randle

The Sporting News’ 2013-14 college basketball Top 25 is out and your University of Kentucky Wildcats sit atop the preseason rankings. Here’s what Mike DeCourcy had to say about his No. 1 squad:

Archie Goodwin turned pro but Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress are back. Losing Goodwin is not without its costs, but what the Wildcats really needed in order for their overwhelming influx of young talent–the No. 1 prospect in the 2013 class at four of the five positions–to help the team confidently challenge for an NCAA championship was physical maturity in the frontcourt along with at least a hint of veteran leadership. And they’ve got that now.

The rest of the top ten:

2. Michigan State
3. Louisville
4. Duke
5. Arizona
6. Kansas
7. Michigan
8. Syracuse
9. North Carolina
10. Oklahoma State

[The Sporting News: College Basketball Top 25]

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for The Sporting News releases preseason basketball rankings, Kentucky is numero uno

1. Louisville1Cal4
    4:12 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Randle is going to kill people this year, I feel sorry for whoever has to try & guard him.

2. tom
    4:21 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Correct me if I’m wrong but this has been on the newsstand for a couple of weeks now. I’ve been reading the pre season magazine since last weekend. I thought you all had reported the top 10 earlier sponsored by 247 sports who I believe is the publisher of the mag. Whatever…it is good to see the Cats on top.

3. Bman
    4:21 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

I wonder how many other teams out there have 3 top-ten preseason teams in their nonconference schedule?

4. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    4:30 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

BAM. We’re going to absolutely kill some people this year. Hopefully we will get to see a lot of Derek WIllis and D. Hawk in those games. Lets roll some FATTIES.

5. RealUKFan
    4:32 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

It is hard to figure how so many people have ul near the top. They have no point guard and no center. Those two positions are critical and their talent level is very suspect.

6. Eddie (AI4UK)
    4:39 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

I feel sorry for the other teams. Go Big Blue!!!!!

7. True Blue
    4:42 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

5. I totally agree, there is NO way ul is even top 10. It will just make it all the sweeter watching their fans get all built up only to be smacked by reality at 200 MPH in the face.

8. Stop Hammer Time
    4:48 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

7). I’ve actually seen two mocks that have Chris Jones being drafted in next years draft. One had him as a first rounder. Crazy I know. Guess a couple people think they have a good pg coming in.

9. J in Orlando
    4:52 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Have you all looked at Ul’s schedule? Thats why they are ranked high. Like their football team, it’s a “path of least resistance” ranking. Same reason Gonzaga was a 1 seed last year and then lost in the round of 32…not an upset really, just Gonzaga wasnt a top 10 team. UL will be in a similar situation…not one of the 10 best teams, but will get a 2 seed, lose early, and everyone will call it an upset.

10. inlinefor9
    4:58 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

UofL will hurt more from losing Deing than Siva. Jones just needs to be servicable for Russ Smith and whoever they rotate at the wing. But down low, they will hurt. Harrel might have a long wingspan but he’s short and not a 5. He’s a 4 and that is where they will really hurt. They’ll be an extremely small team. BUT if Jones cannot handle high pressure on-ball, then he could cripple UofL. He has to be servicable enough for Smith to get the ball.

Having said that, we’re going to be insanely good and better than everyone. But it should be a great year for college basketball. A lot of good teams.

11. bigbluetrue
    5:01 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

I recently read an article in which Pitino said that they were “loaded” at PG this coming year and that position was not going to be of much concern. I just hope that they are undefeated and ranked #2 when they play us. I want to see if he still feels the same way after we wax them.

12. brain
    5:03 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

They’re ranked high because they are defending champs with some returning pieces. It’s not rocket science.

13. Schedule expert
    5:09 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

I think ul really needs to watch out for bunny hop university that’s a HUGE trap game between the sisters of the poor vocational school and THE Helen Keller school for the gifted ESPN Ocho game of the week.

14. Oscar de la Combs