This move will make Bam Adebayo some money

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 10.51.50 AM

You probably wouldn’t know it if you only watched him in games last season, but Bam Adebayo has some handles and a decent midrange shot. However, he sacrificed that aspect of his game for the betterment of the team by staying inside as the Cats’ center, which isn’t his natural position.

Now Adebayo’s getting a chance to show off his other abilities at the NBA combine, and he’ll make some extra money if he can prove he can do this consistently:

Who is that guy?!

Go Bam.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for This move will make Bam Adebayo some money

1. KYcats11
    11:02 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

2. KYcats11
    11:03 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Big daddy bam

3. Angelo
    11:22 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Cal favors dunks over threes.

4. jrdh13
    11:32 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

shesshhh did Cal mess Bam up too

• 3Goggles
      11:46 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

I sincerely hope this is sarcasm. It’s one thing to have the athleticism to do those things against air. There is a reason he wasnt doing it in games though.

Also, can we stop accusing Cal of “messing” players up? I think his track record speaks volumes against that silly notion.

• jrdh13
      12:00 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

I was kidding but Cal does admit to messing up Skal?? I mean look at the kid in the NBA!

• catsarerunnin
      1:41 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

You say you were kidding with the Bam comment then ask if he messed up Skal??

5. AllBlueAllDay
    11:53 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

With a pull up game like that.. Looks like Isaac was giving out some free lessons after the UNC game.

6. Jiminy Crickets
    11:59 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

same thing we saw with Boogie, AD, KAT and most recently Skal. Cal doesn’t “mess players up” even though those were his own words, specifically with Skal. He however does have tendencies to put big guys on the block and forces them to play back to basket, and grab rebounds and alley-oops for dunks.

7. ukbradstith
    12:20 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Bam shot lots of midrange jumpers this year. Probably averaged a couple a game. Bet his percentage was pretty good too, so this isn’t a surprise. Nice ball handling though. And yes Cal does build his big men from the inside out. Most of the time this is a great strategy, requiring the post players to become dominant post players, rebounders, defenders, etc. All the big men had game beyond what they showed at UK. But if the big guys are allowed to float on the perimeter from day one, they don’t develop into the monsters they have become. Seemed to work for everyone except Skal.

8. LegggoooCats
    12:30 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

This version of Bam is perfect for the modern-day NBA where 4’s and 5’s are now able to stretch the floor instead of being your old school back to basket big men that have become nearly extinct in the league. I trust Cal’s recruiting 100% but don’t believe he’s a Top-5 coach. He’s often stubborn to a fault, and this would be another example of not allowing a player to access their full game. I know titles are incredibly difficult to come by, but I believe the majority would agree that having just 1 in his time here, with the overwhelming talent that’s rolled through Lexington, is a major disappointment.

• RealCatsFan
      12:51 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Major disappointment? SMH…

Maybe Cal was helping Bam to develop his inside game to help him maximize his potential. I think that was the case with KAT. He already had a fairly polished outside game for a big man, but to succeed in the big boy NBA league, he needed to learn how to bang and play back-to-the-basket. Not all of these bigs were played that way in high school. Cal walks the walk when he talks about “players first”. Seems to me that it is working pretty well for him. (And yes, I would like to see a few more championships too – sometimes luck has something to do with that.)

9. BigBlueSean
    1:52 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Lol I love the folks that claim Calipari is the reason Towns and Cousins and most bigs are soo good on the block. Towns has the skills on the block all along. As did guys like Cousins, Towns, Noel, AD, Skal etc…. What Cal does is he tries to get you to embrace physicality. I will give him that fact but these players had these skills beforehand. I see Bam being a case of Julius Randle 2.0. Sure he was good confined to the block, but a huge aspect of why is so good is his size and ability to take someone off the dribble at that size. Bam is the same way…and he has a jumper.

Cal is stubborn to a fault. And 1 title is a major disappointment. I give him credit for his final fours. But you have 2008 (Memphis), 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015…

In all of those cases you can say 1 of 2 things. Cal either had the best team in the nation, or he was the best team left in the final four (2011,2014)…and he came up empty handed 5 times in the past 8 years. You cannot sit here and say with a straight face that you give this amount of talent (28 1st round draft picks, 3 #1 overall) to Roy Williams, Coach K, Izzo, Pitino, Billy Donovan, Jim Calhoun and think they dont cash in on AT LEAST 1 more title in those 5 years.

Matt said the other day on the show ” What makes John Calipari is his elite 8’s”. How many elite 8 banners are hanging in Rupp? Is it a lofty standard? Probably but this is what happens when you get paid 9 million at the best program in the history of the sport with unlimited resources and #1 recruiting classes. The nature of the beast. Cal needs 1 more title desperately. I know he is a HOFer but he isnt in the same realm as Coach K, Rupp, Wooden, Smith, Donovan, Pitino until he too has MULTIPLE titles….

• RealCatsFan
      5:28 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

As a better in-game strategist, I’ll give you Pitino, K, and probably Izzo. Williams has had essentially the same talent as Cal for multiple years, and he gets a lot of those players to hang around multiple years. What has Donovan done since he had lighting in a bottle with Noah and Co?

Don’t get me wrong, all are great coaches, and yes, I have my criticisms of Cal. Hopefully he will be in that “multiple titles” club to quiet down some of the noise. On second thought, the complainers will probably just find something else to complain about! 😉