6’9 scorers.While Dekker doesn’t do much with his back to the basket, he is a solid spot up shooter and excellent slashing to the rack for a lob. Both things Willie should be able to control pretty effectively. WCS may not finish the game with a ton of signature blocks but who ever his is guarding should see a drop in the shot output. Dekker is responsible for 20% of the Badger’s scoring this year and an even higher percentage in the tournament. Shut him down and it’s hard to see Wisconsin finding a way to win this game.

Karl Towns/Dakari Johnson Vs. Nigel Hayes/Frank Kaminsky

I think man-beast Julius Randle defended Wisconsin’s entire team last year. (Via jrn.com)

One factor for both teams keeping the game in control early will be keeping Karl-Anthony Towns and Frank Kaminsky out of foul trouble. For that reason I don’t think we’ll see the Kaminsky/Towns battle get going until the second half. So if Towns isn’t guarding Frank the Tank who do you put him on? Well, it’d have to be 3rd leading scorer Nigel Hayes which is a matchup that favors Kentucky. Hayes won’t be scoring over Towns or Dakari and if he’s taking shots out around the perimeter that’s better than Dekker or Koenig taking them.

While Dakari is in the game he should be able to go head to head with Kaminsky without worrying about foul trouble. He did pretty well last season as a freshman and he’s only improved since that match-up. How Cal rolls out the defense for the first half should be one of the more interesting games within the game tomorrow night.

Who you got?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

10 Comments for Three Match-Ups To Watch Against Wisconsin

1. jeffj
    9:59 pm April 3, 2015 Permalink

great info Andrew. heard ya loud & clear. GO CATS !!!

• BanjoBeliever
      12:18 am April 4, 2015 Permalink

Andrew is such a better player now. And if the CATS bring their A game – they should win this game by 10! Let’s hope they come out with a lot of energy and see something of what they gave to WVA. lol…

2. Katya
    10:18 pm April 3, 2015 Permalink

I’m more worried about Dekker than Kaminsky honestly. I think we’ll be okay. This Wisconsin team is better than last years but our team is much better than last years too. Cats by 8.

3. plumloopy
    10:44 pm April 3, 2015 Permalink

Boy, I’d love for us to build a 15 point lead by halftime. I could see it happening although it’s not likely. Hard to believe we were favored by two last year as an 8 seed.

4. PatrickSparksDoubleChin
    10:50 pm April 3, 2015 Permalink

Got to play smart tomorrow. The refs don’t call many fouls on the floppers for some reason. Have a feeling the twins aren’t going to be able to get away with bulldozing their way down the lane in this one.

5. Ridge Runner
    6:28 am April 4, 2015 Permalink

The outside shot falling (3’s from Booker/Twins and Trey’s mid range jumpers) are the huge difference maker in this one for me. That will determine how comfortable or how nervous we will be as the game moves along and ultimately how much we win by.

6. rockatao
    7:22 am April 4, 2015 Permalink

You’ve got Willie on Dekker and Towns on Hayes. Who does that leave guarding Kaminsky?

• cats42301
      7:41 am April 4, 2015 Permalink

Tyler Ulis I am guessing. 😉

• Andrew Cassady
      10:14 am April 4, 2015 Permalink

The Cats switch constantly on defense so the match-ups are a little tricky. It’s almost a Venn Diagram of our three bigs.
      Willie- Kaminsky, Dekker, Hayes
      Towns/Dakari- Kaminsky, Hayes.
      Lyles- Dekker, Hayes

In the second half Towns will mainly guard Frank the Tank.

7. cats42301
    7:39 am April 4, 2015 Permalink

I just watched last year’s UK-Wisconsin game and I must say I feel a lot better than I did before watching it. I don’t see anything that reminds me of notre dame’s offense, at least in that game. Dakari and Julius Randle guarded Kaminsky most of the game and both held their own. Dekker and Kaminsky had a total of 11 FG attempts 8 pts for Dekker 15 for Kaminsky. We were down 5 pts with about 5 mins left. We go up 73-71 with 2:11 left and of course win on Aaron’s 3 ..74-73 so a total of 5 points were scored last 2:11, didn’t remember that part. In any event I’m not saying it’s going to be easy but seeing last year’s game and knowing we now have WCS, KAT and more weapons than last year made me feel a lot better. If anyone else has it recorded I suggest you watch at least part to ease your anxiety. 🙂