“They went at each other”: Travis needed IV after battling Silva

EJ Montgomery earned Player of the Game honors to go along with his first double-double of his career, but don’t let Montgomery’s breakthrough night completely overshadow what Reid Travis did. Because Reid Travis played his tail off against one of the best big men in the Southeastern Conference in South Carolina’s Chris Silva.

Coach Cal was quick to single out Travis’ play in his postgame comments. He said, “Just understand Travis had 9 and 11, but without Travis, Silva probably goes for 25 and 11.”

“The kid’s in there exhausted,” Cal added, talking about Travis. “We’ve got him on an IV. Him and Silva just went at each other.”

Silva had only four points and four rebounds, one week after he went for 28 and 10 against No. 1 Tennessee. Tennessee, a team known for its bruising physicality inside. That physicality has been a weakness at Kentucky under Calipari… until now.

For Calipari, Travis is unique in that he is the first strong, physical, veteran big man he’s had in Lexington, and Cal is thrilled to finally have that weapon to match up with some of the bigs in the SEC. “If they have a guy like that,” Cal said,” we got one, too.”

“Thank goodness we have Travis on this team. Reid, he’s a beast. He is a beast.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for “They went at each other”: Travis needed IV after battling Silva

1. michaelb
    11:04 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

There’s no words to describe Reid’s service he brings . I keep thinking about if we didn’t have him . We’d be 13-10. Like no exaggeration. He also shows these underclass men how to carry their self. So many different ways uk basketball is benefiting from picking us that impressive forward . I hope he goes first round – he deserves a shot. I think he will make a great pro . (After learning what type person he is )

• JASUN74
      3:19 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

No we wouldn’t be 13-10. We may have lost another game and at the very most two!! Cal always figures his team out and adapts. Who’s to say EJ or Nick wouldn’t be farther along with out Travis. I’m 100% they. Would’ve because that would’ve gotten more time to do so!! Now of course I’m very glad we have Reed and he’s become a big part of this team, but we would still have been rolling if he hadn’t come here to begin with.

Not that it matters, but if Reed would have went somewhere else, we would’ve probably got someone else. Not the same type of player, but you get my point.

• JASUN74
      3:21 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

Sorry! Spellcheck changed Reid’s name on me and I didn’t even notice. Thanks. Ohh and Michael, I’m glad we don’t have to find out how we would be without him this year. Lol. Thanks buddy

2. J-Dub421
    11:07 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Reid Travis plays grown man basketball.

3. BluemanGreen
    11:31 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Reid the first? Boogie might have something to say about that

• bigbluebanana
      12:00 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

Boogie wasn’t a “veteran” when he played here. I think that’s what the statement implies. Reid, however, is very well seasoned.

• J-Dub421
      12:01 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

Julius Randle as well.

4. 8 god
    1:04 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Uhhhh Patrick Patterson ?